I have been absent without leave for about three weeks leaving Alan to fend for himself. He appears to have done such a good job I might have to sail more.

The owner of the big power cat that we built, called me and asked if I would like to help him bring her back home from the Exumas. It too several nanoseconds to say yes. His intended crew had injured himself and had to return home.

I was able to delay my departure to see the first two days of the Family Island Regatta at Georgetown. It is the biggest sporting event in the Bahamas. The Prime Minister and Governor General among other notable dignitaries attend the awards ceremony.

I never did find out what the design rules were but the theme was to install the tallest mast that they could get away with and if you want more sail area just make the boom longer and add foot round until it drags in the water. I understand that they now have to return with all of the crew that they left with but they appear to adjust the number of crew for each race to the expected wind strength.

The fleets were big and I think that there were four classes. I do not think that #5 would pass the Coast Guard level flotation rules.

I was pleased to see that the Osprey's were doing well. There were not that many in Florida or Georgia but the Carolinas had lots of nests with chicks looking like they were almost ready to fledge.

fir1.jpg

fir2.jpg

fir3.jpg

fir4.jpg

fir5.jpg

Osprey chick.jpg

Amos,

The Gulf Stream crossing was very easy. We sat at Bimini for a few days waiting for a norther to pass. By lunch time on the day before we expected to cross, the forecast said the wind had shifted east and the swell was dropping so we were underway by 1:00 pm. It turned out fine and we were anchored up in West Palm Beach before dark. Of course we were running at 10 knots and the stream gave us another 3 knots. We can cruise at an easy 15 knots but 10 suited the conditions. You cover a lot of ground at 13 knots. I pushed for turning up the axis of the stream and be home in a couple of days but the owner nixed it. In retrospect I enjoyed the trip up the waterway. Watches meant pushing the left or right buttons on the auto pilot every couple of minutes and watch the world go by. 

I never saw any conditions that Carlita could not handle easily. We just need a good weather window to make up for our lower speed.

• Like 1

So glad to hear about your trip Graham. I was going to press for details the other day but thought better of it. I'm sure Carlita would be in her element offshore headed for the Bahamas, and can't wait to hear your telling of that story.

• Like 1

I'm envious.  I was never in the Exumas at the right time for the regatta.  It looks like a lot of fun.  Thanks for the pictures.

If you want to get in there and race, though, you'll have to get to work on your immigration papers - The boats have to be designed, built, owned and crewed by Bahamians.

http://www.bahamasgeotourism.com/content/national-family-island-regatta/bahAED49E7DAF831017A|

I thought of you today, Mr. Designer. We took our skiff up the Trent River today, away from all of the crazies and wind at the shore and found dozens of new babies nesting on all the day markers and what is supposed to be lighted markers. So I thought I would share one for you on your thread.

IMG_2035.JPG