Miranti Stonefly Build Australia

lisian

Jeff, not much left to do at all then :) We should see some shots of it back in the water sometime soon ;)

I am skinning my canoe tomorrow, feeling a little nervous and excited. Hoping all goes well.... can't wait to see it with the skin on.

Ok, so I got some skinning done today. It isn't quite straight forward because of the shape I created at the front and back and the breasthooks, my rub rail can't go all the way down. So I am lashing the material through the gunwales, which is not easy in some parts, but I will persist.

Finished frame this morning.

10352040_10152200481557742_7388338970372

10478649_10152200477952742_1624959946527

10487333_10152200477042742_3554906187178

10411140_10152200478522742_2036880911571

Hi guys, thanks for the compliments :)

Jeff, I will get some photo's of the stern before I start stitching today. Yes, I have drilled through the gunwales with a 3/32" drill bit and I am slowly threading my way through. Now, though I have hit some tight parts with the inner gunwale. I am going to try and make my own flexible needle with some tie wire, otherwise I am going to have to carve out some of the inner gunwale up under the breasthook to give myself enough room to move. (I took the inner gunwales all the way up to the front, I have already removed some).

I also put some 'Heat and Bond' along the gunwale so it will help make it stick in the parts that won't have the rub rail.

Lisa.

IMG_8492.jpg

I got the Bow finished this morning, I ended up having to remove some of the inner gunwale to be able to get in there properly to stitch. (My breasthook needs more sanding a varnishing :) )

This is how I spent my morning.

IMG_1645.jpg

Carefully removing the timber, I was a bit worried about slipping and going through the Dacron.

IMG_1648.jpg

The holes in the stern ready to be stitched through, hopefully tonight.

IMG_8497.jpg

P Douglas, yup sure is my first boat, remember photo's always make things look better ;) This is actually my first real project following a plan. Normally I just know in my head what I am going to make and make it (Sculptures, shelves, cupboards etc.)

I still can't imagine my canoe in the water yet, at the moment I think its still a project to keep me busy as I have to always be doing something.

Lisa.

Is the part where I tell you all I stuffed up majorly today, or do I just plead innocent and say I meant to put the ugly abortion on the bow of my boat.

Today while shrinking the dacron with a heatgun (being very very very very careful) I was finished and thought I will just do that little bit again and well the heat must have built up very quickly between the fabric and the plywood at the bow and well I burnt a hole in it didn’t I.

Anyways I have patched it up by putting a pull rope through the hole (having to make a matching hole of the other side!!) and it has rope coiled around it also to hide the hole, so now I can name her ‘Princess Leia’ cause it looks like her buns.

I can’t even show a photo yet as I havn’t quite come to terms with it. I must admit I did cry (and swear).. but she is ready for varnishing now.

Lisa.

NOOOO! Oh, I know that heart breaking feeling. I had a student last year that grabbed the heat gun while I was taking a break and out of the room and burned a hole in her boat. I sewed on a patch and she finished it  

Not trying to make you feel worse, but that is why you should use a clothes iron and not a heat gun. I am planning for the upcoming class now and I am going to hide the heat gun this year. :-)

Sorry to read about the misshap, but I got a feeling it is not as bad as it is making you feel.  If you can cover it up with a knot, no one will know except you and those you tell.  Burning was a big fear for me when I did my kayak and I used an iron.  I probably could have shrunk mine a little more but was being very cousious. 

Not sure if this will stay, but it doesn't look too out of place. Doesn't exactly look like I am covering something up, I did initially just put a patch on, but a friend suggested the pull rope A much better idea. I may change it but I know if I keep playing around with it I am going to end up wrecking the material more..

I learnt my lesson no heatgun, I was being lazy not going and buying a new iron because my leaves marks on everything so I just don't iron.

Ahh, don't know if I can reveal this, this is all I will see now *my big mistake*

10517545_10152204678687742_3365723507040

10534719_10152204659252742_6679239107518

I was going to comment on how the stitches remind me of ancient art. Repetitive geometric patterns like that are the basis of my art. Some of it I even sell.

The hole... It is a great place for the hole because the painter/grab ring hole looks like it was on purpose. 

You can just paint the grab ropes green and the hull gold.  ;)

You could always go OCD and stitch the fabric to the stem in a circular version of the gunwales... Sort of a hitched ring approach.

And, really, no one will ever care. Your boat looks awesome!

If you leave the buns, you can call your canoe Organa...

The difference in the craftsman and the amateur is the craftsman knows now to fix his mistake and doesn't point them out. On here I have no problem showing my mistakes to you guys so you can learn from them.  But I don't point them out at shows or to people I meet. With you skills, I am sure you will find a way your are happy with and no one, but us, will know you made a mistake. ;)