wood clamps made from pvc pipe

msaxton

Just wondering if anybody has used these pvc clamps at all and what you thought of them, i just made several out of a 3" pipe i had lying around, but dont have anything to clamp up right now. so will try them at some point, they do seem to have quite a bit of pinch pressure.( on my finger anyway)

post-3940-0-29624900-1393817244_thumb.jpg

LOL- I have buckets full of them,

I have them in 2 inch, 3 inch, 4 inch and 6 inch.

You can reach further in, by putting a small one, then a larger over that, then the largest.

I've said fore years if I ever find who dreamed them up, I'd buy him a case of beer :D

• 1 month later...

I have a number of them, but I don't use them very often. I'll grab the spring clamps most often with bar clamps being next on the list, with hand screw clamps usually up on odd stuff. Maybe it's just the convenience of the spring clamps. I have about two dozen 3" clamps in a box next to the wrench cabinet, so they're the first thing I grab. I made up a bunch of lapstrake clamps years ago and they've gathered dust ever since too. I think I've used a handful of these a few times in the last 5 years. The PVC clamps are like ex-girlfriends - you think about them every once and a while, but never seem to get much use out of them.

I use mostly when gluing scarfs on stringers. Titebond is slippery and these don't allow the joints to slip nearly as much as other clamps I have tried.

Of course if you a Normite, you just drive a brad in first. :-)

One who worships Norm Abrams, or, like Norm, believes that a power tool exists for every task. Opposite of Neander.
I suggested that he cut the dovetails by hand, but he insisted on getting a router and a jig. Sheesh. What a Normite.