Popsicle earned her name today. But good news..

Oyster

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I decided to skin the sides with the white cedar, ripping more into 1/4" planks and created shiplap seams for a more stable layup.

DSC05237.jpg

The center window style needed to be eased a bit so the plank layed nicely across the area.

DSC05221.jpg

DSC05234.jpg

I glued up a corner post with a rabbit to recieve the plank ends too.

DSC05231.jpg

I am not sure if I am following what you are asking. But here are a couple of photos of the background of building the top. I positioned the cabin in the area which it will rest and built it on the deck since working room was non=existant. I also did not plank the boat so I could easily work on the frame and top without crawling up and down a ladder. This save me bunches of time and grief. I then jacked it up and got the right height.

I am hesitate in posting two different links here of the runup to this present statis. But if you wish to send me a pm, I will send you to the den of thorns, not necessarily on the threads, but don't wonder around there. ;)

If you look inside, you will see cleats are each important position.

DSC05196.jpg

DSC05164.jpg

DSC05116.jpg

Okay,  I rolled up the windows,locked the doors and drove through the lions den ;).  The additional photos and narrative answered my questions.  Thanks for sharing with us here as well.  Its not off topic with me at all since I am planning a power cruiser project too.  I seem to learn something every time you update!

Okay,  I rolled up the windows,locked the doors and drove through the lions den ;).  The additional photos and narrative answered my questions.   Thanks for sharing with us here as well.  Its not off topic with me at all since I am planning a power cruiser project too.  I seem to learn something every time you update!

LOL! There are two threads that details it all from the very beginning. But please don't leap off the cliff now! But also please don't let me intice you in doing something like this as its not for the faint of heart and good for the wallet either. What I mean is don't experiement. Remember I am not normal! ;D By the way, what are you planning, my I ask?

I let Tom Lathrop do most of the experimenting and bought plans for a 27 ft version of Liz ;).  I may personalize it a little but he has had such success with that hull design in using lower hp and great fuel economy that I don't think I'll stray from the plans on the bottom.

But also please don't let me intice you in doing something like this as its not for the faint of heart and good for the wallet either.

I've been planning this one for a while, but have held off starting so far because of the "all at once" expense of the ply that I need to have shipped. Business is not that great right now (go figure!).  I've been feeding the boat building addiction with smaller, less involved projects.  I have to admit, watching you're project going so well is getting me kinda antsy about taking the plunge.

Remember I am not normal!

Who wants to be normal? ;D

Larry

Larry,  checking my records, I see that you have the Bluejacket 271.  The way these are built, you do have to make a pretty large commitment to get started since the hull comes first and there are not many small pieces that can be built before the hull is formed up.  Of course, building a temporary shelter for building in can be done early, if one is needed.  That will get you started and once committed, it's easier to continue.  Two major items that can be built early are the foredeck and pilothouse top.  These require a mold and all this makes for a sizeable job to get your juices going. I go through the same thing and one day, I will just get out of bed and order plywood and glue and then there is no turning back. 

Mike approaches it differently.  He just walks out and surveys his pile of lumber and scrap and starts to work.  Most of us have to have something on paper in front of us that looks like the finished product to get started.  I'm sure he has a general idea of what the current build will be but all specifics and problems are solved as they arise.  It's fun to watch and marvel at the process.

That is a Bluejacket 28 that he posted.  It's 28' by 8 1/2' with heavier scantlings than the smaller ones.

DSC05262.jpg

DSC05259.jpg

I have created a semi galley bar that converts into a double settee for additional interior sitting. I need to trim it all out and install the supports. But at least it all works according to the plans. ;D

All under the opening will be storage and along side with the "refrigerator" being right outside the door. I changed the wide portion of the back bulkhead to the narrow side and visa versa so I have better vision from the helm.

Wellllllllllll ;D

I am not taking any more new boats to build, but I have three or four ongoing projects to finish up.

Then we're going cruising, long term. This is Laura's last week at work, and she has a few canvas jobs to finish.

We plan to stick around to sail the Texas 200 again in June, then load up Tehani and boogie eastward - sloooooowwwwlllllyyyyy ;D

Probably leaving sometime in July. One place we intend to visit is Vandemere NC by the way- AFTER the Bahamas

Charlie,

Now I see the plan and it sounds like a good one.

On your way to Vandemere, you will come first to the little town of Oriental.  Stop in for a spell at our dock.  We'll keep a light on fer ye. 

A half day before you get to us, you will also pass close by the home of Popsicle

Thanks Charlie! This is fun, always has been and it helps that I have a bride that either gets a lot out of it too or pays no attention after witnessing the insane pound his head asking why for so many years. ;D I mean what in the world can you do that consumes so much time to see so little done in so many cases I ask you?????  ;D

Heck I spent all afternoon reinforcing the bottom half of the seating arrangment so that I would need no bottom support obstructing the opening. This way I can install my water tank and tool kit underneath and still have enough strength to hold two adults. With the counter enclosure up, the cushion can also now stay in place and still also afford me an additional storage area when just two of us are on board for hopefully a longer cruise than a weekend too with an additional sheet of plywood too. This doubles the seat top too. The pieces are rabbited in place at the cleats on each side and can be easily removed too if need be for a huge area of storage.

DSC05267.jpg

DSC05268.jpg