Alan Stewart

Core Sound Challenge Race June 28th

B&B sailors,

For many years, Graham and I have participated in the annual "North Carolina Challenge" each year put on by the Watertribe group. 

This year the Watertribe event was cancelled due to lack of interest or at least not enough interest. 

In its place this year is a new "event" called the Core Sound Challenge schedule for June 28th with a shove off time of 8am.

The "event" is being "organized" by a local sailor Nathan who'd like to get more sailors out sailing. He has put up his own website on this event. 

https://zenehet.wixsite.com/fleetcmd/register-route

The route is from Cedar island (same as the old North Carolina Challenge) to Shackleford and back via Core Sound hence the name. You can circumnavigate Shackleford on the outside (the intended track) or avoid going outside by rounding a buoy at beaufort inlet and another buoy inside the bight. Technically it's a "race" but I suspect camping overnight in the Bight might be popular. 

I'm planning to give it a go in my CS-17. The event is informal and there is no entry fee etc that i am aware or. You are on your own. Bring your own safety gear, file your own float plan. 

If you'd like to join the fun shoot him an email at zenehet@gmail.com

This sounds like a fun event and I am glad someone is stepping up to try and fill the void since the Watertribe NC events are no more.  I’d be all over it but unfortunately that is a busy few weeks at work for me. Here’s to there being a next year!