New guy building two Ravenswoods

bagarre

I didn't think about that with the paracord but, nylon does stretch a lot when wet.

I did the hull with spirit lines goo and rare earth pigments as well and will never do that again. WAY too much work for the return.

I ended up using all of the pigment for the two boats which might have been a little too much.

If I do more boats, I will look into nylon and stain it as we really like the look.

I like the reflective yarn idea as well. Thanks for the link!

Regarding your perimeter lines, you'll find that as soon as your paracord gets wet, it will stretch like crazy. Nylon absorbs water and softens. I tried nylon paracord on my pygmy and was surprised at how much it sagged when I got it in the water.

If I do more boats, I will look into nylon and stain it as we really like the look.

I have boats with poly and nylon lines and you can tell which is which very quickly.  The nylon starts sagging pretty quickly but it does make it easy to get the life line if you need it.

Keep in mind that nylon skin will go loose too. I have done a couple and they all loosened up, some more than others.  That is why I only sell polyester. If you want a similar look to nylon with goop you should be able to use a polyurethane and tint it.  If you can find oil based you can use a little oil based paint to tint it. Just try a small sample to make sure it is comparable.

Have not tried water based but I would bet you could tint it to with water based paint. Again test a small amount!!

The clear urethane and a touch of wood stain turned out beautiful on the deck.

The more layers you put on, the darker it gets which makes hitting a color hit or miss. I wonder if an initial coat of heavily stained urethan and subsequent clear coats would work.

I'd like to see a few nylon boats to see how much they slack up. Some photos really show wrinkles tho.

I'd like to see a few nylon boats to see how much they slack up. Some photos really show wrinkles tho.

My experience is that it depends....  Some fabrics are worst than others. Lighter fabrics wrinkled worse than the heavier ones I tried. Some say they have great luck sewing it wet, didn't work for me. Still looked like a prune.