CS17 #260

ecgossett

Oh I had a lot of compliments from the yacht club members out on the Clubhouse Boat for a barbeque on my excellent boat handling etc. Well it was my first time, but I have to thank Randy Jones for taking me out, and getting a feel for it, it sure helped. This design is so simple, yet sporty that our STMYC commodore had no problem, did not need any explanations/tutoring, and smartly took it around the harbor then flipped around and parked next to the houseboat. When it's all said it's a easy boat to handle.

The 2hp Honda 4-stroke I tried was nice but for a little more weight am going to buy a 3.5hp not sure what brand.. With the very strong currents I fought today I would like a little more speed without having to go full throttle. The 2 did push the boat really really easy.

Possible Names (looking for feedback):

wayward traveler

Green Eggs & Hamm

Eat Peas

Feeling Nauti

Bite Me

DON'T PANIC (Upside Down)

Oh and maybe some SOS instructions upside down on the side as well *grin* for all those naysayers.

- Edward

PS I will be building the ladder Duck-works website recommends on the back. After swimming in the river today, the CS17 is not the easiest to get back on.

Congratulations on the launch! Beautiful boat. Major accomplishment. You'll always have a to-do list on a wooden boat; or as Hirilonde noted "A boat isn't finished until she sinks." I like 'wayward traveler'. Have you thought about 'deployment' ? That way you could always say "Let me check my calendar... oh sorry, I'll be out on 'deployment' that weekend." :D

--Paul

Ditto on "wayward traveler"--I like the spirit of adventure that conjures up. "Feelin' Nauti" is also cute, but maybe too cute... if it were me, I'd look back on it a few years down the road and the cleverness would eventually wear off so that I would end up disliking it. Paul's idea to call it "deployment" is also a good suggestion.

Not a bad idea. I just hope very much that I didn't miss any important structural things, or screw anything up that could sink me. I have already noticed one suspicious crack in paint on the aft end of the centerboard 3 inches along where the plywood wall is attached to post. Everything was coated and inside walls are glasses in 6ounce cloth. Maybe I didn't seal one side well enough.

The 2hp Honda 4-stroke I tried was nice but for a little more weight am going to buy a 3.5hp not sure what brand.. With the very strong currents I fought today I would like a little more speed without having to go full throttle. The 2 did push the boat really really easy.

Check with Graham on this ... there's no reason to buy more outboard than you need, and the extra weight on the transom will slow the boat down in light airs.

Oh I had a lot of compliments from the yacht club members out on the Clubhouse Boat for a barbeque on my excellent boat handling etc. Well it was my first time, but I have to thank Randy Jones for taking me out, and getting a feel for it, it sure helped. This design is so simple, yet sporty that our STMYC commodore had no problem, did not need any explanations/tutoring, and smartly took it around the harbor then flipped around and parked next to the houseboat. When it's all said it's a easy boat to handle.

Possible Names (looking for feedback):

wayward traveler

Green Eggs & Hamm

Eat Peas

Feeling Nauti

Bite Me

DON'T PANIC (Upside Down)

Oh and maybe some SOS instructions upside down on the side as well *grin* for all those naysayers.

- Edward

PS I will be building the ladder Duck-works website recommends on the back. After swimming in the river today, the CS17 is not the easiest to get back on.

Never name your boat with a pun. "Feelin' Nauti" only belongs on a large gin-palace powerboat owned by a strip-club manager!

As for the SOS instructions... No lie, I painted the centerboard on my EC challenge Daysailer bright distress orange. I figured if I ever turtled out in the Gulf of Mexico, it woud be a good thing to have a three and a half foot tall bright orange beacon for any rescuers to see. I'm planning on doing the same on my CS17 before next year's EC. Also, orange foils are FAST!

We have a 3.5 hp Merc on our CS20 and it does very well. I can't find it, but awhile back I had posted detailed performance measures on our motor based on real-world experience. That thread topic appears to have gone missing, though. The motor, at about half throttle, moves us at an average speed of about 5 knots (about 6 mph) and only slightly slower than that (about 4.5 knots) at one-third throttle. Anything over half-throttle is a waste of gas and significantly higher noise, but we have squeezed out as high as 5.9 knots of speed at full throttle (6.2 if we don't have the weight of the masts/sails aboard). There is plenty of reserve power, though, for combatting currents and winds. I suspect you would see similar performance on a CS17 using this motor, possibly slightly better.

Mine is a short-shaft, hung on a custom-built outboard mount. I'd probably buy a light duty "lifting outboard bracket" which should work with both a short or long shaft and also give enough extension aft to avoid fouling the sheets when the motor is tilted forward. Others have gone with that solution and should be able to recommend a brand. Garelick is one maker, I think.

Upgrading Rudder Post

In the process of removing the current tiller to upgrade it, I found a small crack in my rudder post After I cut it out I found paint and epoxy had worked there way inside the crack. This makes me think it was already existing in the wood. I used West Systems 106 Structural filler added to epoxy to fill it. The new piece should be strong.

DSCN3668.JPG In this photo you can sea the piece that was cracked and the epoxy & paint that penetrated along the crack.

DSCN3669.JPG Filled with filler and clamped together. This is good practice for emergency repairs underway.

DSCN3671.JPG I also finished my seats, 3M 4000 caulk and screws on outer part of hinge, and on lid part I used 3/8" x 1/2"long SS bolts backed with washers to ensure a strong seat.

DSCN3672.JPG

pbp.gif

The upgraded rudder post worked great, no creaks or groans from the wood!! After repeated fixes my 1958 Elgin finally works, I just can't pull the rope all the way out or it doesn't retract.

I finished/redid my sailing blog for the actual sailing http://cumberlandsound.blogspot.com

I did find that Dark Green paint scratches, rubes off very easily, two part might be tougher then one part.

- Edward

I've noticed mostly on my main sail the upper half of my leech, luffs a little even when I have good wind in the sail. Is this a result of not having battens installed yet??

I"m guessing you have the sleeved sails then? Does it have leech lines you could adjust?

Mine has the battened racing sails. Only problem I had was yesterday when I was letting the sail flog for a minute while fooling around in the boat, one of the battens launched itself out and sank. Didn't seem to hurt the sail at all, though. Going to buy a new one (and spares) pronto.

The other great trick I learned yesteday is that you *MUST* ease the snotter if you want to sail with the main by the lee in strong winds. I was going about 11 mph when eased a bit too far and the main boom split right down the glue line. (I didn't build it.) I'd always thought that glue line looked suspect and now I know.

I did discover you can sail downwind at a pretty good clip under mizzen alone in strong winds.