Action Tiger builds sailboat. With epoxy!

Action Tiger

Several years ago (okay a few decades) I wrote a random number generator for a guy, using only the top 30% of the most commonly selected, previous winning Florida lottery numbers. He bought $50 in tickets and won $50 bucks. He bought $50 more and won $3, so a net lose of $47. After he won $500 on a scratch off, he ran the generator again and spent 5 nights at the local gas station running the list of numbers. It took him many hours, so he did it in the wee morning hours, when they would be willing to run the lists. He hit for just shy of $19,000. I know he's done it since, but don't know his winnings after this. I can send you the number generator, with an agreement of the percentage you'll share with me for it's cleverness, if you'd like. I also know a prince in Niger, that needs to move a few million, for a fee, are you up for it?

46 minutes ago, Chick Ludwig said:

Well, hurry and get "Fool-boat" done! Job???? You need a source of cash that ya don't have to actually work for! Oh, well. So, ya comin' East to see us "Suthners"? Gonna haul the Breeze home wif ya? I got such-a-deal for ya! Don't know what the deal is yet. We'll work it out. I can't afford any more projects 'til I sell something, and the Breeze is the only thing that could go. Hey, when ya find that cash-supply-that-ya-don't-work-for, share it with me.

Even if ya don't take the breeze, come-on down anyway. We'll all have a great visit.

Dang, now don’t you know that’s the plan? It would be quite an honor to steward your Breeze, but I need to make sure you can afford a few more projects, so we can all feel good about the arrangement.

Shoot, like I don’t love watching you make stuff, too? 

Man, and I’m at the point where I can taste the end. It’s all waiting for stuff to dry, now. Grrr! I am close, though.

Of course, I do keep getting distracted. Remember the purple rowboat? Add a duck punt to that list...

Hehe.

Peace,

Robert

F6F49338-E46B-49D5-8337-7AEDFD7D6B75.jpeg

OUCH!!! When I flipped down to that purkle boat, it kinda hurt my poor old eyes, Shoulda waited until later in the morning when I'm more awake----but I'm REALLY awake now! After staring at it for awhile, and waking my eyes up, it IS kinda purty. "Purty purkle camurkle", or sumpit like that. So, I know it's not called "camurkle", but what, exactly, is the name of that camo pattern. I don't think I've seen it anywhere before.

Anywho, I told the Breeze that you may be coming this way and she got so excited that she almost had an accident, Then I showed her the purkle boat, and she DID have an accident.....

Paul, I already know about that poor prince in Niger. I was gonna send him the cash he needed, but I was short a few thousand. Why doncha help the poor guy out?

Chick, 

Oh that ain’t the purple boat. Purple boat is just purple, and for rowing.

The Duck Punt up there is a grass camo,  but done by a color blind guy. :) These little punts are supposed to be smart sailers, so I aim to find out this winter.

If the kids will let me use it. It’s a replacement for their pirogue they grew out of...

As to mights... Might be able to stay over there and cruise up the coast a bit before dragging all the way back here. The plan is to try and carve out 3-5 weeks.

What? It ain’t like I’m going to be getting ALL the way across the country all that often, and I got lots of folks to visit over there! 

I will get up more pictures up, but I’ve only got 17 more pieces to attach to the boat, not counting spars. :)

Peace,

Robert

50DD46AC-F80A-4EE5-865B-D5725D5385B8.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

This where the feets go. All this is sealed, but open inside save framing and baffles. The seats are open at either end with watertight opening so they can be open to be vented during storage, but sealed when under way. The opening ports are themselves in watertight compartments, so it’s decently watertight during regular capsize type stupidity. :)

The amount of water she can hold is also drastically reduced in such an antic, which makes one feel better about things. Well, this one, anyway. Hehe.

Now it’s just a sheathing of glass on the seat tops, for a little texture and check protection, and the paint, Yo! Whoo-hoo!

Almost time to attach the leeboard and rudder. Thems the final bits, aside from the masts and spars.

Oh. And the mizzenmast step/partner and sprit. I decided to use a standing lug instead of a sharpie sail. I may even go really crazy and use a spritsail with sprit boom. I think it will fit the whole package better.

Crud. And the bolt on cabin top. I figured a way to tie on a soft top for fair weather cruising with the birdwatcher slot in full effect, and to bolt a hard top with hatches on either end to the same attachment points... The cabin top will be light, and insulated with a foam core. The fore hatch will be hinged, and the aft a sliding companion hatch. Really simply made, though. And light weight.

We ain’t talking about no blue water boat, here, just one that may tip over on a lake or bay. :) And we’re mostly trying to keep out falling water, anyway. Hehe.

Peace,

Robert

196419B2-588E-4593-B4E1-FBED98AE14DE.jpeg

E99E5A41-BE54-4E5E-9CEE-1E95379BCFAB.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

593495C2-52D1-4A7D-8F8A-A086E5DEB1F8.thumb.jpeg.c4b607bb06898cb7393f99dbab8f17cb.jpeg

The after deck area. Needs a hatch coaming and hatch. The stripe is where the detachable boomkin (for sheeting the mizzen) will go.

563D7292-3E52-4F82-99E2-3AE756FB8955.thumb.jpeg.4c19c200449d8d87a2ac721521846190.jpeg

The forward deckal area, and second layer of rubrail, screwed not glued, yet. Visible is the base for the forward companion sill, and the cleat holes. These are over sized, epoxy filled, and drilled and tapped to fit the screws. They will go through the bresthook, centerline beam, and a backing plate, then get washers and lock nuts.

FDAAD88D-5C88-40E5-94C5-65869B6FB310.thumb.jpeg.7d2b95cb774291c1702e6829806f722a.jpeg

The cabin top and slot. The eyebolts are double duty fairleads for a line to secure the soft top to, because it is a “birdwatcher” type cabin, and as anchors for the removeable hard top with hatches.

The aft hatch will be a simple slider, and the fore hatch a simple hinged affair.

I plan to have simple plastic drop boards, cut from the same stock the deadlights will be.

The rudder and leeboard are almost done and need mounting. The spars are nearly all laminated, and the mizzen step is nearly done.

Not many pieces left to make...

Peace,

Robert

In the second image, you stated;

"Visible is the base for the forward companion sill, and the cleat holes. These are over sized, epoxy filled, and drilled and tapped to fit the screws. They will go through the bresthook, centerline beam, and a backing plate, then get washers and lock nuts."

I have an issue with  the holes being filled (good) drilled (good again) and then tapped (maybe good). My problem is these fasteners are to go through more structural elements, then get capped with washers and nuts? If the epoxy bond is tapped and the fasteners continue through to get a nut below, it'll place the fastener in a double shear situation (technically not a real double shear). Simply described, the nut being tightened on the previously tapped/threaded epoxy bond (holes), will likely just tear out the epoxy, unless big enough to physically challenge the fastener itself. I'm hoping I misunderstood how you wrote this or that you typed it slight incorrectly. If you're going to put a nut under everything, make sure the epoxy bond is slightly larger than the shank or thread diameter, so it (the nut) pulls straight down, compressing everything between the head and the nut, not the  bolt head, epoxy threads and the nut.

Paul,

I always learned highly loaded fasteners should have the holes bored oversized, filled with epoxy, and drilled for the bolt/screw.

That is the case here. The holes were drilled 5x the screw diameter, then drilled for the shank size. Being as I have to use machine screws, I wanted a threaded fit rather than slip fit, to help prevent water intrusion in case the prophylactics fail.

The threaded portion of the screws will not add appreciably to the strength, in my mind.

The big backing plate and fender washers will do that, I hope.

Peace,

Robert

The only time I thread a hole for a bolt/machine screw is when I cannot back up the fastener well with a nut and appropriate washers/plates.  Bedding in an elastic bedding and through bolted is always my first choice.  Epoxy is brittle and a poor mechanical seal for any fastener intrusion.  Even when I thread a hole I back the screw out, let it cure and refasten with bedding for the final install.

Edited by Hirilonde
added a few words
  • Like 1

The screws are not threaded into the epoxy to form ANY kind of mechanical bond. The epoxy is tapped, and the screws pass through the threads easily.

The threads are merely a mechanical backup for the bedding goop, should it fail, as a threaded fastener in a smooth hole makes a great wick.

I promise, none of you will need to worry about exploding and drowning when the cleat fails.

I will be the only one likely to perish from my poor technique.

I will stop sharing all my bad ideas and cheap materials and poor workmanship.

Peace,

Have Taken Enough Guff Over This Build

Moisture will climb up (or down) threads through capillary action. If you still want the threads, insure the fastener doesn't have it's thread exposed (grind them off) at the joint. This will prevent the water from commuting across the joint along the threads. I'm not too worried about explosions and stuff on your build, maybe just an over reaction to a problem I recognized on my part. 

• Like 1

As I (obviously too feebly) attempted to apologize about my concerns, now I'm terribly concerned, not in your build, but the wealth, knowledge and friendship  you've brought to this site, which I'd be very sorry to lose. You're one of the troopers, not one of the jamokes. Your skills and expertise have saved dozens from major headaches, this would be a great lose to the members. Except  for the first line of your signature, you're clearly very experienced, way more then 99% of the rest of the members here.

I'm sorry you took my comment as insult Robert.  I was not attacking you. 

This is at least in part a technical forum.  Procedures, materials, designs and a slew of ideas are dissected here.  This, along with the pictures, are why I take part.  When I see an idea/method/procedure posted that deserves criticism and I have experience enough to discuss, I do.  No one should ever feel affronted by this.  If we use logic, experience and evidence to discuss a topic we are contributors.  Ideas are being debated, not people.  People always deserve respect.  Ideas however are fair game and must stand up on their own merit.

Attacks on people on the other hand are inexcusable. 

Paul and Dave,

I don’t feel personally attacked or insulted, by you.

I feel mistaken for having begun posting this project here. It’s my fault.

This is an amateur built “craft”, made on the cheap, with cheap materials. I started posting merely to have something to share, but I have had every single decision questioned to the point I need to defend them.

I am not teaching, preaching, nor soliciting, but merely wanted to share a project. Not too many people doing much posting of making stuff outside BandB... I suppose it is my own fault for not being able to take criticism, but I have no desire to continue posting about this boat.

I don’t want to leave comments unanswered, but I don’t want to defend my actions and decisions anymore, so I am not going to post anymore about this boat.

I’ll finish, sail it, use it, and move on.

Peace,

Robert