25 FOOT CRUISER BUILT FOR TWO

Scott Dunsworth

Scott, just think - less than full head room is a  perfect solution. It'll work for your wife just fine and your occasional head crack will allow her to think: Serves the rascal right for dragging me out here in the first place -without being too loud about it. As for you -you'll have an excuse for an extra shot of rum to alleviate the "pain and suffering ". PeterP

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sent Graham some of my drawings ( and I use that word lightly ) last week. He has give me hope, so well see from here. If he can proform some magic I'll get started by April.

Still collecting lead, its getting harder to come by all the time. I'm up to about 500 lbs and only need another 1500 or so.

AND By the way Peter I don't need any  :grin: excuses :grin: to have a extra shot of rum, just promission. My wife's only requirement is I not have to much to start with. That's one of the reasons I like visiting Grahams dock for a week or two at a time, so I can have 3 drinks instead of 2.

I told Graham I wanted to strip build her. He asked if I wanted to build on a male or female mold. I told him the same as what your doing.

Scott

Scott I have a Sovereign 23, 5'7" headroom, fixed keel, trailerable and not too ugly a coachroof or excessive windage.  The interior layout could definitely be improved on, but all in all it shows that the size boat you are describing is possible.  I think one or two people could spend some extended time aboard, my wife and I spent two weeks in the Keys aboard a few years ago and we're still married!  :D

Sailson

Howdy folks. Had to re-register and it wouldn't let me be Charlie Jones, so used the boat name.

Tom- thanks for the kind words about Tehani. We enjoy her a lot. I saw her sitting there in some of the messabout pics. Afraid to show them to Laura- we still have too much to do here before we can return.

On the subject of head room. We feel that the standing headroom (for us) in the main cabin is the reason we can stay aboard really long term- just over a year now. Our previous small sailboat (21 foot) had only seated headroom and we found ourselves getting really tired of being aboard after about 12- 14 days. For US, the standing headroom was a make/break deal on a boat, for long cruises. Tehani actually has a smaller main saloon than the 21 footer did, but that headroom makes all the difference. Again, for us.

And I don't think Tehani looks at all bad for a 25 footer with 5'9" headroom. Here at anchor, Pipe Creek, Exumas, Bahamas.

1290970261.jpg

Hello Charlie, Your right Tehani looks pretty good for a 25 with 5'9 headroom.

My brothers Coronado 25 looks similar to Tehani but only has about 5'6 headroom, enough for his wife but not him.

http://mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com[attachment=1]

I don't know why it says the attachment is bad, I tried it and it works.

Standing headroom is a must for us also, we both don't have good backs. But as I have said in other threads, if I am by myself I could get by with my Belhaven. But it kills my wife's back after 2 or 3 days.

On the light side we took my sister-n-law out for a weekend a while back on the Belhaven. She was not used to the just sitting headroom. I was amused all weekend with thuds, bonks, whimpers and small cries.  :lol: I know its not nice but I'm laughing as I post this. Thinking about her banging her head all day and once during the night that sounded like we where being run down by a tollboat.  :lol:

Well I need to get back to work on 2 of my spindrift 12s so I can sell them to get some red cedar and pay Graham for his talent.

Scott

I found a huge amount of clear cypress a few days ago at a very good price. Even without plans I will start milling strip planking soon. All I need is a OK from Graham on the cypress and a dimension for the strips.

Cypress is used on a lot of boats but I would like Grahams input before I buy 600 feet of it. As soon as I get that information I'll start milling.

Any one out there ever work with cypress? My brother bought some for his swim platform because teak is priced out of this world. It will take epoxy well and works well but I don't know how it will take bends.

Scott

I used some Cypress on my BRS 15.  I had seen outdoor furniture made from it.

I used it for my some framing and thrawt.  I had some problem with the face curling.

I talked with a crafter who build the outdoor furniture and he said the method of cutting it had

caused the problem.  I sanded it down and filled the chipout and painted.  No problem since.

Maybe I had a bad piece.  Don't know if it was my piece or not.

Tom D.

I like cypress.  Atlantic Veneer Mill Outlet carries "marine" grade wood and I selected cypress for the few lumber parts of the wood/epoxy S&G catamaran I built. I even used cypress to make the spars - 22' birdsmouth mast.  Nice wood to work with. Goes through  my Ryobi AP-10 planer well, and rips clean with a table saw.

Cypress has a rep for sucking up water along the grain.  I altered the fit so any end grain ended against wood rather than be open. And of course I allowed the thirsty cypress to soak up WEST resin. 

I plan to use cypress for future builds. 

Scott,

I've worked thousands of board feet of cypress.  It looks and works a lot like juniper (white cedar) but doesn't smell as good.  Durability is very good for heartwood and somewhat less for new growth.  Weight is variable as well as bending resistance although all of it bends much easier than cedar.  Some pieces will take extreme bends without breaking.  Strength is adequate for soft wood use.  For a strip built boat with sheathing on both sides, it would be excellent.  I have used a lot of it for stringers and gluing strips in S&G boats.  Not a good choice for rub strips and such where it is too soft.  It air dries quickly and also takes up water quickly so epoxy sealing is in order. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the insights on cypress.

I got the go ahead from our designer also on the cypress. So I will start milling strips 5/8" thick in a few weeks. Waste is going to be more than I thought though. The cypress is 4/4's rough sawed. So I'll be planing 3/8's away.

I am planning to plane the boards then rip them into strips. But I haven't decided what kind of edge if any I'll mill on them yet. I'm guessing that I should rip about half the strips 1" wide and the rest 1 1/2" wide.

Anyway I am excided to get started.

Scott

We have the same problem in Mobile Bay. It is amazing to see how the "saucer effect" works in large, shallow bodies of water. We are down at least 4 -5 feet here. Every time the wind blows out of the northwest for a day or two at 20 knots or better, the water goes south. Here is a shot of the J-28 in our charter fleet yesterday morning at low tide to show how bad it can get here.

Steve

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

Tom look across the water to the other dock between the main and the jib and you will see the water depth in the marina compared to the boats. If the finger pier is the same the perception is a bit off with the one beside the heeled over sailboat.

I did that but it is still crazy looking.  The power cord and piling in the foreground looks to be normal level to the bow of the heeled boat.  If the far dock was not visible, it would call for a peculiar conclusion.