CS17 #260

ecgossett

I figured out what I was doing wrong... Being at work from 3am-4pm then deciding to loft and cut out a boat, not a bad idea!!  :-[

What ended up being wrong that was throwing me off on everything else is on the side piece the 3rd marker line back that is 1 5/16" and 19 1/4 long. well the sheer to the shine is 18 5/8 instead of roughly 19. This seems to have thrown the whole chine off that piece which made the other piece look bad.

On the bright side I only wasted one piece of plywood!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ammonia and salt are preservatives aren't they?  If it's a surface that will be painted I'd probably forge ahead.  Otherwise, get the cat to treat the rest of the brightwork so it all matches.

I love cats but they sure don't respect anything beyond their own fur.

• 4 weeks later...

I did my first scarf joints today... Used a borrowed power planer to knock off the first stuff, then the rest was a hand planer, and finished it with a borrowed(cheap) belt sander... Coated with epoxy gave it a minute added some epoxy with wood dust and clamped it together..

Do I need to put any fiberglass tape over the scarf?

Saturating the ply with neat resin before applying the thickened is a good technique for exposed end grain.  Because of this your scarf glue up is probably a good one.  I would however suggest you get some cabosil to use as a thickener for gluing and use your wood dust for making fairing filler and such.

Make the joint smooth on the outside of the boat and fair the step on the inside of the boat as much as you feel is necessary.  If I remember correctly the 3/8 to 1/4 step happens in a part of the boat that is not readily visible (up under the forward seat) so I did nothing to fair the scarf on the inside.

• 1 month later...

Any ideas on designs that B&B has that would be good to pull behind a CS17 for some cargo or as a boat to go ashore?

I've considered a kayak but not worth it, because only seats up to two which can't get my kids in it.

Basically I need a boat that pulls well, can be covered with canvas to keep water out, then boarded and rowed/motored in when parked at a mooring etc.

Ideas?

V/R Edward

Any ideas on designs that B&B has that would be good to pull behind a CS17 for some cargo or as a boat to go ashore?

I tow my Spindrift 9 all the time, as a matter of fact, it is why I built it.  But I am towing it behind a 27 foot, 6500 pound displacement hull boat and it is empty.  I am sure you could tow it with a CS17, but not without noticing it.  I can't imagine there is anything you could tow with gear in it that wouldn't make a significant difference in your sailing performance.  But it could be done.  The Spindrift is one of if not the best tenders possible.  It tows empty with very little drag, sails nicely with 2, rows safely with 4, is extremely stable and light weight.  But towing a cargo trailer behind a CS17, especially in light wind could prove difficult.

Why not go ashore in the CS17? So far, we haven't found a situation when our CS20 couldn't go ashore, except if there is nothing onshore but rocks and you don't want to wreck the paint.  :)  Even then, we just set anchor and back down toward the shoreline until we're in knee-deep water, with an extra line to shore to keep the boat from floating away and needing a swim to retrieve.

In Beaufort this past week, while sailing, I towed Anna behind the boat on one of those inflatable air mattresses. She's pretty light and the mattress floats well, but it was like towing a bag of bricks. It completely destroyed our sailing performance as well as severely impeding the directional control of the boat in light airs. I suspect anything you might tow behind the CS17 will do the same if you put any weight in it at all; maybe even if you tow it empty. Granted, a spindrift hull would be sleeker, but still....

Here's a pic. Note the absence of any stern wake. We went NOWHERE. Wind was 6 knots.  :)

I have a cheap inflatable Kayak (Sevylor "Tahiti") that I keep stowed until needed (e.g. anchored in Newport Harbor where there's no place to land casually and the town dingy dock is more than a quarter-mile from the anchorage).  After I use it, I sometimes tow it rather than trying to deflate the thing well enough to get it back into its place.  I have been surprised at how much load this narrow (though not sleek), 25lb boat puts on the tow line at even moderate speeds.  I tend to drag the bow up onto the aft deck to reduce some tendency to plow, and also reduce wetted surface.  That helps some.  I also once towed my 11' Michalak Piccup Pram across Cape Cod Bay loaded with bicycles.  (Don't ask.)  It seemed to tow okay, but danced a lot.

I also once towed my 11' Michalak Piccup Pram across Cape Cod Bay loaded with bicycles. 

I have followed your adventures in and modifications to the Core Sound 20 over the years Jeff.  I can't imagine anyone has tested the limits of the boat more than you  :o

Paul, if I'd realized what I needed in the first place, I might have gone for a Bellhaven.  Turns out I almost never "go sailing," instead I "go adventuring."  I want to go places, see things, have experiences.  That means longer trips, and a willingness to be out in less-than-perfect conditions.

Cape Cod is the Land of Bike Trails--great way to sight-see and get around.  But of course (cheap) small boat sailors are stuck with their own two feet.  Or are they?  I got the idea to haul our three bikes from Plymouth to Provincetown, then ride around.  Problems: greatly complicated launch and retrieval, probably cost us about 1/5 of our speed, saltwater eats bicycle transmissions, hard to get bikes ashore near civilization.  We did ride, but the few hours on trails probably wasn't worth it.  I've since considered a West Marine folding bike that has a lot of stainless steel in it, and even folding kids scooters.  But I think I'll stick with feet (and public transit) for now.

• 2 months later...

Problem with the sides.... I opened up my boat today after wiring and my sides are about 1' short on the back. I've remeasured and everything seems to check out... At least for the sides, the bottom seems close as far as I can tell since I haven't refolded the boat together... Am I missing something or just being stupid?

V.R Edward