Popsicle earned her name today. But good news..

Oyster

Yep the coastal region of N.C. turned white today. And Popsicle looked like one for sure .;)

DSC04899.jpg

But have no fear, we are only  a couple of months away from spring and regular sailing trips, hopefully. But in the mean time, some of you guys that have been dealing with lots of the stuff, feel free to click on this link for a diversion and dream for the warmer season on the water.

http://www.maineboats.com/online/boat-features/knockabouts

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOW ! that is plenty of snow! Us desert types don't like much of the stuff - I am currently at Walker Lake, Nevada where there is some snow still on the ground in front of the house. It was quite the surprise because it doesn't snow here very often. But - when it does it pushes the Bighorn Sheep down out of the mountains and a herd of them romped around on the plateau above the house near the highway today.

BTW - still following your work on the WBF and am very impressed! When I get back home I am going to order the plans for Graham's Birder 2 and get to work on another boat. I toyed with the D4 and D5 pram plans and I think set those aside for a much more practical and reasonable choice....

keep on keepin' on....and by tomorrow I should be out of a dial up connection and back to the regular spot (where I can comment on your progress at the WBF)

a.

Thanks but no thanks, I care not to see another snow flake the rest of my life. I do not care that the climate does cool down with the seasons as the normal path of the world. But this interferes with my walks along the lake of water too. ;)

Craig I am building another whatever you would like to call it, something thats not been built before. Over on that other site which I choose not to soil people''s feets and fingers  without a necessary desire to walk threw the mindfields, I show the progression of a shallow draft motorized cruiser, designed from no plans but by the simple process of progression of what may be known as "Forbidden Fruit" in that other section where Designs and Plans are discussed. I did not do it here since it may have been way off topic here.

Mike BYYB is open to everything now.  All designs and buuilders of anything are welcome.  Someone rewrote the By-Laws.   8) 8)  You may want to have a look see....  I'm going over to the Dark Side to see this new boat!

WOW!!!!!!!!

Mike I took the liberty of linking your build log at BYYB.  Can't keep this under a bushel.

Way to go dude!!!  8) 8)

Funny Craig, I could be a bit confused you know. But a pieced together boat idea with splinters laying around has been around since Mark Twain and Huck Finn, you know. ;)

I have scanned the BYYB board but seems that like many others building has slowed a bit in all areas of boats of all types. I guess this reflects upon the mood of the country too. But like all things that I have witnessed, I am hoping that things will return to the normal ups and downs as has been my experience throughout my time visiting this planet. We must not get lulled into waiting and hoping though and continue placing one foot in front of the other.

I don't think you are confused at all.  You know exactly what you are doing.

One question though, I still don't understand how the gain is made with the grinder.  Is the semisoft pad used as a bearing against another board that defines the upper line placement ( the pencile line in post 90). Do you use a saw cut to limit the wood removal, or, is this all just eyeball.  I find myself reaching for that grinder more and more often.

The gains are cut using a sober hand and weakening eyes, using the layers in the beginning as a guide. As long as you can count and go gradually, anyone can achieve the same sucess, especially when using epoxy or a high quality adhesive and bedding compound. Also its mandantory to use a solid backing board placed along the edges of the plywood when attempting to do them too. The same goes for the sheet plywood scarfs too.

well I didn't mean to blow the whistle on ya Mike --- I was just in dial up land where it took nearly 10 minutes just to load the image of Popsicle covered in snow.  ::)

a.

Taint no big thing at all. I have no problems there, but just did not want to take up a bunch of space here either with all the big photos to load either. But also the project was so far out of what most folks here wonder out on the water with or what they would even build, that to me it was just too off topic. But also there are too many nice folks here and a great site indeed and sending them over to the darkside may require a stress counselor after the trip too.

• 1 month later...

Well I am beginning the eye wash portion of my new cruiser. I will add the shots here for a couple of unspoken reasons. But I know a couple of you guys here were lost ;) and have been following the dull stuff somewhere else.

This is the cabin now trued up and plumb and level to the plans. I needed to cut the stringers down a bit to maintain my interior height after I got the top where I wanted it. The inside still maintains 6'3" so at least my big youngens can fit along the centerline. The outside area of the inside will be seating and helm anyway so that really is not an issue. The boat even though it looks completely out of wack without the hull planking on will end up without any obstructions topside at 90 inches, FWIW.

DSC05208.jpg

What I did was to cut the foward end of the vabin sole down three inches but its still on a level plane from the aft bulkhead area foward. The aft deck still have the slope to it for draining. But the boat should still be enough slope even inside that I would have an issue with water, hopefully. HEHE! I still need to cut the small outside down after I get the cabin rigid along the rails.

DSC05209.jpg

The bunks are fine and the small deck area will also have open storage on both sides under the dash for the windshield, aft of the end of the bunks.

DSC05211.jpg

For those of you that do not know, I used white cedar solid veneer and foam cored the top, gluing them in place with white cedar and mahogany beams laminated with the crown in place for the cabin top

.DSC05204.jpg

This is the cabin shape with the windows roughed in .

DSC05205.jpg

The trunk sides are just sitting in the area that will be the foward overhead decking and will incorporate the trunk.

Good looking boat. Just curious, what are you going to use for an engine? There is a Kubota mower where I work that isn't used anymore, ( it was rolled and bent the mower deck). It has a 24 h.p.? diesel,( don't know if it's big enough for what you're doing). It runs as far as I know. I think it could be picked up pretty reasonable. I don't know what all it would take to adapt to marine. At one time I was thinking about building a mini-tug, it would be perfect for that, but I'm building a CS17 so won't be needing it.

The boat will be powered with an outboard. The engine you speak about would be great for many of the work boat configuations which normally comes with some modifcations in the tranmmisions and cooling system. The exhaust is an easy fix too. But without a tunnel, draft would also be an issue and not what I am attempting to achieve here, and thats a creeker and a beacher. Thanks

I sometimes wonder if I am not a bit disturbed Craig. :'(

But anyway, the complete deck now is level so the height is uniform inside. The bulkhead and entrance is offset. The reason for this is that the head, galley counter and helm required 28 inches. The port side is 20 inches so this will accomadate a single seat dinette wide with a table between seats facing each other. The back of the foward seat will have a jump seat on it so the bride can ride there when underway. The complete unit will fold down for another single berth of 6' 4" in length.d in the bulkhead with an offset entrance. The complete unit also will rest on a raised platform for drawers and so you can see out of the side windows.

DSC05213.jpg

DSC05212.jpg

Oyster my friend, it is good to see you turning another idea into reality.  Glad this one is for you.  Looks like a great boat for getting out when the skiff is not enough, and sailing is not the call of the day.

---Brent

I said hey, why not the salty look of days goen by without all the heavy planking and mess. So with my cutoffs and leftovers I veneered the front of the windshield with the white cedar and painted a layer to get the effect that I like too. I still have the trim mouldings to install after I finish the exterior.

The sides will also get a solid skin though but will also get paint revealing the wood grain under he topcoats. The insides are still varnish and will remain that way.

DSC05217.jpg

DSC05218.jpg