Design Software

esmikell

Proteus Engineering produces FastYacht/FastShip and FlagShip software.

It has a series of modules for hull form, stability, performance prediction, construction, etc. Mine is a customized version and not particularly new. This Is the web site, though I've never been there myself www.proteusengineering.com 

Funny you should ask.  I just started the search too. I stated with and still use Hulls some. But bear in mind I am still a novice at this!  But I quickly found Hulls to have limits I didn't like. VMRL views for example are nice but not good enough to really see what is going on.

Someone told me to try FreeShip, version 2.6 I think it is.  It's freeware but the developer has shifted to  DeftShip. It still has a free version but I am told it doesn't do as much as FreeShip did. FreeShip is still available you just have to find it. I found it at the Source Forge website and it is still free. Not a bootleg copy. It's just no longer being developed from what I gather.

It is 100 times more advanced than Hulls. It will import your Hulls models and then you can really tweak the designs. Of course you will  pull you hair out at first.  READ THE MANUAL!!  I have been using it for 3-4 weeks and just now getting to where I design a kayak with the deck and cockpit that looks right. But being free, your can't beat it.

These types of low cost or free software packages don't really do much. They create pretty pictures of boat shapes with the basic volumetric mathematics associated with them, but that's it.

They don't tell you if the boat shape is a good one, for the intent you may ask of it. Some of them do come with rudimentary resistance programs, which are somewhat lacking, but again you have to know what you want and what the numbers mean, which it doesn't tell you.

After your pretty boat picture is refined, how thick should the hull shell be? Should there be a bulkhead before or after the mast step? Any ideas of frame spacing or what type to use. Should you use transverse framing or longitudinal and what about the rest of the scantlings. What should the appendage relationships be? How do you calculate panel loading on the rig?

The questions are endless without an education.

For a small pulling boat or reasonably small, low powered powerboat, then you might be safe with one of these programs and a lot of guess work. On craft that will easily take you well past the point you can swim back to shore, you'd be best advised on the education aspect of the process, rather then the cute mouse clicking options available from software developers.

I'm not trying to be coy. There has been a lot of "computer designers" crop up in recent years, which ultimately will lead to mandated regulation by governments (more so then presently done) and nothing is so easy screwed up, then with additional overview by politicians and geeks who haven't a clue, but speak and dress well in front of a senate oversight committee.

The education comes first, the fancy tools second.

• 1 year later...

<horrible spammer's link deleted> is software used in e-commerce to assist people making purchases online .

This is in reference to what??

The spammer has been banned ... his IP address is banned, his email is banned, his name is banned. if I had the opportunity, I'd make like Al Capone in "The Untouchables" about Elliott Ness:  "I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! I want his house burned to the GROUND!"

Well, maybe that's too harsh.  But I hate spammers.  Especially when I allow free commercial posting in the Classifieds forum.

I have a trial version of "ProSurf 3" ( three versions $395 top end...) loaded on my computer, but haven't had time to play with it yet. The trial version actually allows you 25 "saves" so you can practice, and play with it before you make a purchase. I've seen some boats produced by the program and they are intricate, and accurate.

http://www.newavesys.com/products.htm

The spammer has been banned ... his IP address is banned, his email is banned, his name is banned. if I had the opportunity, I'd make like Al Capone in "The Untouchables" about Elliott Ness:  "I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! I want his house burned to the GROUND!"

Well, maybe that's too harsh.  But I hate spammers.  Especially when I allow free commercial posting in the Classifieds forum.

Just give me his name, address, details.....heh...heh...heh

Just give me his name, address, details.....heh...heh...heh

Its a web hosting business out of the San Francisco area ... I figure he's being punished enough by having to live near San Francisco, so we'll let him live.