The new EC22 design

Designer

Hi folks - Season's Greetings to all! I know that I have been rather quiet here for awhile. Here is the reason. I have been working from early in the morning in the office trying to do the "gottas" not the "wannas" and then every afternoon I go to the workshop and stay until about 10:00 - 11:00 pm working on the new boat for this years Everglades Challenge Race.

Let me introduce the EC22: LOA (obvious - 22'); 7'2" beam; estimated weight maximum 600# - hopefully less. Needless to say this boat is being built to be very light. Let me describe it this way - it is a Core Sound on sterioids X with an Aussie Skiff! Her name is Southern Skimmer.

The photo shows her 3 1/2 weeks into the project. And at this point I should point out it is not stitch and glue - it is taped seam plywood built over a jig. Also, let me say right up front - this is not your father's Core Sound 20... to be sure this is not going to be a "family- oriented" boat.

post-186-129497655389_thumb.jpg

I be guessing theres more to this boat that a cuddy cabin to make her fast! I'll be watching to see what go fast notions yee have in mind.

Yee got yer werk cut out fer ya' date=' tween now and the start of the race.

ARgh.[/quote']

Well, there is a mizzen staysail and an asymetrical spinaker on a retractable bowsprit and carbon masts. Altogether well over 500 square feet of sail. Does that qualify as go fast?

There are a couple others putting in some work to make sure the boat is ready.

I like the name - "Southern Skimmer." She looks light and fast and should be formidable in the Everglades Challenge.

I am a little concerned about boarding waves in rough conditions that could be encountered in open water. I'm sure the cockpit will have self-bailers but you want to minimize water getting aboard if possible. Will there be a partial deck with coamings? Will the stern be decked over for reserve flotation and to minimize weight of water in the cockpit?

I admire the grit and determination it takes for a race like the EC. I might have been game at one time but not anymore. Am I being a little wussy with these concerns?

What a delightful thread and I am looking forward to how this new design turns out :D . She certainly looks exciting and should do well in mild climates with that cutty cabin. I am chomping at the bit to see her under sail and how she performs in different sea states and winds.

Graham, my hat is off to you again....and here in Michigan that means my head is getting cold too. :lol:

Greg.

Well, there is a mizzen staysail and an asymetrical spinaker on a retractable bowsprit and carbon masts. Altogether well over 500 square feet of sail. Does that qualify as go fast?

Tom/Graham

Reminds me of sailing a 14 ft skiff here in Oz, 30 years ago. It had 200sq ft of working sail and a 250 sq ft spinnaker (now unlimited- I believe they get to over 500 sq ft) with 2 crew, both on trapeze. Although the centre of effort is lower with a cat ketch you'll still need a fair bit of crew/movable ballast or reef early. My 30 ft Bolger folding schooner has just over 200 sq ft in a gaff rigged boat (low C of E) and we have to reef at about 18-20 knots and need 4-5 crew.

Are you going to put a trapeze on it? :wink: We've tried it on the schooner and it makes a big difference.

Peter HK

Here is the latest picture: All of the internal structure is done and we now have to make the bunk and seat tops and seal all of the inaccessible areas. You will notice that she has a lot more framing than the CS17 because the skin is thinner and the loads are higher.

In answer to some of the queries:

She does not have a self-draining cockpit, because it is heavier and raises the cockpit too high for comfortable seating. With a self-draining cockpit she would have to have deck level seating, putting you on, rather than in the boat...less comfortable and less safe and secure. She will have two Anderson bailers, which have kept our Core Sound dry. The only down side to none-self-draining cockpit is when she sits at a mooring - keeping the rain water from collecting. She will have to have a cover for that.

She will have two rowing stations, but will carry only two oars.

No trapeze. I calculate that with both of us sitting out on the rail, we can carry full sail to 16 mph.

There will be side decks, but no coamings aft of the house. When you wanna' go fast, you are gonna' be wet. :lol:

post-186-129497655545_thumb.jpg