Capt Bones Core Sound 17 Mk 3 #14 Kit Build?

Capt Bones

Congratulations!!!!!!! You ddi an awesome job. Now we look forward not only to your first sailing report, but also your future cruises.

"... down the lane and off the farm toward the Tennessee river." Old Codger and I are planning a cruise on the Tennessee and would love to hear what you have to report about it!

We did not launch the boat this weekend as planned due to familial partisan politics.  There would have been eight people involved and way to complicated.  There is also a number of issues we found during rigging that I want to correct.  Co-capt Kyle and I will drop her in the water next weekend and meanwhile I will remedy rigging and trailering concerns and non-sailing critical items like electrical, solar, installing the diesel engine a tuned exhaust system, running lights, auto anchoring system, nav computer and other challenges in prep for the EC.  Also currently struggling with an acceptable system of pumping water in and out of the ballast tank.

Kyle and I will be spending considerable time sailing the Pickwick Lake and extended portions of the Tennessee River this winter (bbrrr).  While we do not plan capsize training until we reach Florida we are building in the related equipment such as kicking straps, individual safety lines, righting lines, boarding ladder, the mast head float and I am seriously considering an outhaul line for the center board as a means of pulling out the CB from the trunk if the boat is turtled.  Our primary training goals are: #1 learning the intricacies of sailing the cat ketch vessel efficiently as possible in three months.  #2 Attempt to break the boat to determine weak spots in our building, rigging and sailing skills.  #3 Build our skills, strength and stamina.

We will be working on the boat right up to the start of the Everglades Challenge for sure.  The boat should be pretty beat up by the time we reach the starting beach.

Today we rest and celebrate the proclaimed finish of the build if not the actual. Tomorrow the EC preparation push begins in earnest.  Adelante.

Bones

Work like a captain, play like a pirate.

Chick, in part, during our 8 years of cruising we traveled from south Florida up the Tombigbee to the Tennessee river and up to the head waters at Knoxville.  Later traveling the loop we did the Tennessee River again.  It is all wonderful and every part of it enjoyable.

If I can find my old logs about the river I will share them with you.  That "if" may be a challenge.  But I will look this next month.

Any portion of it would be a perfect venue for your vessel.

Thank you for your kind words,

Bones

Bones, that would be GREAT! If not, Maybe a suggestion for a good place to launch and leave my towing rig  that would be convenient coming from Hendersonville, NC. I'd be coming next spring for a probable 3 day cruise. Actually, start about noon the first day, and end mid afternoon the third day. That allows for travel time. We camped at the Toqua campground near Fort Loudoun last summer and it looked like an interesting area to explore by boat.

17 hours ago, Capt Bones said:

Chick, in part, during our 8 years of cruising we traveled from south Florida up the Tombigbee to the Tennessee river and up to the head waters at Knoxville.  Later traveling the loop we did the Tennessee River again.  It is all wonderful and every part of it enjoyable.

If I can find my old logs about the river I will share them with you.  That "if" may be a challenge.  But I will look this next month.

Any portion of it would be a perfect venue for your vessel.

Thank you for your kind words,

Bones

If nothing else can you draw us a map of your ventures, backwards as it may be. ;) 

Sir Bones,

Wow, what an exciting build! 

Congratulations on your achievement and on your beautiful new boat.  At first, I thought you were just a plebe like me, but after watching you blast through this build and reading your cruising stories, it's clear that's not the case at all. 

I'm looking forward to following your sailing adventure/challenges with your new Core Sound. 

Carter

Carter,

What high desert is the first thing that comes to mind?

I am, (was), most certainly a newbie when starting this build.  Yes, we have experienced 36,000 cruising miles and I have a few hours pushing the Nina & Pina replica ships around here and there and a few more hours terrorizing Baltimore Harbor in the pirate ship Fearless, but frankly, I have no building experience nor was I prepared for the depth of this build.  The motivation pure and simple was my stupidity and failure to understand the needs of my mind and body in the 2017 Everglades Challenge.  I need to redeem myself by finishing the EC.  That has been the relentless drive to build this boat.  This boat cause it fits many of the things I wanted after learning what those needs were from sailing my wonderful Hobie Adventure Island.  

I have not even sailed my CS, however, I am comfortable it will best provide for my needs in a variety of challenges with a few personal beneficial modifications.

Thanks for your kind words,

Bones

Your boat is a beauty and should serve you well in your next Everglades Challenge.  That's what it was designed and built for and clearly, you were too.  I must confess that it's not even a fantasy for me.  I wish you the best of luck and will be following closely.  

Not sure what you mean by, "What high desert is the first thing that comes to mind?", but my high desert is Utah.  I have a build thread (Utah OB20) on this forum.  

Carter