CS17 mk3 hull #3 "Carlita"

Designer

Since Graham is busy building I thought I would post some pictures on his behalf. Not wanting to take up space on the forum and for "future proofing" I have an album online with all the good pictures I have taken of Grahams 17 MK3 that can be viewed HERE

Alan, I appreciate your efforts recording the build on your 17.  Bout ready for another installment?

Will  Graham's modular technique be used on the CS20 MK 3?  I am getting my shop cleaned up and ready to start a 20 mk3 after the MessAbout. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am at the stage of personalizing and customizing. I just made an outboard well. I did not want an ugly bracket permanently on the back to foul lines for the rare times that I might use a motor.

The mount was made for the 2- 2.5 hp range of motors because that is plenty of power and they weigh only 27-38# and easily fit through the cockpit hatches. You can see a wedge on the transom to get the outboard leg vertical on the forward raking stern. The cutout had to be made low as the small motors do not have reverse but rotate 180 degrees and the exhaust fairing now just comfortably clears the lower transom. I tried an old 6hp Johnson which does have reverse just to compare, it will fit if raised 3/4" or the lower motor housing will hit the upper transom. All of the components weighed 4 # which is lighter than most brackets, plus it moves the weight a little bit forward.

I like the idea of being able to stow the motor in the cockpit locker. A motor sitting on the stern seems to be begging for someone to take it

With a few adjustments any reasonably sized motor should be made to work.

post-127-0-53240600-1409492579_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

On Summer Breeze, I had to cut out the "notch" in the transom more to clear the tiller on my Suzuki 2.5 to allow the motor to turn all of the way around for reversing.

http://messing-about.com/forums/uploads/monthly_09_2012/post-1823-0-30071100-1347647845_thumb.jpg

As an aside (sorry to hijack your thread Graham) but very much relating for the CS17-MK3. Due to the intricacy and the number of parts that fit together in the MK3 kits we felt an assembly manual was in order. It may be a while before "plans" will be available for the 17-Mk3 or 20-Mk3 so the assembly manual includes all necessary dimensions and allows builders to complete the boat in CNC cut Kit form without a complete set of traditional plans. For this reason, the 17 and 20 MK3 can only be built via a CNC cut Kit OR using full size printed templates on mylar to trace out the parts. You see, it takes a fraction of the time to design and produce a kit using 3d modeling and CNC technology as it does to draw out a complete set of construction drawings for any given design. 

Below are a few screenshots of the assembly manual that is being developed for the MK3 kits. Once complete, we hope to offer the assembly manual via online download for a small fee for those wishing to research a future build or just daydream about it. Current builders of the 17-Mk3 are at this very moment using the working draft of the assembly manual to build their boats. We thank them for their help in refining the kit for the benefit of future builders!!!

13_install%20module%20and%20bulkheads.jp

20_dryfit%2520seat%2520tops%2520and%2520

• Like 1

We are excited about the quality and detail in the manual but as Alan said, it takes time.

To get the thread back on track here is the way I intend to finish Carlita. I have opted to put in a sliding hatch and cockpit dodger, big boat style and a fore-hatch that will give me access to the mast through the fore-hatch. I have enjoyed the protection of the dodger in bad weather a lot over the years and I am trying to turn her into my ultimate micro cruiser. It comes at the cost of having to duck down to go forward but it will allow me to keep the main hatch open in rainy weather when it is hot. It also allows me to stand up in the hatchway.

Being petite I think that red will be fun.

I forgot to mention that the dodger can dropped in moments which is the way that it will sail in good weather.

post-127-0-19707400-1422976206_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Rolando

There has been a dramatic evolution of the CS boats over the last few years. I am not sure what triggered it. I know Graham is always looking for and open to improvements in his designs. A lot of the changes are small almost unnoticeable improvements but the development of the Mk3 boats has been eye catching. Some of Graham's designs are driven by requests from customers. When I was first looking for a light sail boat with a cabin the smallest B and B design was the Belhaven. Several people had modified CS boats by adding a cabin so there was a demand for a small light cruising sailboat with a cuddy. There was the Mk2 with water ballast and cabin quickly followed by the Mk3 with water ballast and a raised deck cabin. These are all based on the CS design but some changes were made to the hull to accommodate the water ballast and cabin. I think I remember hearing that Alan was bouncing some ideas off of Graham and things just took off. Doug, Chick, Alan, and Graham of course all know much more about the development of the Mk3s.

Joe, I started off thinking that the Mk-2 was the way to go to make a cruiser out of the standard CS design. That resulted in the only CS-20 Mk-2. I didn't really like the Mk-3 concept at first. But the more that I followed the development, the more I liked it. This has resulted in my "begging" for a Mk-3 version of the CS-15 which is in the beginning design changes.

Graham has a genius for balancing design goals to get the most "living" space of a smaller size boat that will still perform well, and look good too. Not the case in most other designs out there. i can't wait to get started on my Mk-3!!!!!

Joe is mostly right on the evolution of the different marks. We did the mk2 for Chick which was a mk1 with a cabin with enough adjustments to make things work. It showed so much promise and there was a lot of interest shown in the boat and requests for kits. I decided that because there was so much work to develop a new model and get the tool pathing perfected, the building method optimized and a good building manual, it was worth starting from scratch rather than just adding to the mk1. CLC claims that it costs them about $100k to fully develop a new model to full production. 

Compared to the mk1, she has exactly the same rocker, the freeboard is 2" taller, the chine beam is a couple of inches wider to carry the extra load. All of the bulkheads are in a different position and the hull structure is different. The mizzen mast is further aft to create a rowing station. The sail area is larger because of the increased stability and the centerboard is in a different position. There are a lot of other small changes. 

I get a lot of calls asking if they can turn their mk1 into a mk3. The short answer is no.  

We are now at about 1 1/2 years since we started to create the mk3 series. If it was not for Alans help it would not be nearly as far along. I think that it was worth all of the effort because it has really worked out well. This does not mean that the mk1 is obsolete, it is still a great boat.