Jump to content

Steve W

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Steve W last won the day on November 12

Steve W had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

130 Excellent

About Steve W

  • Rank
    Advanced Member
  • Birthday 09/12/1961

Profile Information

  • Gender

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Any optimism of getting another sail is officially over. So I'm working on a few details. I had just laid my bunk storage lids under the cushions, but that has proven unacceptable. They mostly stayed in place, but not always. I was looking for an alternative to using piano hinge, but I couldn't figure anything else, so last night I cut piano hinge into suitable lengths and ground the sharp corners with a pedestal grinder. I bought some 1/4" long SS screws off Amazon because out local hardware store only carried 3/8 and even though I've spent a fortune weren't too keen on special ordering for me. Ever since they became and ACE hardware store it's been straight downhill. Oh well. Tonight I'll screw them all down. I got the depth sounder to install and I need to show you all the nice little drawer I put in under the companionway that holds my GPS and assorted stuff I need easy access too. Now, if Jay is reading this, I need more info on your two-way pump. You texted me pics of the install about 4 years ago which I somehow lost. I am sort of a Luddite, but I've conceded a pump would be nice for filling/un-filling the ballast tank.
  2. Dave, I haven't seen any data of transducers shooting through wood. Can you elaborate. I'm all about simple. Thanks, Steve
  3. Thank you, that sounds promising. The only spot I have to do this is in the compartments under the bunks. The easiest would be in the ones forward. They would not be flat on the boat bottom, but I could cut PVC pipe angled so the transducer would be facing straight down.
  4. I use a Samsung galaxy Tablet for navigation using Navionics and a Garmin hand held GPS so I pretty much know exactly where I am. But I ran aground in the Chesapeake when I was supposed to be in 8' of water. I suspect that a sandbar (mudbar) had shifted and my centerboard kissed the bottom. I want to add a depth sounder to Skeena. They make models that draw .1 amp so powering one off my solar system is no issue. I hate the idea of a transom mount transducer. In fiberglass boats I've bedded the transducer in a liquid and shot through the hull successful. I have a few questions the brain-trust may have experience with. Has anyone ever added a transducer inside one of our plywood/glass boats with success? If not, did you figure anything out that worked to allow shooting through the hull? Thanks, Steve
  5. Pete, based on my limited experience I'd say down-haul. Super bummed I missed this and especially the opportunity to sail Skeena next to Chessie! Love all these pics.
  6. Besides missing the event, I'm getting close to the last sail of the season. The days are getting short and the nights in the low 40's. It looks like you are going to have great weather. Take lot's of pictures. Here is another of Skeena winging it.
  7. I'm totally bummed, but yesterday I had my lead technician turn in his two week notice and proceeded to claim his vacation so he could start a new job immediately. I've treated him very fairly so I'm personally hurt more than anything. Suffice to say I went from being almost all packed ready to leave after work Wednesday to not attending. I am bummed so many ways. I was looking forward to showing off "Skeena", looking at some options you have all done to customize her, racing, sailing with all the other boats that inspired her and sharing stories. I've spent countless hours since MASCF going through a checklist of mods I made to be ready. Errrrrrrh! We are crazy busy and I was already driving straight and making it a quick turnaround. Now I'll just be working.
  8. For me, a lot of building is thinking to avoid mistakes and then thinking about how to fix the ones you made anyway. Looking great.
  9. I had a punch list of small things to do so I decided to tow her home. Thanks for asking.
  10. So I spent a week on the Chesapeake. One part of the trip was the MASCF trip to Wye Island. Here is a video of the adventure. If you don't have patience, at least head to the 2:30 mark. Lot's of fun! What a boat. I couldn't be happier. https://youtu.be/KOrlYOOprYw
  11. I have spent a few days on the Chesapeake and I'm getting the reefing technique down. More to follow, but there was a lot of this:
  12. One reef in the main. https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=03qfa72e5eKq5ov4BBrrRCHDLY9NeqmEO
  13. Looking good. I tried the pigment experiment and gave up. It just required more mixing, and measuring and in the end paint covered it about the same as the unpigmented. I had to give both two coats.
  14. Pete, I don't have my plan together for the Messabout, but I will probably drive half way Thursday (maybe stop near you), leave early and drive the rest of the way Friday. I have to start back later Sunday and won't be part of any extended cruise. I might leave later and get halfway home and finish up Monday morning. I have been trying to talk my wife into going, but it's not probable. She doesn't have the water gene. If she doesn't go I'd be happy for the company. I'll know in the next week or two.
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.