Engine well for CS17

Scott Dufour

Wes, you'll have to forgive Ray, as he has no concept of a hot summer's day. To him the upper 80's is a scorcher and 90's unbearable. Since he sees the 90's once every few decades, maybe for an hour or two each occasion, he can take it when it occurs. Now, down here in the glorious south, he'd shrivel up like an over cooked bit of bacon on what we would consider a moderate summer's day. Yep, I can see him now, with a 1/8" thick layer of SPF 50 on his bald spot, wishing like hell he had an outboard to putter the 5 miles back to the ramp, in a sweltering dead calm, on a mid southern afternoon's yankee roast. We've cooked a fair piece of northern melanoma stew for 'ya all.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well in all fairness we typically do have far more pleasant weather in the summer than those in the south.

I wouldn't go to the extreme that Par has in describning our cooler summers though.

We have at least 15-20 days each summer in excess of 90 degrees.

100 plus weather is al;so not an uncommon occurrence at least a few days each summer.

And it is not at all uncommon to see humidity in the 80% plus range for 10 plus days in the summer.Dew points in the 60s and 70s are clearly unpleasant.

We have the good fortune though when hit with such weather we can hibernate in our air conditioned houses until the injustice passes and we return to 80 degree weather with humidity inthe 50% range.  TYpically only takes 2-3 days at worse.

Well, the Southern heat is "special" -- I don't know if that's the right word. We moved to Georgia from Iowa three years ago. Iowa occasionally sees hot days up to 102F (rarely) or 98F (much more common) sometimes even with 100% humidity, but in Georgia, those same temperatures feel far hotter and the humidity feels far more suffocating. This is the only place on earth where I have ever been that merely going outside (with no physical exertion whatsoever) will have you sweating noticeably in less than 5 minutes, even in the shade. It is really amazing how much the heat can sap your strength here within a couple of hours.

At least once a year, they find a sun-dried skeleton clutching a pair of oars on the lake here, often with the words "I wish I had a motor" scratched in the gunwales by a human fingernail.  :)

I can pretty much guarantee I wouldn't have a motor on a CS series even if I lived in Georgia.

I wouldn't be out boating in heat and humidity you talk about.  I would either be holed up in an air conditioned building,  or I would be in an air conditioned car driving to a more reasonable climate to go sailing in.

Here in Maine we don't much go sailing in the  Wintah,  Down in Georgia I wouldn't much go sailing out in the Summah.

Paul is generally a purist about a motor, but when we planned to do the week long 200 mile trip on the NC Coast this past June (with our friend Steve Earley in his Pathfinder), I told him I wouldn't do it with him without a motor.  Too much rowing for me in the really hot NC summer days when the wind dies (paddling is different :).  We had a route and a schedule that we were going to try and keep to within reason.  Luckily he acquiesced and Ken lent us his.  We had a great time, very little motoring, but helpful when needed.  Now of course I'm pushing to buy our own just to have.  Paul's attitude is if we have one, we'll use it.

Paul's just started a blog to post about our 'Dawn Patrol' trip reports, boat building etc... its at http://cs20dawnpatrol.blogspot.com/.  As a statistician he was quite interested in looking at some of the details of our motor use during the trip, and is now writing an article that reports on it, how long, when, benefits, etc...

Still no work yet about buying one though :)

Dawn

We have at least 15-20 days each summer in excess of 90 degrees.

Thanks Ray!  My stomach hurts from laughing so hard!  I almost spit Dr Pepper all over the keyboard!  We get 15-20 of those in a ROW!  :lol:  (And lows in the 70s, which makes for very nice mornings)

My motor doesn't sweat nearly as much as me on the (typical) 90+ summer day here.  And we may not have much tidal range here, but I've been very grateful for the motor when going under a bridge against the current - Much better than anchoring in the hot sun and waiting several hours to row through  8)

Well Ken,  When you have one of those 20 day stretches in the forecast, maybe you could pack up the boat and vehicle and come on up to Maine for a summah Vacation.

All of our License plates on our vehicles here proudly proclaim VACATIONLAND.

Tourism is Big Big business and we do what we can to lure all we can up here and then work to separate them form their money before sending them back home with many great memories.

So come on up.  We'll put a Lobster int he pot for you and keep the beer cold.

And Bring Money.  Gobs of it.  or plastic,  we take those too!

So come on up.  We'll put a Lobster int he pot for you and keep the bear cold

I've heard about bears and that they can quite nasty but hibernate during the winter...this must be a new tourism initiative (putting the bears into cold rooms) :lol:

Seriously though Ray, I'm going to be in Bar Harbor for a day (September 17) on a pre-conference cruise ending in Boston. Any suggestions for best one day outing (perhaps with a little value for money given your earlier statements)?

BTW just to keep it on topic- I'm with the engine group. Don't use it much but it's nice occasionally.

Cheers

Peter HK

One Day in Bar Harbor??

Just 1 day?

Shoot you could easily spend weeks there.

OK,  What do you like??

Generally we are awful cheap and keep our entertainment very low cost

There is the Margaret Todd a 4 masted steel schooner with hard chines and twin centerboards.  Not the most traditional but the only foor master around.  If you do that one I would do a sunset cruise if one is available with John Tercyak playing on it.  John has been a friend of ours since before 9/11/01.  He plays a mean celtic fiddle as well as plays guitar and sings nicely and you can also buy one of his CD's on the ship.  His fiddle one is hands down a definite buy if you are only going to buy 1.

Here is his personal website.  http://www.johntercyak.com/?area=home.  You could email or phone him and see where he might be playing.  That is some wicked cheap entertainment and good too.

Several great hikes on Mount Desert if you like hiking.  Gorham family mountain is one you can climbing about 40 minutes and is not terribly strenuous but rewards with excellent views.  It is accessed by traveling on the Park Loop road and you do pass by Thunder hole on the way.  At the right tide , (Incoming tide about 2-3 hrs before high) water rushes in a channel andtraps air in a hole and make s a thunder clap and water sprays about forcefully.  If a hurricane runs up the coast off shore aroudnd taht time the hole is qute spectacular.

If not hiking, a ride up Cadillac mountain is well worth the effort.  Mt Cadilac is a Pink Granite mountain and is tallest mountain on the island and is very pretty to see with great views all around the island and Bays. There is free public transit bus on the island running on Natural gas that can take you up the mountain and to other hiking spots.  Running the netire Park Loop road is one of the most scenic highways around with excellent outstanding views.  You can stop at Hulls Cove visitor center and purchase or even rent a CD or tape to play in your car as you drive th road and you stop at various areas and it gives a guided tour of the road and the park.

There is a whale watching ship near downtown Bar Harbor with good educational program on board.

Also there is a very nice whale museum if you like museums within walking distance of the docks.

The Abbe Museum nearby features Native American history and artifacts of the area.

You can rent kayaks for the day and venture around Frenchmans bay and the Porcupine islands right offf of Bar Harbor.

If you have vehicle and are able to travel and go to Southwest harbor there is an awesome Oceanarium with touch tanks and loads of info.  Run by a husband and wife intheir 60's or 70's  Husband is lifelong lobsterman and wife is a marine Biologist.  Also a  second branch of same oceanarium near entrance to the island where the Lobstering demo is given and also a lobster hatchery.

Downtown bar Harbor you can also go out ona  dive boat where they send a diver down to Ocean bottom to pick some interesting critters.  You get to see him down there by remote TV and see the creatures in native habitat.  he then brings up to ship and you get to see the stuff up close before they release.

Also there are lobster boats you can pay to go out on and see how traps are hauled and lobster are handled.

In the interior to the island there is a nice Granite works museum to learn about the granite quarries that used to operate on the Maine Islands.

One of the most famous quarries was in Somes Sound which featured a very close grained Pink granite that could be polished to a very high gloss.  It would cost twice as much as most other granites due to supply demand.  there is  a story of a bid that went out speccing out Somes Sound Granite and the winning bid thought it was a typo simply speccing out some sound granite and lost his shirt on the job.

And of course there are no shortage of restaurants and gift shops to separate you form your money as well.

We typically go and spend a week up there.

We go camping and bring all of our food and do not eat out... Cheap remember...

We also only window shop at the stores.  we fill our minds with memories and take lots of digital pics and have a great week for little more than gas money and campground fees.

I've heard about bears and that they can quite nasty but hibernate during the winter...this must be a new tourism initiative (putting the bears into cold rooms) :lol:

No Bears on Mount Desert Island.  And on the rest of Maine the bears are black bears and are typically skittish and will avoid you unlike Grizzlies.  Biggest worry is to make sure you don't get between Mama and the Babies.

And I went and corrected that typo...

We also have some awesome Microbreweries in Maine that make some excellent Beers.  Shipyard is one of my favorites with their export ale.

Peter,

I have only been to Bar Harbor once so that does not make me an authority. An old mate of mine owns and runs lobster cruises on the Lulu. http://www.lululobsterboat.com/. If your time is limited John runs two hour cruises for $30.00, he is a lot of fun and knows a lot about the area and lobstering and he will pull a few pots on each cruise. He took my family out, I had to work, they had a great time. If you don't have time to go out, at least say hello and tell him that you know me.

Peter,

I have only been to Bar Harbor once so that does not make me an authority. An old mate of mine owns and runs lobster cruises on the Lulu. http://www.lululobsterboat.com/.

It seems you know people everywhere Graham.

You give Johnny Cash a run for the money..  "Ive Been Every where Man"

Now I will have to look him up when I go there next.