Reasons to build a boat:

Frank Hagan

Let's put together a list, so we can stick it on a poster and just point to it when someone says "Why on earth are you building a boat?" I don't think it really deserves a deep, philosophical answer, but one more in keeping with Dave's "Top Ten" list. But you can suggest whatever you'd like, as long as its brief enough to be put on a list.

Here's mine:

Mermaids!

The challenge of working from drawings to finished project.

To keep the mind alert and the fingers busy with something besides a remote control.

To involve the family in a worthwhile project (building the boat and learning to sail it safely.)

Because it is creative, stimulating, frustrating, satisfying and good clean fun.

Because it is fun to work with wood and create something more complex than a bookshelf.

To become acquainted with several new skils, epoxy, fibreglas, rigging, sailing terminology, lofting, finishing for exposure to salt/fresh water/ maintenance.

Learning basics of sailing with a homemade project.

Fellowship with others in a clean, wholesome experience.

Simple to me. I enjoy being on the water every spare minute of my life. I enjoy sitting in something that that I have put together that is unigue and different. But what I enjoy the most is watching it go together. The drive and creation by square pegs. The mind works all the time. And it give me something to think about in the middle of the night. Some get up and read a book. I get up and sand a piece or trim or plan a new layout, that I wasn't sure of when I left the shop. When it done, a person usually wants to do another one. Make sure you don't rush your project.

And on that note, I must go and cut out some strips of biaxall for tabs.

So dummies that walk into the shop will have something to ask about :D

But the real reason-

Cause after you build one, ya just gotta do it again!! And there isn't a much better feeling than having someone say - "hey nice boat. Where'd you get it?" and you can say (quietly of course) - "I built it"

- It is fun to build one :) (When not too exhausted or too much dust in nose and eyes or something breaks or the cut was wrong or the piece of plywood had the wrong thickness etc.)

- It is even more fun to go sailing :D and it is social in the best way possible

- I want to see the Florida Keyes and I do not want to sail back and forth to a marina in Miami (which the Weekender allows by doing the transport per car and sailing where you want to be)

- Save money on the boat and even more on no marina rent

- I am Norwegian!

- Sailing makes for the best sleep in the world after active relaxation on the water

- I like fishing (and cooking it for a meal!)

- The best excuse possible to avoid turning on the TV (helps you keep your brainpower and ability to think for yourself)

- Keeps me young and fit

- and all the other good reasons!!! 8)

Here's heresy: I like to fix things more than to make them. So people stopping by our home in the city wonder about the strange poles in the front hall and the notes scattered everywhere and the favourite block and cleat on the kitchen counter. People seeing my binders or visiting our house in Maryland or inadvertantly looking behind a door in the sitting room to see a large, grey roll of hypalon wonder "what, another boat?" I like to figure out how to make something work again. Also to discover what the intent of the maker was. Also to figure out a fix for something that wasn't so hot. The result is a bunch of little boats that live with me for now but may go on to someone who seems to need one. Why the passion for repair? No idea at all. When my grandmother and mother taught me to sew as a little girl, I wanted to learn darning not dressmaking.

You should see the junk related to my other fix-it loves. Drawers of fabric for patches. A tiny vestibule full of loppers and pole saws for pruning street trees. The home for wayward and recovering plants in the small city back yard.

But everyone likes to borrow my tools! The lady's sledge has spent the winter a few blocks away and the ladders just left for restoration of a derelict house. One of the pole saws has wandered off but will show up eventually.

John M., that's a good one. It took me years to realize that whenever my husband started to talk about mountain climbing in South America, setting me off into frantic appeals about guerrillas and civil wars, he just happened to have an alternative plan for mountains in a country without drug cartels. He still claims it's all just coincidence. If he ever starts talking about building a plane, I'm on to him.

On this project, YES!! :D Twas Capt Varnish for a bit, now onto the little things.

Painting the boat on Tuesday Morning (spray automotive). Hope to get the non skid (contrasting color) in place the next day or so after paint. Varnish will hopefully only need minor touch up after that. Then install hardware (hain plates, portlights, hinges, etc). Then I am on to the rigging!!!