Jump to content

Building a Two Paw 8 for Trailer Camping

Don Silsbe

Recommended Posts

This is a serious zoom in of photo to show the connectors.  (1st photo)


Aft piece is L shaped and mortised into the bottom creating a hook

Fore piece is flat, is mortised flush to the bulkhead and has a space behind it mortised to allow the "hook" to slid in

"Patches" are applied on the interior where mortises are done so that you don't end up with a hole. (2nd photo)


The hardware itself is 1/8" SS flat stock cut, drilled and bent in the shop to Garry's drawings. It is bomb proof but susceptible to crevice corrosion, especially if left in the water like I did for 2 seasons.


I like that the B&B stuff is plastic. Good luck fiddling. 

Copy(2) - Winge in yard 019.jpg.jpg

Winge in yard 017.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Hirilonde-- i love the boot stripe!  Yeah, the Quick Connect system has a bunch of holes drilled through the nesting bulkheads below the waterline.  By rights, I should drill each one oversized, fill with epoxy, and re-drill to size.  I'm inclined to give 'em a coat of epoxy, and use polysulfide bedding compound or silicone sealer.  After all, 99% of this dink's life will be out of the water, under a tarp in the back yard.  All that drilling is mainly going to add variation in the final hole locations.  Exposure to moisture is a secondary concern.  (Opposing views are welcome here.  It's not like making political comments on FB. There, they crucify you for disagreeing.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, guys, I think I just had an epiphany.  I’m in the process of drilling and gluing.  I did relent, and go with epoxy-lined holes, as you san see below.  But here’s my thought:  Wouldn’t it be incredibly easier to fit and fiddle the attachment of the Qhick Connect parts at this stage of the build, rather than after I have two hull halves to contend with?  It might be worth waiting for my hardware.  What do you think?



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today, I went "up the mountain", and paid Chick Ludwig a visit.  We brainstormed on this a bit.  This evening, I got an email from Alan, and took the discussion a bit further.  I believe I now have two good ways to proceed.  Each have a few bugs to shake out, before I decide which direction to take.  I'll have my parts in a week or so, and can get moving again.  In the meantime, I might get started on my daggerboard trunk, daggerboard, and rudder.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I rely heavily on this forum for feedback.  I treasure your opinions.  In that spirit, I will show you my overall plan for this boat.  It is not intended to be a yacht tender. Instead, it will be for single-handed sailing, fishing, and rowing.  In the future, grandkids might learn to sail using her.  So, conventional pram seating isn’t as important as floation.  And since I like to lay in the bottom of these boats (see photo), a section of floatation is conspicuously absent.  The middle seat will be used only occasionally, so it is removable (for sailing comfort).  Comments, please!



Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Thrillsbe said:

I think I need more of a taper on the trailing edge of the rudder.  If I have a moment, I’ll work in that.  But after all, it’s a dink.  I’m not going to race it.

Oh, sure.


Unil that day you’re sailing around, having a blast, and then you see the OTHER Two Paw.

Race on! :)




Link to comment
Share on other sites



I use anything that will hold the panels in place until I can get some epoxy into the joint. Just because we show the ties nicely spaced, you do not need to put in a tie if you do not need it. We will double up the wires in the forward most holes in the chine where there is a lot of force. The transom to bottom joint has no force at all so anything that will hold it together until the epoxy dries is good.


Just use your judgement. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My “fiddlt bits” came in the mail yesterday.  Boy, was I excited!  I spent a good chunk of the day today locating and drilling holes.  I think this is the way to proceed.  Cross your fingers!

@Hirilonde— I should have listened to you.  The templates were nice and all, but the real parts are necessary.  If for nothing else than determi i g the verticle position of the parts.


@Steve W— the double-stick tape worked like a champ!






  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.