Miranti Stonefly Build Australia

lisian

Funny, when you eariler wrote you were going to name it Princess Leia, I knew I knew the name but couldn't remember where from.  The first thing I thought of when I saw the "knot" was that Princess for Starwars...  then I remember that is who you were talking about. :rolleyes:   You did a great recovry, matches will with the stitching going down the front, and I'm welling to bet you will be happy to have that handle there. 

I like it, signed Vader.

Ok, so I have changed the front several times now, and well I must face facts, I will not be happy with anything I put on there so I will just have to settle with something and pic some interesting angles when I photograph it as not to show the front too much. (No longer Princess Leia ;) )

It is almost complete and I hope to take it for a test paddle on Saturday weather permitting.

Some progress piccies, not sure if the beads will stay, but they draw the eyes away from the untidy sinew on the other side of the stitching.

Fotor0710221423.jpg

Fotor071022080.jpg

I got it!

Sew on a very obvious patch. Now, that is the DELIBERATE flaw you put in your boat to make it human. It doesn't matter that it coincides with what may or may not be a mistake.

All the Aboriginal cultures in the Americas that I know of did this. I always do it. Sometimes I even choose where I put my flaw.

Either way, you'll feel so good the first time you paddle that boat, none of this will matter at all.

Also, is that a roll cage in that car?

P Douglas, hopefully on Saturday she will be in the water.

Action Tiger, a friend actually said to me he was glad I made the mistake, proves I am human. And yup that sure is a roll cage, my husband is building a Mini Race Car, we run a series with them here. Earlier in the year I stripped the interior back to bare metal for him and helped rub back the exterior. He then painted it, he now needs to get motivated to do the mechanicals as that is not my expertise, hence I have now moved on to my own projects :)

My only concern with his Mini, is he plans to paint some of it bright pink... Not my decision, but anyway, maybe something funny happened in his brain when he turned 50 lol.

Fotor07118098.jpg

JAnimis, good idea, I will have a think about that one :)

Ok, so I took it out today for a test paddle, it was great, except the wind. I ended up nearly tipping out, I lost my paddle and ended up in freezing cold water up to my waist while wading out to get the paddle and the sand bank just dropped :ph34r:

But it all works, my paddle is still in the works...

I will put these photo's here as this is not my official launch. Next Saturday I am having a paddle day with local boat builders, hopefully we will get a few guys turn up. Sounds like there should be a few :)

IMG_8525.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

IMG_8535.jpg

IMG_8546.jpg

IMG_8552.jpg

I always judge the success of a build by the smile on the paddler - this one's obviously highly successful

Congratulations, not only on the finished product but also on some innovative variations to the process.

Some nice photos there with the sun shining through the skin and the hull reflection too.

P Douglas, I bought 17' I never measured it to see if Jeff is generous when cutting, but I had way more than what I needed. I think with 16' you should have no worries :)

Can't wait to get it out on a day that's not windy. With the wind and the current (near the beach) I couldn't turn around. That's when I nearly tipped out and lost my paddle lol. I am a very novice paddler.

The smile didn't leave my face yesterday :)

P Douglas, knowing me I will admit to my mistakes ;) I learnt soo much building this boat, I know if I started building another one the same it would be soo much better as I wouldn't repeat some of the mistakes I made on this one. But I will take the lessons I learnt to my next boat :)