New Rules for New Members

Frank Hagan

Spammers are getting through our automated system lately, so I've changed permissions for "New Members".

When a person signs up and confirms their email address, they are a "New Member". Previously, they could post a message and have it appear immediately on the forums. Now, their first message must be approved by me before it appears. If approved they move to "Members" status and can post just like everyone else.

messing-about.com is pretty pristine compared to other Internet forums, with a great user community and not too many spammers. I'd like to keep it that way!

• Like 1

Its amazing how the spammers can bypass the format and post directly to the forum without even signing up. The pre-approval post is also used on another forum, except it had the three post guideline and worked really well. This did give the moderators a bit more work, but made it less work from cleaning up the spamming on over 20 sections by numerous spammers. Thanks for your work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

. . . I cannot recall ever seeing a spam or sleeze posting in these forums . . .

I've made a few over the years, but Frank has been tolerant of my excesses. Frank's expertise in this regard is surprising, but the occasional "odd" post does show every so often. My posts tend to be late at night or like today, early in the morning, so I've seen quite a few and I often also make a post on them, usually suggesting they get a life, find a girlfriend or hire a new marketing strategist.

• Like 1

Clicking the "Report" link when you see a spam message does help! I can then go in and zap them.

For a long time the Invision Power Board shared database of spammers worked really, really well. As soon as one IPB board banned someone, they were prevented from registering at any of the other IPB boards. But the spammers have found a way around that, and we've had about 5 spam messages in the past 2 months.

Just an observation about forums and content. I notice that forums concerned with aggressive activities tend to attract aggressive people and aggressive content. Whereas forums such as this, concerned with a gentler activity - sailing, tends to attract people who are calmer and more interested in helping others than boasting about their achievements.

I am a member of a couple of 4wd forums, and it is easy to find flaming and trolling on these. Even the best administrators find it a challenge at times to keep these sites 'clean'.

Thanks for maintaining a quality forum. Not just the administrators, but the members here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...