Thoughts on a misc boating section poll and question

Would there be some interest on a misc section on boating?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would there be some interest on a misc section on boating?

• Do you read throught the past threads or do a search on your off topic inquiries?
    • DO you use other sites and forums for your sources?

With the addition of some renegade fellows, :wink: wondering into this place, and posting non-Weekender stuff, and now great details of building technigues on topsails, vacumn bagging, trailer questions, and plywood inquiries and conversations going on, what would be some folks thoughts on a section devoted to misc boating, to include such inquries? DO many of you people use other websites for such inquiries? How do you research such questions, as come to mind, like the ones listed here.

One question that comes to mind is that some of the other catagories goes for a while without posts, and replies. So maybe or may not , this maybe a good idea. But this group has evolved into a nice gathering of folks. I am starting to see some of the good resourses and threads sink a little here. We were afforded some great information by Dave Fleming, and Bob Smasler for a while on tools and stuff.

So feel free to speak your mind on this thread. Yes, I have run this thought by Frank, and have spoken to some others on this thought.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone's afraid to comment! And here I've always considered myself a benevolent dictator!

The suggestion has been made to have a forum specifically for wooden boat building, covering both the more traditional methods as well as modern practices. The new forum would be more focused than the Main Forum, with the topics limited to wooden boat building and techniques. No chit chat about politics, religion or mother's-in-law allowed. The idea is that there is a large community of wooden boat builders who don't want to wade through all the miscellaneous posts and would like a resource to share thoughts and ideas. We would have a FAQ for it, with links to threads covering certain topics. It would be more like the B & B Yachts Forum, in that the folks participating there are not under any obligation to join in here, but in true messing-about fashion, they are certainly welcome to.

I may just add the Forum and see what happens. Not having a large bureauracy running things makes it easy to make changes after the fact (I just have to argue with myself about them!)

One comment Arnie. The threads on plywoods, comments on plywood types and uses, just to use this as an example is being lost in several threads named and addressing different topics. There is some great information on types of plywood and its applications and care and use in both sections here. The hand plane tools that were discussed is buried in Weekender project threads. There has been several to numerous trailer thoughts and great imput on the types used for power boats and sailboat, with regard to bunk arrangements and weight distribution..

In lines with that, recently some questions have come up on different boat plans as some of the members needs are different here. It is possible that the board is missing some imput from others that come and only find a couple of boats and projects being discussed here and leave. I for one, have found a lot in common in many of the glass questions, that really could pertain to all of us as we build another boat in the future.

Little things that keep folks interested, such as alternative boat designs for certain areas of the country and world, such as mine, since I require a littel different boat for our area, more room and more versitle for open waters. I still enjoy watching the smiles in print of many of the guys project here, the little details and such.

But I am only one person. Some new life of others wondering in here, the likes of John B, a seasoned veteran of sailing adding his thoughts on topsails. It just happened to end up as a complete thread, that actually spun off from my stinking wooden boat project. Evolution is the name of the game. But its up to Frank if he wishes to experiement with any of this or not. I know several others that will share some thoughts on new topics to pass the time away through the winter. Basic principles work for all boats.

That is a danger ... the great "experiment" we have going here has succeeded beyond what I thought it would. I thought when we passed 200 members, we might have a lot of trouble. But the requirement for registration and appeals to the One Rule has seemed to work so far.

If it begins to threaten the rest of the site, it would get taken down pronto.

I think you guys are on to something here.

I spend a good deal of time on the WB forum, but call this one home.

The only concern I have is that many of the folks here are new to forums of this type and, consequently, many threads run on, changing topics at random....some threads are 'highjacked' now and again as well. The concern, as small as it is, is that great info is often buried and folks often never know about it... or it is too hard to find...or the questions is asked again and again.

If folks just started a new thread when the topic veres a bit, that might help...without needing a whole new section added to the site....?

Personally, I have never had a problem with sorting through this site and finding what I need. But as you say, it is growing. And I quite like the direction things are going in.

I am enjoying Oysters boat project and the kids projects....all of the new stuff happening. I am surprised big time with the excellent info I requested for the topsail project. Lots of wickedly talented folks hangin out around here for sure.....eh.

I would have to second the idea of another section of this site.

Example Bob Smalser's excellent posts on re-habbing tools, cutting lumber and the Hartley stuff etc..

I myself have become more and more disenchanted with the WB Forums.

The rancor in what is referred to as the "Bilge" sometime seems to spill over into other sections. The caretaker Scot Bell wears many hats in the Woodboat organization and he cannot possibly have the time to police each and every Forum/Post.

Whereas Frank is independently wealthy ( said with tongue firmly in cheek :D ) and can do, as he has done, weed out the chaff before it becomes a problem.

I am quite aware that this as is the WB Forum are mostly populated by dedicated ***AMATEURS***. That is said using the word in the best meaning of it.

Consequently many may not have much interest in what I call Traditional Wooden Boatbuilding and the methods and techinques thereof.

A separate Forum for such posts might be in order

As one of the "lost sons" now operating a plastic :oops: boat I have to say that I still enjoy following what is going on on messing-about.com

I also see that I am not the only one bringing up issues outside of Stevensen Projects boat design and building, even discussing plastic boats and we all know that the subject spread is quite large when all extremes are taken into consideration. I don't personally feel there is anything wrong with that. If there is something posted of minor interest, I can always skim quickly by and look at the rest. The name of the site "messing-about" is also quite wide, even though I imagine the name was not meant to be indicative of the scope of subjects that can be discussed :?: :?: (There are too many ways of messing about)

In any case, the Main Forum today gets almost all the postings. Why, because that is where the action is :!: :!: A different forum may, or will end up like the other Forums, dropping out of the public eye because everybody is gravitating back to the Main Forum again.

I would very much support what Tim said about properly using the Subject line. It may be wishful thinking and there may be no good way of nudging people in the right direction here: Stay with the subject at the start of the string and add a new Subject if you feel it is needed:!: If we could succeed in making that happen, we could keep it all in the Main Forum and it would be much easier to sort what you want to read and what not. It would also help tremendously in later searching for specific information. As said, I don't know how to make it happen, but with all the clever souls attending, may be some good idea may pop up :idea: :?:

See....whadItellya?

I had no idea Dave was posting here.

Tag line says a hundred and someodd posts...

He must have been buried because, although I am not the most observant lad...I had not seen Mr. Flemings contributions at any point.

Seems to me...we have some of the best...or maybe the most clever lads already heading over here from WB.

Dave F. and Bob S. ....not to mention our own 'local' folks.....have some serious technical muscle behind them.

Thanks for the backup Knut.

If we have a reason for all these interesting folks to stop back now and again....I am all for it.

Tim, do we forgo the initial intent of the board? I think that some of my posts infringes upon this fourm sometimes. I have only added my thoughts as I have watched this board grow to many other topics just this summer.

I also think the trailer imput for the weekender boats do not get enough highlighting in a thread such as what happened on the launching thread just the past week. The imput on the plywood, blended in the "junk boat" posting of Ray could be a big help to a new person buying plans and building a boat. This is all missed in one post unless a person reads through the main threads. Just some thoughts that I had, and in no way attempting to mess with perfection. Frank has put together such a fine place, I feel at home when I login in here.

This was part of my thoughts when mentioning this in the beginning. How about the hand plane thread mixed in the weekender forum?

It will take a little time with the limited number of folks here. But word has a way of spreading about Mom's apple pie. :)

The one thing this place has going, is Frank is here everyday looking over our shoulder, and behind the curtains making sure the guildlines are adhered to, with new membership rules imposed this last year at the first sign of trouble. Thumbs up to Frank.

For what it is worth, I enjoy this forum and it's variety of topics. There are things presented here that I would miss it they were on another forum, i.e., the tool restoring and the timber cutting. I don't think anyone abuses the "off topic" items, so far there are just enough of them to keep the forum moving when boat building slows. Just as long a politics and religion stay out of it. This the one place I've found that pretty much stays away from that. Great forum, great people. I've even got computer help here! :D

Fer example this thread re: a comment made above.

Not the comment about not understanding what or where?

http://www.messing-about.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1988&highlight=

NOT picking an any particular poster but, just using the whole thread as an example....folla?

PAX

edited to add so Jake can see what I am/is/are/wish to get at.

Just as long a politics and religion stay out of it.

NOT picking an any particular poster but, just using the whole thread as an example....folla?

No offense Dave; but you are still posting in half thoughts. Or at least, I am still having a hard time seeing where you are going (or coming from).

In reference to the referenced thread, and the current topic. :?: :?:

Tim, do we forgo the initial intent of the board? I think that some of my posts infringes upon this fourm sometimes. I have only added my thoughts as I have watched this board grow to many other topics just this summer

I think it already has Oyster. The original intent being the Stevenson projects discussion. I too have seen a great change this summer and I, personally, welcome it. More reasons to hang out here.

Yes, I have a Weekender. But I also can hang out where ever I like.

I choose to be here most of the time because...as it turns out....of Franks ONE RULE <grand trumpets sound>. Hell, I just found out about the one rule today reading this thread. I must have seen it to sign on...but like most things I ignored it I guess....or forgot it. As is stands, that is what is good about this place.

If anyone might not belong, that would be me. I have complained about and changed pretty much everything the designers have created with these crazy boats....I have even talked a few people out of building them(off forum)........stepped on a few toes I am sure.

In real life I am a fearcely independant anti-social hermit/hippy/guitarmaker ex-joiner-shipwright-boatbuilder that loves to drink, smoke dope, ride fast motorcycles and swear a blue streak.

When I first got here I thought it was a church revival...an American church revival. Everybody was sooooo nice. I just about ran screaming. But soon learned to keep coming back...could not figure out why some days....but now know it is because these folks are %$!!@% CIVIL.

I like that. Have a nice cup of tea and a pleasant chat. That is what I come here for....oh and sometimes to watch Beaker and Barry argue. LOL. (both notably absent from this discussion...hehehehe)

I like Daves rules....they should be added to the ONE RULE.

No talk of women (or men), politics, or religion.... and be nice.

The only time I left this place for any length of time was when you were all ranting about the war and terrorism and presidents and such. I can get that in the bilge or just about anywhere else on the net. The only opinions I want here are about anything other than religion or politics.

But that's just me.

And hey, just like anybody else, if I didn't like what was going on here....I would ignore it or go away. Simple. No biggie.

(Editted because I am dumb.)

Tim' date=' do we forgo the initial intent of the board? I think that some of my posts infringes upon this fourm sometimes. I have only added my thoughts as I have watched this board grow to many other topics just this summer[/quote']

And hey, just like anybody else, if I didn't like what was going on here....I would ignore it or go away. Simple. No biggie.

Weel, I have a somewhat different take on it. I share most of your comments, except that I have no problem on the ebb and flow here. In my own opinionated opinion, some folks are and will be missing a few things of interest in some of the regular building recommendations that exist here, too. But if you know knot, you miss knot. :wink: Well, tommorrow is another day, another opinion, And yes tommorrow is the big day to sand and fair the completed hull bottom on "Waste No Time" ITS ALL PLANKED UP!!!! But lets not hyjack this thread. HEHE!!!! NITEY NIGHT!!

Actually, messing was never intended to be just about the Stevenson's boats. It was intended for small boats, built by amature builders, and to provide a community of sorts for people to come to as they tackle their latest project. But most of us who started out here built Stevenson's designs, so it naturally favors that. Nothing wrong with that, but everyone's welcome. But people are hesitant to chime in with something else, like their 1929 gaffer!

I agree: There is a gold mine of info hidden away in posts, and "Search" doesn't always get you to them. Converting them to an article works well, but is time consuming. An index of the posts would be wonderful, but I'm not sure if I can create one easily enough to be able to keep it up (although with people nominating threads for inclusion, it might work). I could also add a "read only" forum that is a collection of great posts about certain topics. Questions about the topic would have to be addressed in the Main Forum, but it would put a copy of all the technical posts in the same place sans the chit-chat we all love when we aren't researching something specific.

So, I'll have to think about this one!

I just went to read for a bit...and then got thinking about what I said and figured it was a little too..........something, and came back to the computer to edit.

Then saw Oysters post. So I will comment on the comment instead. :)

Tim Diebert wrote:

Quote:

Tim, do we forgo the initial intent of the board? I think that some of my posts infringes upon this fourm sometimes. I have only added my thoughts as I have watched this board grow to many other topics just this summer

Weel, I have a somewhat different take on it. I share most of your comments, except that I have no problem on the ebb and flow here

Nor do I have any problem with the ebb and flow here. Actually, I can't remember having it even crossing my mind. Changing the forum in any way had also not crossed my mind. Things seem to work out very well here.

I should not even really participate in this discussion, because I don't really care one way or the other. It's all fine by me. Here's me shutting up.... :lilangel:

Since my name was brought up, I can't resist the chance to toss in my two bits worth.

I don't hang around most of the other boat building forums for the simple reason that they get too bogged down in bilge water. Not that there isn't a certain almount of it tossed in here now and then. But we don't have the disrespectful name calling and taking one another down that seems to be all to frequent in some of them. For Frank's "one rule" forum I am deeply appreciative.

I think that occasionally I have something to offer, sometimes it makes sense and someone might actually be able to use some of the information or at least use it as a start for a discussion. I will offer it here, sometimes it gets some good response, sometimes not. Such is the way it goes. I'm a big boy and I've been thru a lot of rejection and rejoycing both. I enjoy the bantering and appreciate the varied personalities. I also think we've all made a few friends here. I look forward to making more.

I personally appreciate that it has the other content included, but to go back and find some bits of information that was part of a different topic thread is most of the time frustrating to say the least. Should it be a part of a different forum on this same site. I would probably find it constructive and interesting. I pull a lot of good information out of the B&B posts. I love that we have Charlie Jones, Dave Fleming and Bob Smalser adding to this forum. I would hate to see those posts moved to a seperate forum juist because they are off topic and not directly related to Stevenson's Project boats. I too feel that this is a forum for and about small boats and the enjoyment that is derived from studying, building and sailing/rowing them. I learn a lot from everyone here. That brings me back. It will bring others back as well.

That an occasional Baby cradle is tossed in serves to bring us back to the real world and life with our families. I love this. If the choice is to eliminate all but relavant posts and set up a different forum, I would have to say darn, but I would still post and read and offer input when I could.

A forum based upon pure traditional building might be a pretty lonesome place. I would like to see it expanded in a way that would offer more builders some opportunity to share and participate without being intimidated. This has been an excellent place for new people to come hang out and get some good diversity and opinion without being blasted by the group or an individual for offering a "dumb" question or comment.

It is also a place were the female boat builder can participate and feel like she belongs here. Or at least I think it is from this male perspective. :wink:

It is an open forum, threads may continue and disappear only to be brought back to the light with a new person asking a question. Yes, we go thru the same basics with a bunch of new builders, but all that wish to participate are welcome and seem to get good information to make a somewhat informed decision about. There is a good diverse group here and I think we are all comfortable with each other. We all seem to welcome the new builders or participants, even if they are only asking a question.

So...bottom line, I think there is a place for it, I think this might be the place, and I think that Frank could offer another good place to participate. I also think that the flavor of this particular forum is going to continue as long as people are welcomed and made to feel that they can participate and be a part of a good group. Also that an off topic post is OK and not made to feel that it should be excluded. People will comment or not, their choice. That is as it should be.

OK Beaker, your turn. :lol: