Pete McCrary

Core Sound 20 Mk 3 -- #4 "Chessie" . .

Pete, Nice job on all your boat alterations! I'm particularly interested in your OBM and motor well/mount. I've read and studied your pictures and plan to build something similar.  I haven't purchased an outboard for my CS  20 MK3 yet, I was hoping to get by with an electric trolling motor since I'm not fond of the noise and mess of gas. But I am coming to the realization that if I'm going to venture into near coastal waters and safely navigate high currents and shipping traffic I will need to be able to maneuver when the winds die. 

I am at the stage in my build just prior to installing the hatches and stringer material for the cockpit seating and I wanted to get my motor well mounted, my telescoping Garlick ladder mounted and backing supports for my eventual windvane. 

Therefore I will need to purchase an adequate outboard.  I was wondering if your OB was a Suzuki 4 or 5 hp ? I think they are basically the same overall dimensions? And if so does it fit and store inside your cockpit locker? I think I remember you saying it was a short shaft 15"? Is the wash plate below your transom? What are the dimensions of your well and height of OB mount above transom? 

Thanks, Mark 

Chessie's Reboarding Ladder is finished, installed, and in-the-shop tested.  Here's what it looks like.

image.thumb.jpeg.09f9f4a6b28d0097a86095fd3449b63a.jpeg

Stowed.

image.thumb.jpeg.6e94c0ddc0e77323d208c5b5da487375.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.85e2540ec92c2fe9377e8642128ae016.jpeg

Deployed.  Notice that I followed Paul's advice and applied "no-skid" to both steps.

image.thumb.jpeg.8ad2081251fdd3854fb32816c73460a6.jpeg

Left foot on bottom step -- torso mostly under water.  Ready to raise up.

image.thumb.jpeg.fec69e19e978e3beb1400bee50b46cc5.jpeg

Raising torso out of the water.  When in-the-water I might have to use both feet on the bottom step.

image.thumb.jpeg.1c244fdea4b137fdcc4c1aeaf1c95c11.jpeg

Left leg fully extended and torso completely out of the water.

image.thumb.jpeg.cf7cbe3a04bdec82b0e61355a024f8b4.jpeg

Left foot just off the bottom step ready to raise it all the way up and over the transom.

image.thumb.jpeg.2142246843d4e3954034d964f0fbc72a.jpeg

Almost there.

image.thumb.jpeg.374871961ad09a9882c9725e9ee802ae.jpeg

Approximate force diagram for just one side of the ladder.  I consider 116 lbs sheer stress on the hinge is modest and will not be a problem for the strap hinge (well bedded) with #12 X 1" SS FHWS.  For the dry-fit I used 3/16" line.  It felt inadequate for the full 200 lb weight.  I went with 1/4" -- and it feels much more stable with less stretch.

Complete on-the-water testing at the end of the month.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for documenting the design and the test. The angle away from the transom adds so much to the ease of use.

I'm all in on that free body diagram and your slide rule!  I was in about the last class in high school to use slide rules before scientific calculators became reasonable.  Yours is much nicer than my student rule.