rub strip materials??

Walter T

I will need to protect the stem and the keel with some sort of rub strip. I will have a fairly sharp bend to make and would like to know what materials might work for this. I have a bunch of ash and left over cedar. Some folks claim that ash rots quickly and cedar is to soft. Metal, plastic wood.....?

Thanks in advance

Walter

Walter:

Here's another option for rub strips. Pictures are of the bow of my Ravenswood. The strip is a piece of vinyl about 32" long, 7/16" wide, and 1/16" thick. I cut it from a slat used to insert in a chainlink fence. It's fastened with #4 stainless steel flathead screws on 4" centers and painted with the rest of the hull. Works like a charm and lighter than bronze. No signs of deterioration.

Fair winds, Andy

CIMG1637.thumb.jpg.ae040ef2879f133794e4c9bd2474b688.jpgCIMG1638.thumb.jpg.f6b9c67548389b7844eb2d853e97016b.jpg

• Like 1

I just finished a Tadpole and used strips of King's StarBoard (HDPE) at both ends.  I cut them from 1/4" sheet, which is probably overkill, but it worked well.  In the photos below you can see that I ran the rub strips all the way up to cover the ends of the seam.  The material softens enough when hit with a heat gun that I was able to bend it to make it fit against the end of the seam.(I did that off of the boat, just to be clear!)

Brad

IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_4822.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/28/2018 at 10:45 PM, PNWSOF said:

I just finished a Tadpole and used strips of King's StarBoard (HDPE) at both ends.  I cut them from 1/4" sheet, which is probably overkill, but it worked well.  In the photos below you can see that I ran the rub strips all the way up to cover the ends of the seam.  The material softens enough when hit with a heat gun that I was able to bend it to make it fit against the end of the seam.

Brad, I'm interested in learning more about what you did here. Do you have any process photos? Or shots of the stem before the strips were added? What kind of seam is hiding under there?

• 1 month later...

I just saw this follow-up now. Sorry to be slow. I've attached a couple of pictures showing what the seam looked like before painting and covering with the strip. At the ends of the boat, I cut the fabric and pulled flaps over the bow and stern pieces and stapled them. (I used monel staples 'cause I had a bunch on hand.) There's a double-corded seam along the top of the boat, and at the ends I used a hot knife to slice the cords off vertically. My HDPE piece sticks up far enough to cover the end of the double-corded seam so everything looks tidy. I hit the end of the HDPE with a heat gun to get the sharp kink required to cover the end of the seam. I bedded the strip in lexel when it got applied, so it helped keep everything watertight as well. I've used this approach on two boats now and it's holding up well.

IMG_4656.thumb.jpg.4c0f56e6a9f91dee7a21a7148d88b88c.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

• Like 1