New Core Sound 17 for sale

LennieG

I cannot express whether or no it is the building or the sailing.  I sailed on a 21 foot boat as a sea scout in high school, I love it and it terrified me at the same time.  The water was dark and green blue and I felt very unsafe every trip.  To me it was to overcome some fear I had of the dark water...............  several cruses and fine adventures until a friend went for a 1 mile swim........ when he went stiff on the water I was even more terrified and did not know what to do.   Geno was(in my heart my bestest friend), I dove in and I found him and I drug him to shore, I hate the green dark water, the heavy waves and the surge that drags you from helping a friend.  I was never more afraid but I found Geno and got him half frozen to the beach fire.  We were all kidding around and Launch was two thousand feet or better from the beach.  Geno told me he was going.............. I Hate dark water.............it did not take long for me to realize Geno was in trouble         I dove in and I found him and we cried on the beach..  His greatest fear was he would not find a girl who would love him we are fool.  I will own the deep blue and green when I launch my boat..  It is for Geno and ME

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a powerful story, Jim. Thank you for sharing that story.   I can feel your unease about dark water.  The wife of a friend of mine feels that big water is "angry".  She is not comfortable on the water.  Your story helps me understand her feelings, too.  

I grew up in the marshes of Lake Erie.  I have known that "sometimes angry" body of water my entire life.  I know that it can give you both joy and sorrow.  It demands respect.  But it can also be your friend.  To me, being on the water is no different than driving a car.  It can be fun, or it can be tragic.  I will always drive a car, as long as I am able.  I hope that I will be on the water just as long.  

Good luck with "owning the deep blue and green".  It will be a good challenge.  But always treat big water with respect, in the form of preparedness.  I wish you well.

You can never "own" the deep blue, just terms you can live with. At best, you'll admit you're but a small, possibly insouciant speck upon her, which is as it should be, in the grand picture of things. In time and with many good experiences, it's pretty easy to become complaisant, but mother nature has a way of treating this malaise, often with a good spanking, leaving you wet and humbled for a time. As with all falls from a horse, you'll get back on, hopefully with the appropriate regard for her holiness, the sea, lest you've forgotten her last lesson.

I've been offshore a lot over the years and it's not very often, particularly in recent decades, that shear terror is experienced. The harrowing times are the ones that stick in your mind, so maybe just a perception, but less than 5% of the time are you in storms scary enough to make you worry. Most of the time, some weather beats in and you get ready, take it on and it bashes you around a bit, but in the end, you come through, no damage and am glad you had a sound boat and clear head. Weather prediction has improved so much in the last 20 years that you really can be a fair weather sailor, so I'd say it's 70% joy, 27% boredom and the occasional 3% where you get caught with your paints down in the wrong boat, for the conditions.

When I was crewing on the Catalina 27 I eventually purchased, the owner called me during a tornado warning. He wanted to go out and have some fun . The sky was green. I'm sure that Lake Erie was looking "eerie", too . Fortunately, I had a good excuse to say no. Point is that as you gain experience with your boat, you may even start to look for more challenging conditions. It is always important to maintain a healthy respect for the water, but it can be lots of fun, too.

• 1 month later...

Folks-

Hope this finds all of you well. I have not " worked" the sale of Peggy-O as vacations, health issues etc have gotten in the way. The vacations are now done, my lungs have cleared up which my Doc and I attribute to being away from the "shop" and life is good again. I do want to sell the boat and find a new hobby that does not involve chemicals, saw dust etc.

I will let it go for $9000 to someone who is willing to finish the last 1% of her.

Please let me know if you know anyone potentially interested. Other wise I may find a sailing school or youngster that is willing to care for her and sail her with passion.

Thanks

Lennie

239-273-2234

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Guys and Gals-

Hope you are well. I have had a few hiccups on my health but am doing well now. This is the first time on the forum in a long time.Its is fun reading about your builds. Regarding the sale of my boat I am back to being focused on it. If I don't sell it quickly I intend to donate it.

Please give me a holler if any interest out there.

Be well and wear a mask!

Hey Lennie!  Glad to hear you are doing well.  Sorry about the "hiccups" you have been dealing with.  It sounds like somebody is going to get a serious deal on what appears to be a beautiful boat.  I wish mine looked as good.  

Are you listing on craigslist as well?  Have you considered waiting until early spring when the demand should pick up a bit? I doubt many people around here are thinking about boats (except me) with Snowmageddon 2016 emminent.

Lennie, If I were you I'd drag your boat up to Ft. Desoto on Friday, March 4 to display while everyone is setting up for the Everglades Challenge. Lots of potential buyers among people who the race and also the folks who are thinking about doing the race someday. I see Graham has signed up to do the race himself this year. 

If you do come, look me up. I'm the guy  in the really grotty looking CS-17. 

Great points all! There are a lot of snowbirds down here right now (most of them in front of me at red lights, movie tickets lines and check out counters :)  ) so some of them may be the market I need. I have not used Craigslist yet but will do so. I may just do that regarding EC..... it would be fun to see you guys. I need to find a buyer willing to finish the last 1 % of the boat, or hire someone. Its not much but I rather not do it. When I go in the "shop"  I get rashes within an hour blah blah. My health issues are lung related, all which is under control, particularly when I am not sniffing glue. Hence the low price. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Update and question:

I am now on Craigslist/Ft Myers and have hotel reservations night before EC so look forward to seeing many of you during set-up.

I got a call from "Oncedriven", a broker of sorts who promises they can sell the boat via their vast social media reach, for a fee of $200 with a 45 day guarantee......... i.e. if I beat them to the sale they return my money..

Any experience with them? They are the only call after two weeks.

Thanks

On a boat of this size, a broker isn't advisable or desirable. Most aren't going to touch it, simply because there's not enough margin to make it worth their trouble, listing and promoting it. A typical arrangement is a straight commission, not an upfront fee. They take the risks and absorb the promotion fees, which come out of the eventual sale. Craig's List is slow, though eventually it might sell. There are better online places to get exposure.

You should also try to list it on the WaterTribe site. http://watertribe.org/forums/forum/stuff-for-sale

Your best bet at the EC is to be there starting Friday morning March 4. Being at the start on Saturday morning probably won't help you. Last year there was a guy set up at the exit of the parking lot with a Dovekie he was trying to sell. Don't know if he got it sold, but he got a lot of lookers including me.