OT - Spell Check?

Steve Day

I did have a spell checker available ... I think I lost it in one of the many upgrades phpBB requires. I need to do another on (yet again), so I'll check on getting one installed again. I just added one to my PoliteTalk.com forums (which use a different software).

And no, the only thing I ever got done on the Spindrift was the centerboard!

Guest Oyster

Iffin anyone of those wonderfull boat buildurs was wurried bout frank haven a sprindrift, bettchu frank wood not be oppposd to sumone of U guys sindin him 1 to go with that sintebord, rite frank?

Not for me. My wife thinks it is "middle age crazy" lingering on and that she prefers that to me taking off with some young honey and sailing around the world, or spending our retirment money on fast cars and sleazy boats. She knows I will not build anything too quickly or too big or spend too much as long as I am puttering around in the shop or local marinas. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

No bars, no boat building, no woodworking for me lately. I'm having some back trouble. It actually started when I was waxing my Potter on July 4th weekend, and I had sciatica for three months. That finally went away with some exercises, but now I have some neuro stuff going on ... foot drop on the right foot and "peroneal neuropathy" that has me seeing a physical therapist (and a consult with a surgeon in a couple of weeks). Lumbar bulges at L4-L5 and L5-S1 have evidently gotten worse and are impinging on the nerves.

I'm walking much better now. I get a lot of relief when my physical therapist, Mistress Bambi, puts me in traction and then does the deep tissue massage thing (it hurts like the dickens when she does it, but I feel better afterwards). She then tortures me with stupid exercises that are intended to humiliate you ... doing pelvic tilts while hugging a giant rubber ball, for instance. I suspect there are websites out there that feature this sort of thing for entertainment. I hope there are no hidden cameras.

One of the things they have me do is sit in a chair, stretch my floppy foot leg out, and pretend there's a string between my forehead and floppy foot, then tell me to put my head down and flex the foot down, then bring my head up and bring the foot up. And do that 10 times. The foot doesn't cooperate, but she stares at it, and every now and then she'll slap it down all the way and say "Again."

She also does a thing where I lay on my back, and she grabs my leg, and I'm supposed to bring my knee to my chest and pull my foot up while she gives resistance ... but the foot doesn't obey, and just starts quivering. This gives Mistress Bambi some kind of hope, because she says "good, good!" as if foot quivering were some special skill, then says "hold it! hold it!" as she tries to push my leg up past where God intended it to go. Then she starts pulling the leg and foot down, saying "push, push, push" which reminds me a little bit of attending my kid's births. Maybe there is a hidden camera somewhere.

Probably the weirdest thing was when I told her it was the peroneal nerve, and she had me sit on the bench and try to lift my foot up (it flops, and does not lift). Then she took her thumb and two fingers, formed into a little Bambi-sized battering ram, and rapidly ... like a zillion times a second ... tapped the side of my knee. Hard. "Hold it, hold it, OK, down." I relax the foot and she stops the assault, but has the little Bambi-finger battering ram still poised, and she's staring at my knee and says "again" and we start all over again.

Tappety-tappety-tappety-tappety-tappety-tap! At the end of this, after about 5 minutes and I'm sure I'm bleeding (but I'm not), she says "maybe we should try the electrical stimulation ..." I'm a little concerned about tomorrow when I go back.

Frank said

At the end of this, after about 5 minutes and I'm sure I'm bleeding (but I'm not), she says "maybe we should try the electrical stimulation ..." I'm a little concerned about tomorrow when I go back.

No need to worry Frank- it doesn't hurt a bit. At least none of my patients who the physio has subjected to electrical stimulation have ever complained too much... and I certainly have never felt a thing :lol:

Peter HK

Well, it was interesting. She wired me up with 4 sets of electrodes (small of my back, back of my thigh, shin and top of the floppy foot) and then adjusted the power going to each set, starting with the lower back. "Tell me when it starts to hurt, and I'll back it off." So she starts, and it isn't that unpleasant ... kind of tingly feeling. Pretty soon it gets pretty strong and I say "OK, I think that's enough" and she says "You're not grimacing!" We went up from there quite a bit.

After all four were up and running, and my leg felt like it was buzzing from toe to hip, they strapped me into the traction table and did the traction treatment (which normally feels very good). It did improve the movement of the foot, so that means something (Mistress Bambi was very pleased at that; either that or she was pleased that she was able to torture me a new way).

I guess you would need speeeeelelllleeeelle Chicmllck too if you seek out wommensss with shock electrodes as their means of getttinggg your attention and straightening whatever ails you out. :lol::lol: .

Gotta get this thread back on track. :wink: 8)