Carlita's new adventure

Designer

The weakest point of any unstayed mast is where it exits the deck or,in this case, at the connecting point of the tabernacle. What you are looking at at the stub on Southern Skimmer ( if my memory is correct) is an insert made with a double layer of carbon weave over a foam mandrel.  The break appears to be at the end of the insert which was inserted to reinforce and distribute stress away from the exit from the tabernacle.  Since even a double layer of carbon weave is not nearly as stiff as the aluminum mast, it was thought that this was a good idea.  The fact that the greatest load would be at the bolt through the mast on the tabernacle, it seems strange where the break occurred.  Has the aluminum mast suffered any physical or chemical damage at this junction?  I would like to see the result when they get home.  This mast has survived some severe loading in rough conditions since it was built.  Temporary running side/back stays are used when the spinnaker is flying.

I was suspicious of that and maybe we should have foreseen the possibility of salt water puddling at this point.  It is one of the issues with using non anodized aluminum for masts.  A drain might have prevented the failure but, who knows?  May need to rethink how stress relief is engineered.  Just having a thicker mast section would not have failed without any reinforcement but weight, especially aloft is always a bugaboo.

Sorry to hear about the mishap! I was delighted to hear from Bill Highsmith yesterday from the EC start. Bill (aka I think as swim-boy) bought Peggy-O from me a year or so ago. He is doing well in this race as are the other CS's. He seems to have renamed her Cool Change. We are rooting you all on in the race and hope you have safe sailing! Bills call prompted me to get back on this forum and it is a pleasure to "reconnect" with you guys. The Peggy-O build was a ball, particularly with your support!

This is a quote from Alan. It was posted on the FB.
"Leaving AGAIN early, headed down pine island sound. now we can fit under the c span of sanibel. Our plan all along of course."

What a wonderful, combination, of grit, ingenuity, and humor.

Lennie,

Good to have you back. How cool is it that Peggy-o is doing so well in the race. I followed her build and got much inspiration from it and your posts. My Sandy Dancer is ready for paint and hardware. I would love to enter her in the EC next year.

Are you still in Fla and if so will you be at the finish line with camera in hand?

Jeff Cox

Anyone getting updates on the EC? I cannot seem to get new results on the Watertribe site since Swimboy made it to Checkpoint 2 a day and a half ago. Watertribe FB page doesn't show anything new regarding results thatI can find. Maybe it is that I only have an IPad at my disposal. Thanks

About 1pm this afternoon Swimboy was near Pavilion Key a few mile south of Chokoloskee. Nomadic was a mile or so behind him and Alan and Paul a few miles back in Rabbit Key Pass.

As of 6pm Swimboy is off Lostmans River, Nomadic a mile or so ahead and Alan and Paul just a mile or so further.

Is Swimboy running solo?