All deck up and no place to go CS 17 #284

Jim Stumpf

My count down timer tells me 79 days to the FL 120... I am keeping my nose to the grind stone. I spent the weekend installing the decks and started the deck hatches. I used copper ring shank nails to nail down the deck. I had a Mirror dinghy that was done this way and I really liked the look of the varnished ply wood with the copper nail heads as an accent. This evening after work I re-manufactured my miter gauge and forced it into service as a scarfing jig for the rub rails. Looks like I will be mixing some epoxy tomorrow. Maybe I should have vacuumed before taking pictures. Thanks for following along.

Jim

IMG_20120227_201528.jpg

IMG_20120227_201503.jpg

IMG_20120227_203719.jpg

IMG_20120227_203753.jpg

Get a move on Jim! I'd really like to have another CS-17 to sail in company on the FL-120.

Hey John,

I hear you have been sailing with my old buddy Scott. If he has told you anything about his days here in Ohio please know that he has been known to lie a bit. :)

I am looking forward to getting down to Florida, looks like the CS should be done but in a worse case scenario I will be bringing Primrose (Which is not a bad thing). Things tend to get done when there is a dead line and I have been hard at work. You should know all the ropes on your vessel by now and I will need to pick your brain about sailing the cat-ketch. Looking forward to meeting you after following your exploits over the years.

Jim

Hey Tom,

The seat hatches are only dry fitted without the hinges. I did purchase stainless piano hinges as on the drawings. On Primrose I just used stainless but hinges and on the Vacationer I used plastic butt hinges. They have all had similar gutter/drain set ups seemed to work OK.

Vacationer Hinges

cooking1web.jpg

Primrose Hinges

037.JPG

Hope that helps

Just looking back at the pictures the outboard and my trusty side kick Joe are always the same but the boats are always different.

Jim

Just a word of warning re the stainless piano hinge. I used them on my CS 17 and they rusted out in less than 12 months. It looked like the central metal spine may not have been stainless or perhaps a poor grade of stainless and it rusted very quickly. The initial reaction was that it was probably chinese rubbish (though I suspect that china isn't alone in poor quality items at times). Ask about the grade of stainless before you buy it as the piano hinge holds water a bit longer than smaller hinges and thus is prone to corrosion.

Cheers

Peter HK