Jump to content

Kudzu

Hall and Brown 12" jointer restoration

Recommended Posts

Just finished.... well finished the restoration, still working on powering it, a 1910(??) Hall and Brown 12" jointer. 44 hours labor so far. Looking for a vintage motor to power it. And yet it will be a user! it's not going to be a display.

BEFORE

atmikes1.jpg

AFTER

d9-finished1.jpg

Details and more photos on my web site.

Excelsior Woodworks

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup I knew that Charlie. I asked you some questions about your factory fence when I restored my '48 Unisaw a year or so ago. Found a set of NOS long rails, rebuilt the original fence. Partly because of your comments about the fence. Never regretted that choice either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That tool would certainly give me and excuse to add onto the shop. ;)  That is a sweet looking machine. :)

I still use my grandfather's 1946 8" Delta saw and the matching 1947 4" jointer, though I wish the jointer were larger.  The fence on the table saw is kinda flimsy looking, but it has been dead on accurate since the day I put it back together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK thought I would show updated photos.  I have the jointer finished and been using it for a couple of weeks. MAN, I love this thing! Nothing like being able to put a whole board across the jointer and being able to see the grain before I start cutting it up.

d20-finished1.jpg

finished4.jpg

d20-finished2.jpg

d20-finished3.jpg

77 hours labor and not much money latter it is running.  The motor was a give-me. Don't know anything about it. No data plate so we don't horsepower. Guessing it was built in the 1910-1920's. It was on a 24" jointer so I knew it would drive a 12" jointer.  Motor looked like heck when I got.  So it had to be restored but it ran perfectly. So no repairs were made to it. I probably spend 8 hour restoring it. Thats not counted in the 77.

These photos show the temporary electicals sitting on the floor. I finally found the correct cover for the controls. So that will all be mounted out of sight now.  Plus I am looking for a more elegant return spring on my guard.  ;) It works, but I want something that looks better than that. I consider this proof of concept since these didn't have guards originally.

I have run a lot of walnut across it in the past couple of weeks. Mostly face jointing but some edge jointing. I love listening to the flat belt lacing's clicking.  ;D  But the old square  head makes some noise beating the air. Sounds like a wanna be siren. Longest restoration I have taken on but it was worth it. Already wondering how I got by without a big jointer!

Jeff

More on my website if your interested.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/woodshop/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.