I enjoy wood.

Oyster

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats right his son is stationed over there Steve.  Greg I waved to you as I went by the other day on the way up to Muskegon.  Couldn't see you wave back going down either.  Got a chance to take my brothers boat out. He docks her in Mich City.  Cold wind that day. Actually not bad wx while we were in Muskegon. Saralee's  mom is sick, nearly 90, so there was really no time for anything but getting mom's situation straightened out.  I'd like once to go up there when it was a real vacation.  Like that third week in July when it is warm.  :cool: :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Steve we ended up heading north on the return. This was mamma's trip since she rarely gets to take off for any length of time. But with the proposed changes coming up, she needed to take some of her allotted time off before she lost it. But I did manage to get on the water with the little guy and it did everything I ask it to do and then some in some nasty water. I put it through the paces after a fellow thought that the boat was just a punky tender. :joker:

The big boat still needs some attention to detail and I will get back on it after I catch my breath from 3 thousand miles and two weeks away.

DSC07097.jpg

DSC07098.jpg

Mike,

I understand the situation. It was probably quite pretty up in the "hills" coming back.

We were up in Atlanta helping our son (aka "kidney boy") settle into his new house early in the week. You know the drill. Put in faucets, fix toilets, make a few cuts to fit the 'fridge in, install a medicine cabinet, etc.

We went to New Orleans Thursday to see "Cats." Our daughter is on the touring company as a crew member.

It is fun showing people how neat the Garvey is and how well it can take rough water. I'm sure the "short" Simmons is a lot like that.

Steve

Mike,

I understand the situation. It was probably quite pretty up in the "hills" coming back.

We were up in Atlanta helping our son (aka "kidney boy") settle into his new house early in the week. You know the drill. Put in faucets, fix toilets, make a few cuts to fit the 'fridge in, install a medicine cabinet, etc.

We went to New Orleans Thursday to see "Cats." Our daughter is on the touring company as a crew member.

It is fun showing people how neat the Garvey is and how well it can take rough water. I'm sure the "short" Simmons is a lot like that.

Steve

Its was just beginning to turn fall colors. But by the weekend's end, they were beginning to really glow. I have been told that our next trip will find us laying over and hopefully helping you launch your new hull. We are still trying to catch up and she is still studying away for the final boards on friday. I left her alone and did venture over to the B&B gig and took the little guy and entertained the kids with a thrill ride of sorts doing donuts around the cs boats.

Hmmm....since you are back....can we expect some progress photos? :)

I will have some shots by the end of the week of the modifications of the front windows and also a sneak preview of the "air conditioning" setup. I cut out the center styles and redid them to make them align with the cabin,. I really did not need the more upright for clearance going foward after all the interior was finished.  I got a fair amount of paint to do. I am also having to fix a wreck that will take up some of my free time of the 22' Simmons that I took out two side planks. A guy launching his boat with no experience attempted to T Bone me at that ramp after he got spun around with the winds and felt the need to push the throttles all the way up and headed right at me.  I way laying side ways the wind and hit the throttle to get out of the way but did not have good control at that speed to turn the boat away from the finger pier. So the result was smash=boom, Awlquip paint job also now needs to be redone after i finish the repairs.

Ow!

I thought you were playing with the 12 now. Sorry to hear about the 22. At least, when we built them, re-building them is not too difficult.

Have a good one,

Steve

I have the 12 down pat for what its intended use, only pushing the envelope of what a simple hull like that should do, tweaking would be the word that I would use, i guess. Yea the 22 is a long story, but hopefully I have all the bugs worked out for the running portions of it and will only need to install the electronics after i finish the repair and repainting. Cheers.

Incidents like that make a person wonder about requiring qualifications to run a boat. There are not too many people like that, but there are enough of them out there to make you wonder.

One of the greatest sources of entertainment (when I am not involved) is to watch some of the drama at the local boat ramps.

Steve

Well I have gone green now with my Model 15 air conditioning unit. I modified my windshield center styles so that all the angles across the front match and did not irritate the experts. :) :cool:  :-P. I have also installed an all natural "ac unit" so that no matter what the weather is if i need air flow inside to cool things down I have it.

I incorporated a storage box foward also to keep my dock lines foward and will not need to carry them up the sides when docking, especially when my admiral feels the need to handle the lines.

DSC07125.jpg

I installed pvc and made a turn uphill and around and feel that I will get no water in them with an occasional spray. Inside I have left the extention pipe long and will use a cap to seal it off when I do not need the ac or if its cool.

I did use small fillets around the necks after I got the glasswork done so that it finishes off nicely when painted. You can actually fit the pipe flush and use vents across the top and it may look abit better. But I want as much air as I can get inside, especially if I go to Cancun or simular carribean spots.  8)

DSC07126.jpg

I just taped the uprights using fillets on both sides, glassing the exterior and icing the cake with microlight.  :wink:

DSC07121.jpg

I sealed the inside with carbon fiber thickened epoxy so that it will be durable since I will not be able to redo the interior without a lot of work, even though I will have the lids on the top. The lids will not be that big by the time I install the hinges and gutters on each section for access.

DSC07136.jpg

DSC07139.jpg