Summer Breeze - Core Sound 17, Mk-3

Chick Ludwig

Sorry to hear about that. But while we are on the subject of dumb things we do with power tools while working on boats, I have a cracker. I had a small piece of wood that was slightly too thick for what I wanted, so I held the small piece of wood up against the electric hand planner and pulled the trigger. Guess what happened, you guessed right. The small piece of wood shot out the back and my left pointer went into the planner blades. There was blood everywhere. I got some masking tape and a rag and wrapped it up and continued working on the boat. After 2 or 3 days I thought I had better take off the masking tape and rag and have a look at the damage. By this time the top of my finger had stuck back down and now I have a funny finger print. I was very lucky to not loose more of my finger and to not get infected. What a boofhead. Next time something like that happens I will go to the doctor.

Thanks Minn and Rick. I'm not supposed to do anything for 6 weeks! I'm not gonna SURVIVE!!! Lord, give me patience, and GIVE IT TO ME NOW!!!!!!!

Tiger, NO-NO-NO----no saws all---she'll cut HER leg off....

Thanks PAR, I'm usually very careful, just a bad reflex action. (excuses,excuses,,,) I agree about the band saw. It looks so innocent sitting there humming away.

MM, glad to hear that yours wasn't worse. I'm gonna be VERRRRRY careful.

Chick, some serious advice from a guy who knows how to sit out an injury. 30+ fractures, innumerable soft tissue injuries, and one spinal cord injury (try 16 months flat or modified flat). Don't crash your bike.

Read. Duh. Read stuff you wouldn't normally, though. Tackle some classics.

Write. Seriously, brother, break out the long hand. Write a letter. Write a book. Write a whole journal of nonsense and burn it. Just write.

Pencil puzzles. Crossword, sudoku, the like. Try to make a magic square.

Draw. Can't draw, you say? 6 weeks of practice ought to tune you up nicely.

Start in on a new language. What else are you gonna do?

Sitting out broken right hand/wrist bones is how I learned to write and draw left handed, by the by.

You seem to have your head screwed on right, so just remember it's okay to relax. Keep your brain fooled, and time will fly.

The more you rest, the quicker you heal.

Yeah, I know. Remember I'm a fidget idgit, too.

Peace.

Good stuff "not so dumb old Robert". I do read a lot. I tend to read historical fiction concerning the sea. I love the Richard Bolitho novels. Also modern stuff by Clive Cusler. There are some classics I'd like to read. Done some. Just don't care for games. I do some writing like that down in the cruising stories on this site. I'm listening to music. Everything from classical to doo-wop to big band to Jackie Evancho and Josh Grobin. I used to draw a lot. good idea to get back to that. I also have been saving some models to build. I think I'll be able to do some of that once I get the "big club" wrapping off. Gotta catch up on a lot of paper work and filing. Some Bible studies I'd like to do. No reason to get too bored. Gettin plenty of rest. I'm being a good boy---mostly...

May God bless Chick

I never understand that phrase.  Is it a request?  A statement?  A demand?  I would think if Chick were truly blessed it would have never happened.

As a fellow table saw accident victim I feel your pain.  I am now a huge fan of featherboards and sleds with clamps.  They are especially helpful for angle rips, scarfs and narrow rips.  Or for working with small pieces of wood.

Dave, I'll definitely learn about featherboards and such. With the proper safeguards this would never happened.

God never promised that bad things wouldn't happen to any of us. But He does promise to hear our prayers and answer according to his will. I'm thankful to Him that it is not as bad as it could have been, and for the chain of "minor miracles" that occurred to get me through this "adventure". There is not room, nor is this the place to launch into a lengthy discussion on Theology. But I do trust Jesus as my Savior and Lord and am not ashamed to say so. It is not up to us to understand why things happen the way that they do. But one Bible verse that we think of is this: Romans 8:28 "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them."

There is a whole study that goes into this verse to understand it. I'd be glad to talk with you by phone or private message about this or anything else you would like to discus concerning why and what I believe.

• Like 1

Chick,

I had a very similar kickback incident but I was luckier.  I had the blade of the tablesaw at 45 degrees and I was doing a light cut on a small piece (too small - Stupid me).  I was feeding it with my right hand and I felt/saw the piece start to lift.  I tried to stop it with my left hand (my hand moved without conscious thought - I would never have done it if I had time to think about it).  Fortunately I was slower than you were and I didn't get my left hand into the saw blade before the piece hit me in the face.  The impact on my face (lower lip/teeth) sent my hand (and my head, for that matter) moving in a different direction (yay!).  It weren't fun seeing stars like that but I didn't end up permanently altered (just more careful).

Thanks to my Grandpa I've always been properly scared of power tools but it's so easy to get too familiar with the big, heavy stable ones and think they won't bite back.  Thank you for the reminder.  It's been a while (years) since my kick-back incident so I'll try to take your troubles to heart and get more careful again.

Ken, sounds like exactly what I was cutting.

The guys came up yesterday and got the Breeze flipped for me. Thanks to Don, David, Terry, And the other Don. All went smoothly and she's back in her shop/garage waiting on me to be able to get back to work on her.

post-1823-0-37606300-1442331845_thumb.jpg

Nothing really new on this picture. Just proof that she's on her own bottom. You'll note all of the runs and paint on the sheer strake. Word to those wiser than me. As soon as the waterborne paint hit the PAPER masking tape, the tape started to release and sucked the paint right under. Fortunately, I used plastic auto painter's tape on the transom, so it's ok.

• Like 1

Chick, I spent my youth and young adulthood as an apprentice painter, aka scraping boy/brush cleaner. Then in the middle there, along comes the spray rig and I'm suddenly Mr. Cut and Tape. Good gravy I spent so much time masking and cleaning up overspray and rolling over drips on stucco and unmasking. But still painting kitchens and bathrooms by hand.

And the cleaning. You know, you can't just stick a gun in the fridge overnight without cleaning it...

We raced one time when we had a gig painting apartments and two 1 bedrooms came up at once. I was brush only, he was open class, and we were alone. I had time to help him finish :).

To this day, I won't even touch so much as a roller, because I'm a pig headed old fool. Besides, it's fun to show up to paint a kitchen with two brushes and a few knives...

That said, I only paint oil based or latex based one part paints, or sometimes milk or egg paints. I have no experience with modern poly or epoxy style paints.

Chuck, paint is all about familiarity. If you stick with products your know, you'll get a feel for them and develop techniques and procedures that help smooth out the process and the finish. Each paint product "wants" stuff, which might be a wetting agent or something as simple as slower brush stroke, to dramatically improve the flow. You only get this by playing with it and learning what it wants.

Thought you guys might like to see my "club". Kinda looks like a lobster claw with the thumb and forefinger sticking out. The doc said that I could use them to pull up my pants.

post-1823-0-12488900-1442838725_thumb.jpg

That's the guilty saw in the back ground. It DID say that it's sorry. Alan calls it a Shark. Maybe you guys could come up with a new name for it. I've always just called it "the saw", but now that we've gotten up close and personal, I think he needs a real name.

Bruce? That's the nice shark from Finding Nemo. He wouldn't hurt you. On purpose.

Claw Saw? I mean, look at the claw it made.

Vacation Saw? To focus on what you gained rather than what you lost.

Manicure Saw? It did cut your nails.

The Colonel? Finger ripping good.

Please know I mean no disrespect with these goofy names to you or your egregious injury. I do mean to try and make you laugh, at least a little, because laughing always makes everything better.

Seems like you already know that, though.

Peace and continued healing.

Chick, I'm so sorry this happenned. I got my palm with a knife this past summer and it took 9 stitches to close it, but it healed nice and is finally good to go. It happened so fast. As a guitar player, yours is the nightmare. I hope you get good function back. I will tell yu a riving knife and blade guard are a pain in the A, and they slow you down, but are very much worth it. I think even a contractors saw like the "Shark" can have one. I close all my emails with "Take Care" and so I'm sending an extra for you....Take Care!

Okay, these were brewing during morning work session...

Digital Redaction Device?

You could call the saw your Left Hand, Man. That is the nature of your blood brotherhood, after all.

Dis-jointer?

Finger Jointer?

I truly apologize for my morbid humor. I have a circle of friends that relish absurd, dark, and gallows humor. Sort of an old fashioned seaman like way of shrugging off brushes with death. Again, with all due respect.