Sailing game

lbrewer

hey Dave -

lots of stuff taken...not good. And it sets me back...quite a ways! Property damage and all kinds of problems. Wanted to have the Birder material ordered...but lost a cell phone 2 weeks or so ago and then this! SOB is luck I wasn't home or that I didn't arrive home while he was here...I would have shot him :) I'm really very nice, but I have my limits.

I think I have my groove back in the race!

a.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 days and 10 hours into leg 5

For the Messing About Group:

1  Ebee Ann - 10788nm DTF - sailing well SW of the "path"

2  Debutante- 10800nm DTF - sailing just SW of the "path"

3  Hirilonde - 10815nm DTF - sailing well NE of the "path"

4  Wyvern - 10821nm DTF -  sailing SW of the "path"

5  Morgaine Lady of the Lake - 10496nm DTF - sailing SW of the "path"

6  Yellow Scourge - 10981nm DTF - sailing well SW of the "path"

7  Par Yachts - 11010nm DTF - sailing way SW of the "path"

8  Polar Dip - 11336nm DTF - sailing way SW of the "path"

Adabra and Integrity of the Seas are sailing several hundred miles to the NE of all of us.  This is also the track the real boats are taking.  Integrity of the Seas has broken south first, and has gained a substantial lead over Aldabra, for now that is.  It will be a week probably, before we start to really see what we should have done.  I am hoping, though I have no real reason to believe that my route was the fastest  ::)

I am convinced that the leaders from a day or 2 ago, who are following the GCR (great circle route) are wrong.  With New Zealand and 2 placed markers keeping us from staying on that track they should end up hard on the wind soon.  They might even end up tacking, which will kill their VMG (velocity made good)

Only time will tell which route turns out best.

I think you made the right choice Dave.  I had originally planned a similar route and only changed my mind after that unpredicted wind change  early on in the race.

That sure wasn't the predicted wind change.  That low was supposed to sit there another 12 hours.

You went ahead and toughed through it, while I kept waiting for an easting opportunity that hasn't occurred.  Unless we have another unpredicted wind change, those of us SW of the rhumb line are going to lose ground when we have to turn east to keep the New Zealand gate to starboard.

Larry

Yep, I'm running into the issue now with fluggie lighter winds along the equator, but little chance to get east. My thought was to get south then southeast and flatten out the track, figuring the game wasn't a round world, but a flat one and I'd make up miles around mid ocean. I'm a few days away from the equatorial calms and pretty much screwed with land to leeward and unlikely to reach the prevailing southeaster's below them, which was my plan from the start.

Integrity of the Seas has him by 38 miles and won't be passed easily.  Both took similar courses.  Sonolento shouldn't be counted out either.  But it proves the northerly course was the way to go.  The questions still not quite answered:  How far north, then how far east. was best?  More than my course for sure.  I'll settle for the excitement of passing 17000 boats in the last 24 hours.  I'm still curious how many went farther NE than me, should know in the next 2 days.  As we start to pass New Zealand it is looking like south of the "path might be a good idea.  Still contemplating that one.

Looks like Polar Dip is "stuck"on one of the Solomon Islands for most of the day today ! ...Really trying to get some traction towards the East, hope these little systems in the forecast actually do what they predict...Peeked at the weather down in the roaring 40's and it really was blowing hard...!

Some strange low pressure systems ahead.  Picking your way east is going to be tricky.  And with the southern boundary markers ahead the options are reduced.

The whole fleet is compressing back together a bit with the easterly boats running into lighter and more south easterly winds.  Hope this trend continues.  They have lost 300 miles over the last 60 hours.  I think they are going to have a hard time progressing towards The Horn now without spending serious time hard on the wind.  Just hoping I can avoid too much of that. 

Yeah, you're positioned pretty well at the moment. I head for the airport in a few minutes and will be away from a computer for much of the next five days so I'm going to have to pick some "safe" course(s) and hope I don't get hung up in the dead zones for too long...

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to Dave for being the first in our group to round Cape Horn !

Things are a little weird down in these latitudes, and my guess is that the projection we are seeing on the screen is somehow skewed as some of the bearings are NOT "true". I just thought I cleared a small island close to the Horn, and got a message that I had run aground (even though in blowing up the image it looks like I easily cleared it...). I think the skipper of "Power of 7" also mentioned this in a blog...

Worst case scenario here is that after 33 days of trying to reach Cape Horn I may not make  it there by morning, and then I have to fly to the West Coast for much of the morning so I may "miss" seeing my rounding.....

Well, now Debuatante has rounded as well.  And he is flying at 26.9 knots.  I can't even imagine what sailing that fast would be like.  As a kid I would sail my 420 in some silly weather, but doubt we got close to that.  Watching the videos of the Volvo 60s plow through waves with their chutes up is amazing.  It would be fun for an hour or so, they can do it for days.

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm reading the schedule correctly we should all be on the starting line around midnight tomorrow ( 11th?) for the run up to Boston. But when I go to the actual web page for the race the  race countdown "timer" isn't running yet. Anybody have more info on this, or should we just be ready to go tomorrow night? ???

Yeah it seems strange that the countdown timer for the completion of leg 5 would go beyond the actual start time for leg 6 ! ( Currently shows over 4 days left to finish leg 5...) In any event I hope to be "at the helm" for this entire leg as I am not scheduled to be out of town for a few weeks.

Belated Kudos, (and thank yous)  to Dave who actually was driving TWO boats for part of the last leg as I was in a place where the internet connection was a dial up (31.2 k...remember those days..?) and the computer involved was being run off of car batteries, ( when there was gas for the generator...) Took almost 30 minutes for the game to even load, never mind operate, so Dave helped me out by making course changes etc. when I was unable to communicate. In spite of that distraction he was still able to finish in 1301st place out of over 180,000 boats !