Steve W

Trailer for Core Sound Mark 3 boats.

On 7/27/2018 at 2:02 AM, Chick Ludwig said:

Seems like two rollers on the same frame doesn't give enough separation.

Chick,

I think Graham is trying to extend the life of the rollers by doubling them up.

Ken is exactly right. I have the black rollers and the yellow ones and one of solid starboard that I made and all of them as well as some of the brackets show some signs of distortion, not to mention the ones that I have replaced. It is clear that I am putting more weight on the rollers than they can handle. Doubling them up must surely be an improvement.

Well, after 18 months of indecision and general waffling,  Southern Express is luxuriously lounging on her new aluminum frame trailer.  

41776EA8-94ED-45A6-88FA-3E714FBB5104.jpeg

That looks like a nice combo.

That is a very substantial trailer. All of the trailers I looked at in that "weight" class had very stiff suspensions. Due to a strange situation (got rear ended) I once had my Sea Pearl (600#) on my Sea Ray 180's  (2800#) trailer. It was a maddening combo. The suspension was so stiff that the Sea Pearl was bouncing in a very jarring motion. I wound up having to cinch the boat down in three spots to keep it from the jarring bounce. Did you get a suspension on a trailer that big for a sub-thousand pound load? 

Hi Steve, we had the trailer “custom” built for our boat.  It has 14 inch wheels, a 3500 drop axle with 1,500 springs and their heavy aluminum I beams.  The trailer weighs about 700 lbs, so the boat seems to enjoy a smooth ride. The frame goes around the entire perimeter of the boat, and sits very low.   The guys that built it have a lot of trailer stuff and were very accommodating.  They just gather the parts and bolt them together like a erector set. 

On 2/15/2019 at 2:29 PM, Jknight611 said:

Well, after 18 months of indecision and general waffling,  Southern Express is luxuriously lounging on her new aluminum frame trailer.  

Jay-

That trailer looks great.  I don't want to pry into what you paid for it, but would you be willing to share a parts list or an invoice (maybe with the prices blacked out), or maybe the name of the guy(s) that built it for you, so that I could look into getting a similar one?  

Also, it is hard to see from the photo, but how many rollers (if any) are underneath the keel?

thanks,

-e

Edited by NowWeTryItMyWay
spelling

The trailer with all the extra dodads I had installed was about $2200.  There was a little upcharge because I needed the axle forward of where they normally place them for powerboats.  Seems a trailer frame this size normally has a 300 hp outboard on the boat. It has 4 long bunks the boat  lounges  on.  They are shaped to the bottom of the hull so we have about 65 linear feet of 2x8 carpeted bunks supporting the hull.  Seems to ride fine and is much easier to unload an load.   The only marks on the hull have occurred with trailer ops with the previous trailer,  hope this trailer helps. 

When I was at the Messabout, the trailer I liked best was Michael's. It was the lowest to the ground and the simplicity of the wide bunk boards supporting the swing keel made sense. You can see the dent where his board was resting on the left bunk board. I don't see why the keel would be stronger than the vertical bulkheads directly above these bunk boards, although I wouldn't hesitate to rest it on the keel.

I thought because it was so narrow in support it would be "tippy" but it wasn't. Being that I am mostly in fresh water, I find dipping the trailer to not be a problem, whereas I can see if I was in salt water how the keel roller would make sense.

2117701857_2018-10-2009_39_36.thumb.jpg.c4c886d7f50b5257128f288532cdf012.jpg

Is there anything I'm not seeing?