Ocracoke 20 in OZ

lenm

2 hours ago, lenm said:

Thanks Lotus!

Re HP, the Australian way is to overpower everything ?

I have ordered the smallest engine which has digital speed control (DEC) being the 150hp Yamaha.

There is a shortage of new motors over here at the moment (have been waiting since August for it to arrive from Japan).

I'm not too hopeful it will be arrive/be installed before xmas, so probably a mid January launch.

I hope your boat has been good?

Good HP choice , I'm pretty sure it hit 40 knots + , and will be very economical at cruising speeds . ( the bigger the better ? ) 

We are having great time with our boat  

good luck !

19 hours ago, Lotus said:

Good HP choice , I'm pretty sure it hit 40 knots + , and will be very economical at cruising speeds . ( the bigger the better ? ) 

We are having great time with our boat  

good luck 

40 knots! That's scary!

Good to hear you have been having a good time in your boat.

An Ocracoke 20B just launched in Cairns with a 150 yamaha and reported 39 knots. There are more pics of her on their FB page. Search CJH yachts. They called it the CJH 22 after their customizations. Here is one pic.  I believe this is the first 20b to launched. SmartSelect_20201114-084809_Chrome.thumb.jpg.000a8ac4ca4c6daf0168fddf6393d15a.jpg

An Ocracoke 20B just launched in Cairns with a 150 yamaha and reported 39 knots. There are more pics of her on their FB page. Search CJH yachts. They called it the CJH 22 after their customizations. Here is one pic.  I believe this is the first 20b

That turned out nice and great to see some renowned Aussie builders embracing 'wood' construction.

Most workshops are chopper gun and resin shovels

• 3 weeks later...

A photo of new tee top install and upper station for spotting fish on the flats.

I design out of lightweight large diameter alloy tube.

Looks like arrival of motor won't be until mid January now.

Quite disappointing after a 4 year build and considering I ordered in August.

Nevertheless, a first world problem..

20201204_130949-01.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Might be time to bring this thread to an end..

After waiting patiently for 4 months, the motor finally arrived this week (Yamaha 150hp DEC 2.8L)

I have to admit I was a bit nervous about the sea trials given the amount of hours which went into the project.

Despite a few minor setup/teething problems (to be expected), she floated perfectly on her lines and went like a dream!

I am so happy with the performance. A well mannered hull with such a dry and smooth ride. At-rest stability was great as well.

All the hard work was suddenly forgotten after seeing my wife and young sons face light up we put the throttle down - which was approaching 40knots on the yamaha gauge!
He has been a champ helping me out from time to time on the project and was 4 years old when we started (now 9 years old).
The only regret I have about the project is not finishing it in time for my father to see it (passed away mid last year ?

Most of all, I wanted thank to thank Grahame and the B&B team for such a great design, and plans which were so accurate and simple to follow.  You are a very talented designer.

If anyone is interested in the performance specs with this particular motor setup, let me know and I can post here once the engine has been run-in properly.

Thanks for following the build and anyone who offered advise along the way.

Regards

Lenny

Pic of launch and Yamaha tech, Brunswick River, Australia

IMG_9295.thumb.jpg.1b789f1ca053e922fb6dbdcb510244f9.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kennneee said:

Lenny- I have been following this build for a long time. Your craftsmanship is really impressive and the final product is a beauty! Congratulations and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Cheers,

Ken

Many thanks Ken! 

yes looking forward spending lots of family time out on it.

15 hours ago, PadrePoint said:

You have a very appealing boat. Great job. 

Thanks PadrePoint!