The Building of Old Codger

Chick Ludwig

4 hours ago, Chick Ludwig said:

I don't know how to reduce the size. I've posted hundreds of photos without a problem. Why now????

You should be good to go. I mis-read the configuration file and granted everyone a generous 2,000,000 kilobytes of file space when I thought I was giving 2,000,000 MB.

Kind of like when you mis-read inches for feet and end up with a dinghy 40 feet wide.

• Like 1

Thanks for fixing the photo problem, Frank. Action Tiger and I were experiencing "picture-post withdrawal" symptoms!

The young Master has given his approval for the frame spacing, so after a bit more fillet and glass tape, I can resin coat the whole area and make and install the berth top. Not gonna be much stowage room under, but there will be access hatches. I don't like any area that I can't get into for inspection. At least some folded charts and other skinny stuff will fit.

For my other reader, here are the pictures I promised ya last night.

I know that this looks like a previous picture, but on careful examination you'll notice a new transverse frame on either side of the "foot well" in the aft end of the cabin.

DSCN3379.thumb.JPG.ae3ecfc835e8c0b4ecb5ec19cdde405c.JPG

The area forward of this bulkhead will be in 3 layers. A well to drop the anchor rode into. (The anchor will be on a sprit. That's a "law" on all of my boats!) Below that will be a shelf for my cassette player, I-pod, speakers, and old cassette tapes. (If ya don't know what a cassette is, asks an old guy.) That is the open area you see. If ya lift out a hatch in the shelf, you'll access a stowage area for other stuff. Like a catalytic heater and gas bottle maybe.

DSCN3380.thumb.JPG.f456deff305cede1bfd6d33dcfab52ed.JPG

Dont forget a pencil along with your cassette tapes.  You can jam the eraser end into the geared wheel and wind back up the cassette tape if it ever comes unwound.  You can also include splicing tape if the tape ever breaks.

On a serious note I like the utility of the three level space.

Latest update. The details of the forward "triple-decker" area.

"Entertainment shelf" with the hatch to access the lower stowage area. There will be a "spindle" rail across the opening from the cabin.

DSCN3382.thumb.JPG.5206b1ee29c5d7212c4b33a5c51454e4.JPG

Shelf to hold the anchor rode. It will, of course, be filleted and taped today. It slopes down to the point of the bow where it will drain overboard.

DSCN3381.thumb.JPG.e92b846a8ed1813d034744bd03ee19b9.JPG

Here's a couple of pictures for y'all. My motor came today. FedEx brought it on a BIG truck that couldn't come down my little dirt road, so I had to go meet him with  my utility trailer. Between doing that and then getting it stashed in my shop, it took a good part of the morning.

The berth tops are made. Two halves joined in the middle. I'll show ya the unit after it's installed later this week. Meanwhile, gotta add retainers for the hatches and poxy the bottom. The hull is already poxied under where the top will go.

Mr. Tohatsu in his shipping box.

DSCN3385.thumb.JPG.c24206afa71123f0deb469235af39a59.JPG

I'm glad I saved my old drafting spline weights also known as "ducks" (Quack-quack!!!). They came in handy drawing the curve that fits against the hull on the berth top.

DSCN3383.thumb.JPG.01fd15569c8d2439ca8cd3184edd7b53.JPG

Here-s the spindle rail in the forward bulkhead that I told ya about in a previous post.

DSCN3384.thumb.JPG.67d44eaf4861d80b636044f90cecf826.JPG

I'm old enough to have learned to draft by hand and to loft on the floor. I know countless people that have made their own ducks and they look a lot like yours. I guess "Popular Mechanics" or someone printed a set of plans for the standard duck shape and it caught on. I made my own too, many  moons ago and still use them regularly. I have two sets, small and large, but I ignored the shapes thing. I used some stainless nails, bent to a hook and cast them in place on each duck, but mine aren't shaped like that. They do have some shape, but only for a comfortable place for your (my) thumbs and fingers to land. Mine are essentially a small brick with a depression on each side and a hook sticking out the front. The hook height was determined by the tallest batten I had at the time, plus about an 1/8".

• Like 1

Paul356. I've seen that, and it looks like a lotta fun, but mine just kinda kept growing to get the stuff I wanted in it. Did ya watch the videos? It would be great fun to have a group of guys, each having one. I can imagine the "games" we could play. Follow the leader, polo, water fights, chicken(!)......

PAR. Where's everyone been? Looks like you and I, and good 'ol 356 are the only ones on here. I made my ducks to look like the ones I used in Charley Morgan's design office. They were actually his. He also had a planimeter we had to use, 'cause it's the one he used designing Paper Tiger, and he thought it brought him luck. My hooks are stainless self tappers screwed in, with the edge ground sharp where they lay against the spine.

Nope.  I'm not sailing, I'm cooped up in a hotel. I'm here - I just haven't had anything good to add.  Go Chick! :)

Paul, what's on the back of that boat in the picture you posted?  It doesn't look like a regular outboard but maybe my eyes are just too tired to see it.

Ken, here's the home site for that little boat. http://rapidwhale.com/mini-boat.php

Guess life will be keeping me from the boat for a few days. Got an empty rental house we gotta do some work on. Dang! And with great boat building weather, too. Warm, dry. Oh, well....

I'm kinda deciding on a name for the boat. I keep coming back to Lost Cove. It describes the places we hope to visit. The mountain lakes are full of interesting coves.  In the past, in my fiberglass boat building days, I built a couple of lines of boats called Lost Creek and Lost bay. Lost creek were the little 11' 14', 15' and 16' open fishing boats, and Lost Bay were the bigger 20 1/2 foot center console skiffs. What do y'all think? Would a Lost Cove little power cruiser be a "he" or a "she"? I kinda think of it as a "him" cause of all the mischief we're gonna get into. Hey, Action Tiger, your opinion is especially valid.  ....unless I don't like it!

See ya sometime. Gotta go gather stuff to work on a house, actually, double wide. Yuck!

Nice name.  Very evocative. This way, we'll always picture you out in the mythical lost cove we're all always looking for with our little craft.  Plus it's nice the way it fits in your string of earlier names.

I have a hard time think of a boat or even a big warship as anything but a she, but that's just me.

• Like 1

We got home from working on the rental house, and I just HAD to drop the berth top in to see how it looks. Still gotta add the cleats for the hatches and poxy the bottom before glassing it in place. Probably next week.

I think we'll go ahead and name him/her Lost Cove. Paul, you'll have to come down to the beautiful Southern Appalachians and go boating to find those mythical coves. Bring turtles when ya come. By-the-way, Turtler says he wants a brother. No sissy old girlie boats for him ! We'll see how his/her personality develops.