Waste Knot 14'

Frank approved of this post here. So here goes it. I am a sucker for outcasts in the wood departments. Many lumber yards cull through their stock piles as many folks don't like inperfections. I do, and make do I do. :wink:

This is my latrest pile of scrap from my local yard, that is gracious enough to allow me to haul it away from there.

IN the don't want pile, there was a bunch of aged cedar siding, with a big lap, partially splintered on it. Also there was a bunch of cypress planks, 16' long, that was a misfit for the yard. No one knew how it got there, and wanted it gone.

wood siding

SO I felt obliged to save it from the land fill.

This is the result of looking at it till I couldn't stand it any longer.

I ripped off the broken laps, leaving around 3/4" on it, and the other side had the reverse lap all in tack.

If you notice, off to the side, there is a pattern of the bottom, built out of MDO plywood, from the old sign of the yard, scarfed and epoxied glued, already primed for the new paint, with the old paint job on it.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the design for your skiff? It's got neat' date=' no nonsense lines like a proper working boat.[/quote']

The design comes from an ancient past, founded by many generations of building from the old country. KISS. :lol: And FWIW[for what its worth department] it will be a smaller version of the sharpie -spritsail type, done in lapstrake, or that is my intentions. I will be putting a sprit rig in the future on it. But for now, oars and electirc engine will work till the boating season season changes here, and I find time to work on those parts.

We never built much by plans, just past learning from what fits the situation. We always attempted to make due with the avaliable materials, as in this case.

My wife and I wanted something that was a little more stable than the canoe, that we could go up the marshlands for birding and clamming along the shore. But it had to fit and sit on a trailer. I was tired of glasswork, too.

I don't know why I get the red Xs part of the times and close and reopen it to show the pictures. :?

very very very nice. Looks like a functional + Lovely boat. i especially appreciate the use of 2nd's!

Adla

I actually did another job of seconds' date=' Adla, a nice addition on my back deck. In that load, I also aquired some pressure treated twisted 2x8 tongue and groove, 4x4 posts, bowed all up, 2x4x16 distorted stuff, much of it had fallen off the piles and was not laying flat. WIth the drying out of it, wood does not do well, with keeping straight at all. Much of the t&g the grooved stuiff has splintered off and people will not buy it. SO I get it, take it and rip off the grooves and tongue, and I make 2x6 s out of it. I found some 2x8s with some bark on it, and made the band for my deck and ripped ledges out of 2x4s, screwed them to the 2x8s and laid the deck beams on them and then decked over it with seconds of the same style of 1x6s, normally 5/4 stuff, but the stuff matched the old section that was there when I purchased the house and has held up pretty good.

The seats are all done out of the so called no good 2x4s. I am use to working around grain patterns, and can make wood conform to the needs, unlike so many weekend wood workers doing honeydos jobs, :wink: Sorry, Adla, :lol:

There is just too much stuff thrown away. My whole shop was built this way last year, sorting through the dumpster and back lots of returned wood from contractors jobs, much that had nail marks and dirt on it, and no one wanted any of it. I traded off some good old carolina home grown pork meat and some barbeque for a tip to the guys that saved it for me.

I made my second layer of my shop floor out of window cut outs from siding plywood, from house jobs that gets thrown away in construction dumpsters. It all works great for that and for jigs for boat molds. Well enough and thanks to Frank for allowing me to share this with other wood folks. Next time you go to your local lumber yard, take note. Many would love for you to clean up misfit pieces that will not stack right on a new and fresh unbanded pile of lumber, that is just waiting for someone to sort through it and not stack it back up just right.

If you will also notice short 4x4s on the deck portion, waiting for some extentions to be scarfed on them to support a purgula top. Thats for the next batch of 2x6s

[

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin']

Oyster' date='

Is that a C-dory or like boat on the side?

And please tell me that is not the rafters in the roof of your boat house but the shoring of a beautiful ship to be?

I had to get my glasses, and I know I sometimes see things that aren't there, :oops: But?[/quote']

Nope that is supports for the roof, with the wood storage, shown in the upper shots, outboard of those 2x6s. The boat is a garvey hull in the making. I don't know why the shot shows unlevel, because the floor or jig is not.

I don't know why the shot shows unlevel' date=' because the floor or jig is not.[/quote']

Perhaps the camera man is not on the level! Too much grog in the boat shop?

I like the idea of using reclaimed lumber ... Aslan has reclaimed douglas fir for her mast, gaff and boom, made from lumber my father used originally to build a patio roof. In those days, around 1972, the construction grade douglas fir was pretty good ... you might have knots in it, but it was pretty much tight vertical grain.

I don't know why the shot shows unlevel' date=' because the floor or jig is not.[/quote']

Perhaps the camera man is not on the level! Too much grog in the boat shop?

I like the idea of using reclaimed lumber ... Aslan has reclaimed douglas fir for her mast, gaff and boom, made from lumber my father used originally to build a patio roof. In those days, around 1972, the construction grade douglas fir was pretty good ... you might have knots in it, but it was pretty much tight vertical grain.

There is a lot of cypress and old growth fir arund in older barns, that get burnt up when termites get to the sills of barns and abanddoned houses. There are outfits that take these building down, in our area. Its a shame to burn a lot of this stuff up. But taking the stuff down is a dangerous business without equipment. But I, for one, just end up with cold chills, when I see old growth going up in flames, or dumpsters filled with milled lumber because it has taken a different shape. I believe boats were invented to allow wood to live out its natural life in the shape of curves. :wink:

Oh Frank, Mamma does not allow grog in the shop or me in the shop with grog. I hate making wrong cuts on wood and fingers. :lol:

Seems to me I remember your wife is a nurse?? Good choice for a creative guy' date=' with or without grog. :D[/quote']

:) And my fishing partner, and my canoe partner, and a wonderfull healthcare provider , and a wonderfull lady to allow me to do what I enjoy, all of our 25 years next month. I just keep her in boats, and bait, and keep the sawdust and screws out of the laundry and she is happy.

What more can a man ask for in life but three boys that have given me no problems till manhood. Gosh, I gotta stop this, as I am taking up too much space for myself endulgences here. Now that I think about it, I may have to take her to lunch today. 8)

On behalf of the women's team: Yes, take that nurse to lunch or fishing or both! Sounds like you two have a good thing there in division of labour. Lot's of ladies would compete for a guy who supplies bait and boats and tries to keep the yucky stuff out of the laundry. 8) And how's your boy with the coasties doing? Remember, Frank actually enjoys our nattering on a bit, bless his heart.

Thanks for asking about my oldest son. He is transfering to a new non-combat duty station July 15, for a change. His last mission was filled partially with a true mission of mercy, one in Haiti, helping rebuild and equip an orphan home, before returning home two months ago. This was just part of his crew and smiles that many of our fellow guys brought to the people that suffer so much of poverty of Haiti. Impact? will forever stick in his mind the last two years for the rest of his life.

ahh, those were the days... :? a smipler, less complicated time... :roll: Tricky Dick and the plummers...deep throat and the domino effect...sigh, sniff...the big lie...the list is endless... :shock: 'course, I wasn't building a boat then... :P

The seats are all done out of the so called no good 2x4s. I am use to working around grain patterns, and can make wood conform to the needs, unlike so many weekend wood workers doing honeydos jobs, Sorry, Adla,

:D WhatcHoo mean Sorry, Adla???

I think your use of 2nds is great. I have stacks of stuff people try to throw away...i haven't accomplished anything like a boat or a deck out of the wood..YET. i needed hardwood for my dual tool station and will be using some 2nds instead of buying "new" boards...

btw congratulations on your first 25 years!

Adla

Thanks, Adla. She has put up with a lot. :wink: The honeydos meant the folks, with list of projects in hand, that go down to the big orange stores and look for the absolutely perfectly straight pieces, paying full prices for such, with their wives, and with project book in hand, and then go home and cut up the perfectly straight and clean boards up into pieces, nailing them together, and painting them all pretty while the wife is impressed with such admiration.. :lol:

We take a 2x4x16 twisted , either picked out of the back forty, or out of the return pile, throw the yard forman a buck of some other barter stuff, and haul it away. You do need to know some grain orientation for boat stuff. But so much of the deck stuff is a joke, even after you sort through the good piles, bring it home, put it together , and the sun hits it for a week. Cheers. When is your projected float date?