An Either Oar question

PadrePoint

Last year, I tried using oars in my new Core Sound 15.  I was doing some experimentation with rowing positions and accidentally lifted one oar out of the socket. The white nylon insert also came out of the socket and plopped into the water, disappearing.  Well , THAT didn’t go well.  What can keep me from losing another insert?

I notice a little hole in the bottom of the oarlock.  How might I make use of that hole to prevent the oar from popping out or at least to prevent the insert from becoming lost in the water?  Ideas?

F53F6817-6E8B-4AD4-9AE0-0D98C41440FC.jpeg

So here is what I did for years on my Sea Pearl, never losing an expensive brass oarlock. Take a piece of light chord, tie it to that tiny hole. Take the other end and make a loop big enough to slip over the oarlock. That's it. If they pull out they just hang themselves. No way you can lose them. And you can just pull the oarlock off and let it hang down on the chord when not in use. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve W said:

So here is what I did for years on my Sea Pearl, never losing an expensive brass oarlock. Take a piece of light chord, tie it to that tiny hole. Take the other end and make a loop big enough to slip over the oarlock. That's it. If they pull out they just hang themselves. No way you can lose them. And you can just pull the oarlock off and let it hang down on the chord when not in use. 

That's basically what I've done too.

Cheers

Peter HK

I don’t like oarlocks dangling on my sailboat.  My oarlocks are permanently captured by the leather collars.  88D500F1-61F7-48D7-87CC-40BA6754682A.thumb.jpeg.6d2205ded73b3115a2e9566957b56ab5.jpegThe shape of the blade prevents them from coming off the other end.  I have also lost several of those nylon bushings.  For those, I used the double-stick tape I mentioned above.  

This is how they do it at Offcenterharbor.com, which is also the Brooklin Boatyard, which is also Maynard Bray (in photo).A70D6385-D971-45BB-8FF6-2C2418705B55.jpeg.109abfbf29f6c6ee25539086b7db62d4.jpegF379F228-151B-4010-8647-2EDE65990329.thumb.jpeg.3f27092bf76fb7f843cbc92edcfd5903.jpeg

I use Davis rowlocks on my Lapwing (open).  I tied a chord to the hole in the bottom of the pin and tied a toggle to the other end of the chord.  It passes through the socket and the toggle keeps it from coming back through.  Now I can't lose my rowlocks and the chord is long enough to tuck the rowlock behind my stored oars under the side deck. I alson can't lose the insert, though if that were an issue I would do as Don says and add tape until the inserts jamb in place.

On my Spindrift I use round rowlocks. (closed) With buttons on my oars the rowlocks can't fall off.

If your oars are lifting out of the sockets while rowing, that is operator error.  ?

IMG_8195.JPG

IMG_8196.JPG

Of course I had some operator error... I was trying new stuff... including a standing position, which felt awkward... but I started to feel some what could make it work for maneuvering... until about the 10th stroke when “boop”... out it came and gone was the insert.  Hmmm....

Hirilonde, your cord/toggle description is exactly one of the approaches I conceived (using a “drain stopper” above trying to describe my idea) and I’ll likely try that... thanks.  The washer/pin approach I’m trying might work well with a transom oarlock for sculling.  (If the cord idea doesn’t work I could always break out my guitar and try using a CHORD.  ?)

Thanks for your ideas everyone.  Kind of a silly question, but oarlocks almost always include the little hole on the bottom, and I didn’t discover any real solutions as to how it could be utilized.  ?

Captain Tim, 

That’s EXACTLY what my brain was looking for. I guess it’s a “thing.”  
I think I will try to find this in a plumbing  department.  (My wife’s thought... she often comes up with the simple and workable fix. ?)
Thanks. ?