Resources

Don Silsbe

I would like to suggest to my forum bretheren that we pool our resources.  Throughout these posts, I have discovered many great sources for building materials, hardware, screws, information, etc.  I thought it might be a good idea for us all to put our favorites in one spot, to make them easy to find.  

Let me start with my favorite sailboat hardware source, Annapolis Performance Sailing.  They have the best selection.  Their prices always beat West Marine, too.  Here's the link:  apsltd.com

Also, Pete McCrary recently listed a good source for sheet foam:  http://www.zoro.com/...cj5/i/G0451945/

• Like 1

The only problem I have with B&B is that they don't have their stuff on the website, so you don't know what they have or what it costs.  My experience is that their epoxy is reasonably-priced, as well as their glass tape.  Beyond that, I don't have any idea as to pricing.  

I get my chip brushes from Amazon (Prime) for $9/24:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXCFUOY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 

My gloves are also from Amazon. $10/100. These are very durable:   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF49M9E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

The only problem I have with B&B is that they don't have their stuff on the website, so you don't know what they have or what it costs.  My experience is that their epoxy is reasonably-priced, as well as their glass tape.  Beyond that, I don't have any idea as to pricing. 

Just call or e-mail Carla.    I used Paypal, and I would get the complete invoice before committing, though I never found reason to modify the purchase. Unless you find a close out or such you will be hard pressed to find better prices.  I always choose buying from small businesses instead of helping make CEOs and stock holders richer at the expense of starvation wage employees.  And if there is a problem, the solution is a phone call away.   I bought all my epoxy, sails and running rigging for my Lapwing from B&B

Here are resources for "Hand Knobs" and "fully-threaded" bolts:

http://www.carrlane.com/catalog/index.cfm/27225071F0B221118070C1C512A0A1F0900101B030010543C1C0C16190D172D252A5E435D58

I looked everywhere local and Internet for SS star (4-prong) Hand Knobs with "tapped thru" holes. Finally found this source, but it's pricey. My weakened grip requires a 4-pronged star type. I can't get enough leverage with the circular-six-lobes type.

I plan to use it inside the Cs20.3 cabin to secure the mast heel bolt. Here are pixs showing a mock-up configuration of the mainmast heel -- including the heel bolt, mast support template (Part #20b), tabernacle back-side, and Blk #2. Missing is the 2 degree "wedge" to offset the folded mast [to miss the mizzen when lowered]. The heel bolt is SS and threaded throughout. It's fixed to the forward side of the mast heel by means of a SS Wing Nut which is constrained (for tightening) by the "compression block" which is a slotted 3/4" (I.D.) PVC pipe.

post-4915-0-37291800-1452192014_thumb.jpegpost-4915-0-17097300-1452192085_thumb.jpeg

The SS 3/8" (100% threaded) bolt and the SS wing-nut couldn't be found at our local Home Depot or True Value -- however, Fastenal could order them for me for next day delivery.

post-4915-0-23757100-1452192394_thumb.jpegpost-4915-0-50357300-1452192428_thumb.jpeg

The kitty is "Paige," my 11 year old pussy cat. She has her own door to my shop and likes to keep me company -- except when the table saw is running. The small drop-leaf table is a family 18th-century heirloom reportedly made in Alexandria, Virginia, under commission by George Mason. It's Paige's daytime territory where she can watch the birds in our garden. But near supper time she knows that it's reserved for our family meal.