Taylor and Alan's CS-20 MK3 #15

Alan Stewart

• 4 months later...

Mark, 

See here for the answer to why https://youtu.be/kn-gPOonXS0?t=561

Recommend is a strong word. I haven't seen how this holds up over time yet but I do have experience with the wooden keel strip. On Dawn Patrol our CS-20 it worked well. We took the extra step then of potting all of our screw holes for the stainless steel strip and I think that helped it hold up (meaning not get water in the wood) here are some pictures of that keel strip after 10 years of I would say light use (mostly just the annual everglades challenge but maybe 2-3 other regular annual trips) https://goo.gl/photos/GAfPCXY1yCaTj7ok8

On Graham's CS17 Mark 3 the wooden keel strip is in rough shape because the few trailer rollers broke down and put a lot of pressure on the keel which over time caused the epoxy to crack under pressure and then water slowly got to the wood. Part of the reason it was so hard to launch and prompted him to build the roller bed which works incredibly well.  See below. 

So basically I wanted to try a solid glass option. The other reason for the keel strip is to add some directional stability primarily for rowing which I don't plan to do. I did notice that without the keel strip the boat is affected by a crosswind more when motoring with the outboard which is expected but a few inches of CB down will solve that. 

There are no disadvantages to a well made wooden keel strip with a stainless hollow-back cover. One that is well coated and any and all holes put in it for a stainless rub strip are coated. I think this is generally proven to be low maintenance and durable provided enough trailer rollers are used. 4 minimum i'd say. 

The only advantages I can think of at the moment for what I did is that it is lighter weight and quicker to do. 

• Like 1

Thanks Taylor and Alan for great videos and building/finishing tips. We're back on that "Amanda" you Graham and Beth helped us construct a few yrs ago in Washington, and hope to finish her this winter in FL where we have a garage, and bring her back to NC in April. Bottom almost faired out.  Happy building and kit making. Stay warm and safe. Mick n RickZ

• 1 month later...

Alan, that look's awesome. Thanks for the update. I like the improvements you made. I watched a neat film this morning called "Return to Mount Kennedy". Between watching that and this This COVID-19 thing, I'm  even more focused on doing the EC next year than ever. I have a question for you. Will you ever use this boat for that and if so, what happens if you need to row/paddle?

Take Care,

Steve