Spindrift 10 Build (by a 9th Grade Girl)

PadrePoint

Today, (after The Wheezer took a “week off” for school,etc. ?) I set her up with my palm sander and a long vacuum hose to connect to her Shop Vac for... epoxy sanding... in preparation for taping. She had already cut a lot of the fiberglass tape pieces, but some more prep work would be helpful for the taping.  For a first effort on making fillets I think she did well. 
Still this weekend, perhaps she can get to a couple things: glueing in the forward bulkhead (it looks like it is fitting correctly) and taping a few joints.  Sanding will be an ongoing thing for a while. 
The Wheezer is quite independent in these current tasks, and I’ve recently had some available time (along with a spurt of inner and motivating energy) to move my own boat build from the basement into my garage.  I can actually begin its assembly instead of just making some of the parts (like frames.)  I did, however, make canoe seat last month from a B&B Yachts downloadable plan. I will sand it again later and varnish it. Likely, I will make a few more. 

07A7E3F0-0D90-4611-B823-3EBFFDDDFBFF.jpeg

On 1/21/2021 at 3:43 PM, TheWeezer said:

Today point padre and l worked on my boat we got the some things epoxied down and we started on the filets! We plan to work more tomorrow and a little bit this weekend! CCB32B07-7077-44D3-9FA0-006B335F3428.thumb.jpeg.546fa904185c7c41698e9d9cb63fcc74.jpeg  

sorry i'm late to class

as i look on this pic i am reminded of a line that gets repeated often in the plans/instructions from Jim Michalak

MARK CENTER LINES BOLDLY

this procedure allows builders to keep track of the effects of their work on an assembly

i have placed a sheet rock screw dead center on the bow/stem and stern/transom of builds since reading this instruction and it aids in seeing and measuring the "squareness"  of a hull as it progresses

IMG_1197.thumb.jpg.c39c6bba768e2e2baa74710f1390b267.jpg

there is a slot in the tips of tapemeasures that hooks conveniently over the screw head(centered) that can be used for measuring diagonals

IMG_1198.thumb.jpg.14230d34366e10d824a20d8928b7836f.jpg

for pointy bow'd vessels measuring diagonals emanate from dead center fwd going to the aft corners

on prams the diagonals can be measured in both directions

keeping a string line/center line aids in casual monitoring

WEEZER, Great beginning

now onward thru the thread

sw

• Thanks 1

Today I got a lot of the tape and the first of three layers of epoxy done! It’s super fun to work on and all my teachers and friends are very interested in the build as well I get asked almost every day to see updated pictures! I even brought my plans into school one day and everyone was very interested!5A90F682-5012-4AB3-A034-98626B403596.thumb.jpeg.eeb4b745e94ac115ee0ef8f83c444807.jpeg

• Like 2

Oops

The Wheezer tried out my new power planer to taper the forward part of the seat stringers (you see, I NEEDED to get a power planer last week... because I found a reason that The Wheeler’s boat could use one ?.)

She got the taper nicely planed. When we tried fitting it..... oops... I had marked the taper on the wrong end of the stringer, making the beveled side of the stringer NOT connect to the side planking like it is supposed to.  ?

Now for one of the important skills of boat-building: how can I fix my error?

We tapered the other end appropriately and installed it. The first taper now butts into the transom and we’ll add some stock to it, making the stringer sufficiently strong. And, the fix will be hidden under the seat, never to see the light of day again. ?

36859255-6F5E-46F8-9F6B-EAE975F8F186.thumb.jpeg.18d1f67439891292bcb2fa317a140c36.jpeg

5 minutes ago, PadrePoint said:

Oops

The Wheezer tried out my new power planer to taper the forward part of the seat stringers (you see, I NEEDED to get a power planer last week... because I found a reason that The Wheeler’s boat could use one ?.)

She got the taper nicely planed. When we tried fitting it..... oops... I had marked the taper on the wrong end of the stringer, making the beveled side of the stringer NOT connect to the side planking like it is supposed to.  ?

Now for one of the important skills of boat-building: how can I fix my error?

We tapered the other end appropriately and installed it. The first taper now butts into the transom and we’ll add some stock to it, making the stringer sufficiently strong. And, the fix will be hidden under the seat, never to see the light of day again. ?

36859255-6F5E-46F8-9F6B-EAE975F8F186.thumb.jpeg.18d1f67439891292bcb2fa317a140c36.jpeg

a bit of thickened pox shaped just sew and some paint

only you will ever know

no knead 2 ask how i know ?

ws

I am not sure I am understanding the situation with the stringer. It is the side stringer you are dealing with I believe. The side stringer has a rolling bevel on the edge that lies against the hull so that the top edge of the side stringer is level with and in the same plane as the seat stringer.  I don't remember there being a taper to the side stringer but perhaps the plans have changed or I have forgotten. 

I understand the attraction of power tools but my tool of choice in this situation would be a block plane with even a modestly sharp blade.

The boat looks like it is coming along nicely and I think it is wonderful that your teacher and friends are interested.

Joe, I’m trying to provide experience with a variety of tools... a vertical belt sander yesterday for fitting the quarter knees and maybe a bandsaw today to cut several four inch hatch rings (for backing.) 

The stringer was cut (she helped use a table saw) with a 10 degree bevel. We tapered (trimmed) the forward part of the stringer to ease the bending into place and to increase the rolling bevel (to “17 degrees”) as it moved to the bow end.  I just had her attend to the wrong end.  Oops. So, she used the planer a third time. (I am loving how my planer is helping me fair my own current boat build. ?)  And, she’ll have the opportunity of fixing a small error.  
All good!081D077C-70E7-4F0B-811D-B9AE6C6AF328.thumb.png.3ae2b53244b8bd95a8080f429990dc16.png

• 2 weeks later...

The Wheezer’s ankle sprain is doing better. She told me last night that, after her practice at school, she could work anytime after 8:15 am. In my retired days, that’s barely into my first cup of coffee. ?

So, I “punched in” this morning for a couple/few hours of mostly watchin’ the kid do some work on her boat, pitching in as needed on occasion. 

First order of business was to make three more backing rings for the deck plates going into the sides of the flotation tanks (I made the first two.)  The task gave The Wheezer a chance to cut circles on my band saw, kinda tricky to stay on the line...
400B06B0-8177-4EA1-9598-551A2266C06C.thumb.jpeg.f6739d09679290ffd005c4e044ca45af.jpeg

...and, using my drill press with a drum sander, to ream out the flat spots on the inside cut of the ring to better the fit:

22DB849B-D340-4080-8204-EF3249893D85.thumb.jpeg.02bbfe078ef4986f3588b18f325fcc66.jpeg

She is not hesitant to use machines.  (Yep, she is thinking about hair and clothing and moving machine parts.)

We installed the backing rings into the sides of the tanks and will cut the openings with a router after the glue hardens. We turned attention to the seat tops, sanding off a few areas to make them fit better.  The kit is coming together nicely. 

But, remember a while back when we tapered the wrong end of the seat stringer and put the mistake to the aft end instead of making an entirely new piece?  Well, it is time to fix it, using a couple pieces from the scrap we had cutting the stringers. (You can see he taper mistake on the aft end of the stringer.)
59A884EC-C2D8-42CB-8DF0-B940D9A8C54B.thumb.jpeg.148135fb98f7407449fe26e0dc384e73.jpeg

That thinned section of the seat stringer is now reinforced with a couple glued in strips. 
152D5B86-7571-4C13-9889-BBD862E71EAB.thumb.jpeg.1df68819ff498ecdd14b4cc0c2fb7541.jpeg

The Wheezer’s ankle began bothering her, so it’s time for me to “punch out.”  ?

I’d work on my ski boat today but I need to let epoxy harden before sanding and preparing the hull for fiberglass. So, my day is kinda empty now.  Maybe some reading??

Edit: This afternoon I skimmed through Roger Barnes’ book The Dinghy Cruising Companion that came yesterday AND I watched his 2 hour presentation at Off Center Harbor’s Worldwide Classic Boat Show (virtual) going on right now ($5 entrance... quite a lot of show for very few dollars.  ?)

Link to Boat Show:  https://www.offcenterharbor.com/2020/09/18/worldwide-classic-boat-show-announcement/

• Like 1

Sorry I have not posted in awhile I had a sprained ankle and finally got off my crutches!! I have been working on my boat a lot and it’s nice to get back to working on it. I got to layers on the bottom of the seat tops sanded them and then buy a third layer on this morning. My parents also surprised me with my own circle sander! So I have been working on sanding the first two coats on the inside of the boat. Point padre and I also count and glued in the hatch rings. He even taught me how to use his bandsaw! I also got a chance to show off my boat to my parents friends during there  outside social distancing party. They all thought it was very impressive! My little bother thought it was cool that he could sit in it! 573B2163-7781-4307-8389-BE9AA3F4CFDA.thumb.jpeg.49830fb8dcec717cfdc3e1038993af08.jpeg 

He sat like this for about an hour watching a movie on a phone?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The kid is BUSY these days, no doubt, but we sneaked in a few hours to do some boat work today. While I was trying to figure out how we might assemble the daggerboard trunk, The Wheezer did some more sanding... a favorite task of boatbuilders. ?

07D4B811-174A-468C-B54A-1B9FCBB8B51B.thumb.jpeg.6873a46914e1207984423f4178c107ba.jpeg

(I think I am envious of her new cordless DeWalt sander.)

I showed her how she might use a hammer and chisel to cut a notch for a daggerboard trunk stringer. (She really picks things up quickly... and she will try anything.)

86CCDCD3-DA3C-4DF4-9384-E0AA98D95252.thumb.jpeg.fa570b9847a0b5f631b1469022bdfd70.jpeg

(Had to use the floor without having a handy workbench.)

Gluing up the daggerboard trunk:

D225CE67-77C8-4AF4-8961-3E7D24315B03.thumb.jpeg.dd0e6211b064e94739667032d542c8b8.jpeg

Now we wait for another little break in her very busy life.  Basically, we need to install the trunk (when the epoxy hardens) and seat tops... and it will be about ready for a flip. ?

Meanwhile, MY boat-build is now ready to flip (once the white paint cures.)

FF8B9392-AB74-45B7-BB48-0809DFDAFA1C.thumb.jpeg.5e235f645694ac05b7e3f7dd7f83f845.jpeg
I’ll see if I can enlist The Wheezer in turning my boat over.  ?

• 3 weeks later...

I was gone for about 10 days so The Wheezer was on her own. I think that getting herself ready for yesterday’s state swim meet additional to school occupied much of her time. (Ask her how things went.)

So, first day back... we got the daggerboard trunk and seat tops installed. It took me a while to recall/figure-out the various steps for an orderly installation of the pieces.  (We’ll do the two centerpieces of the seat tops later.)  Great progress on a first day. ?

• Like 2