Sign in to follow this  
tfrei

repair advice

See attached picture to see what I'm looking to repair.  Basically, over the years the centerboard has damaged the plywood after hundreds of slams into it from the centerboard going in the down position.  I'm thinking of getting some epoxy between the de-laminated plywood layers, clamp together lightly (using wax paper to separate clamp from epoxied surfaces), and then overlaying with a strip of fiberglass later.  What do you think?

IMG_20190810_103716.jpg

It seems like that could work.  Another option would be to bevel back the existing ply, then lay in a tapered piece of hard solid wood such as doug fir or hard southern pine on the bevel, pare everything down to match, then put your glass over.  It might be hard to force enough  epoxy back into the laminations.  Whichever method you use, the epoxy in the patch or forced into the laminates needs to be thickened.

I would cut out the damaged ply where it covers the slot in the trunk.  Then sand, clean,  epoxy, sand.  When  prepped I would glue (epoxy) a piece of hard wood across the trunk located such that it becomes the stop for the board to bang into.  Any good hardwood will do.  Then sand and paint for looks.

• Like 1

Hirilonde and Paul356,  thanks for the help.  For now, I pieced together a epoxy glue-fiberglass strip kind of thing that I'm hoping will be ok for the races tomorrow. I think,however, that one of your ideas would be a more permanent fix that I will try to get to in the fall.  I notice that whatever board I put in there will need to have a fair amount of bevel so it doesn't interfere with the way the pulley of the centerboard is at rest when in the up position (that is, centerboard down).  I thank you both for your advice.

Since this area takes such abuse I would cut back the affected area do a good scarf joint and replace with a piece of white oak or maple these woods are water resistant due to the tight fiber cells they will stand up longer than any of the pine tree varieties.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Supporting Members

Supporting Members can create Clubs, photo Galleries, don't see ads and make messing-about.com possible! Become a Supporting Member - only $12 for the next year. Pay by PayPal or credit card.

• Similar Content

• By tfrei
      My tiller broke today on my cs17 in the middle of the lake.  Made a duck tape repair on the water and was able to let the wind blow us back to my side of the lake.  Thankfully, the wind was blowing the right way.  I bought this boat as the third owner, but I think it came with the plans so I should be able to re-make what I need for the repair.  Wondering whether there are any updates to the design that might help me.  Also wondiering about the wood choices.  Wood that broke looks dark and slightly reddish.  Mahogany?  Are there any drop-in consumer replacements that I should consider?  Does B and B sell the rudder/tiller assembly as a kit?  Thanks in advance for your help.  I'll attach some pictures.

• By rgleason
      Hi everyone, 
      I built my S9N in NC a couple of years ago. It has served me quite well.  

I recently had an incident; bringing my S9N back to FL from NC it came loose from the top of the car and crashed onto the freeway.  The aft half sustained very minimal damaged. The forward half didn't fair as well. I have a couple of gunwale to chine cracks through and through. However the worst part for me is the gunwales. 

On the port side I have just about 16 inches handing on in good shape, the rest of the port side gunwale is splintered on the freeway. The Starbord side has a little more than half it's length left although it is going on by a couple of inches. 

Does anyone have any advise for repairing or replacing these forward half gunwales?   I appreciate the help and will gladly send photos if need. 

Thanks,  

Ralph G

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.