Summer Breeze - Core Sound 17, Mk-3

Chick Ludwig

Ok, Don, like, it's a crutch.

Just been epoxy coating and doing some little details. I'll be working on the "small parts" while waiting on epoxy to cure enough to sand. Meanwhile, finally got my transom wedge from Graham. The little blocks on the port side are to screw into to mount the ladder. I can't through bolt it because of the cooler.

post-1823-0-60825000-1450317486_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, you guysssss. Actually, maybe I will add a "funnelator".

Don, some of the guys had them on their M.O.R.C. boats down in good-ol St.Pete."back in the day". (For you other old duffers that don't keep up with modern slang, "back in the day" is the same as "back in the good old days".)

And, PAR, we knew about surgical tubing way back then, too. We youmg-uns used to go to the land fill over behind Lake Maggiore, where the hospital dumped their junk, to find cool stuff like surgical tubing, test tubes, and such. Don't know why we didn't die of some horrible disease... By-the-way, Lake Maggiore used to have one of the fastest boat race courses in the world. Lots of world records were set there. We kids would go every year to watch the stock and alky races and inboard hydroplane races. Later, I raced my BSR (B-stock runabout) there, too.

Robert, as clever as your idea for a IVSTTS is, I ain't sharin my sweet tea with ANYONE. Especially with folks like PAR who don't show proper appreciation for our fine southern sweet tea standards. Well, I MAY share a spam sammich wif him.

It'd been fun reminiscing with y'all, but now I've gotta go build a rudder. See ya later.

Chick, what do you need a crutch for, I trust you haven't had another "unfortunate " event?

I made my mizzenmast crutch from a bit of the tube left over from my bow sprit build. If you think I was hard on docks before, watch me with the rinho attachment!

Jay, another wise guy!

"STAND BY TO RAM!!!!" is your new mantra? Hey, you may have just invented a new Olympic sport. Sailboat jousting...

Still haven't gotten to that rudder, but while your waitin', here is a picture of the ladder. It folds up and sticks up in the air just like Mr. Zuki on the other side. Now I'll have matching mizzen sheet snaggers on both sides. Whooooopie!

post-1823-0-81860500-1450384194_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'ts been raining all day so I couldn't move stuff outside to give working room. I've got small parts scattered all over everything with wet epoxy on them.

Here's a picture of my rudder cheeks with a layer of glass on them. These will be facing inward to give some scuff resistance where the rudder blade swings.

Chick

How could you possibly glass/epoxy anything with the amount of plastic shown in your photos without getting it all over the shop?  That looks like something I would do.  I know from experience believe me. I would have little rivers of epoxy running off the plastic making nice little pools on my garage floor.

dale

Dale, yep, I know what you mean. Over many years of doing this stuff, I've gotten to where I don't have much epoxy running off. I squeegee over glass and move the "pool" around. I can just push any extra resin off where I want it. The main time I make a mess is in glassing the hull. Then I put cardboard or something down on the floor.

Well, good buddies, I tried to sand all of that epoxy coat that I slathered all over everything, but the sand paper just clogged itself all up. As they say Down East along the North Carolina coast, "It's all mommicked up!" It was applied on a couple of damp, cold mountain days and had a good coating of blush. The only thing that an old cracker boy could do is to pull the durn thing as far out of the ga-rage as I could before the casters rolled off of the pavement, and then wash the blush off with Mr. Garden Hose. Of course, water got EVERYWHERE! On the boat, in the boat, walls, ceiling, tools, floor---EVERYWHERE! But at least the blush is off---and the boat is clean, too. Now all I gotta do is wait for things to dry out so I can sand. Maybe after CHRISTmas---I dunno. Got a fan blowing into the cabin. Yep, got some spray in there too. Alan, said that they just go through lots of sandpaper until it quits clogging. Heck, y'all, I ain't no rich corporate giant---I gotta PAY for all that sand paper...

note: Mommicked From Down East North Carolina= Means to be worked to a frazzle,to be beat to a pulp,worn slam out. as in: Ya'll, I've been mommicked today, I have!

(It also means "all messed up" to some of those folks.)

Here's some pictures of the mess...

post-1823-0-55805300-1450824198_thumb.jpg   post-1823-0-81562300-1450824199_thumb.jpg

Pete, from my Dec.4th. posting: 

"I made and installed sheer clamps (For lack of a better name for them.) in the cabin between the anchor well bulkhead and aft cabin bulkhead. These kinda match the more traditional "theme" of my cabin. Their actual purpose is to give something to screw my rubrails into, In the cockpit area, there is already a "cleat" that the seats rest on that should be in the right place, and in the anchor locker forward, I'll screw from the inside out into the rubrails. The rubrails will be 1/2" wood with a SS cap."

Here's the picture.

post-1823-0-97091200-1450842484_thumb.jpg

The "sheer clamp" is 1/2" x 1" temporarily screwed from the inside with the screws later removed (See the discussion below.) and the holes filled.

I made the rubrail 5/8" thick and 1 1/8" wide. It is "trapazoidal" shaped. 1 1/8" on the backside and 3/4" on the face. The ss. rubbing strip just fits on the 3/4" face. I screwed the rubrail from the outside with sheet rock screws which were removed after the epoxy glue cured. The screw spacing is 12". As planned, I screwed from the inside of the anchor locker. By-the-way, sometimes if you leave the screws in until the glue totally cures, they will break off when you try to remove them. My trick is to back them out one by one and screw them back tight while the glue is not totally cured. This breaks the bond on the screw threads. For me, that means that I go out before bedtime to break them loose, and then I remove them the next morning. Anyway---works for me.

You could just leave the screws in. Whatever floats your boat. If you do, counter sink the heads and fill over them, or use ss screws. Just be sure that your screws haven't projected all the way through and stick out the other side! (Don't ask me how I know.....)

Hey Pete, ya outa make a "quick run" over to Hendersonville. I'd love to show ya around the boat building "complex" and talk boats with ya. I got a spare bed.

A little bar soap on the threads before driving, will make withdrawing a lot easier. Also, try not to use those damn black phosphorus drywall screws. They break very easily and rust with the mentioning of any moisture. I use the coated deck screws, which are much stronger and can used over and over.

• Like 1