Jump to content

bagarre

Members
  • Content Count

    96
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

bagarre last won the day on August 26 2016

bagarre had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

5 Neutral

About bagarre

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Recent Profile Visitors

2,242 profile views
  1. I didn't know how to attach a video clip but I thought this one adequately closes out this build thread. Many thanks for designing a great boat. https://goo.gl/photos/9v4NzBzQtKvhxrX38
  2. FWIW my wife paddled her new Ravenswood and described it as rock solid. Her past experience was plastic rentals a few times. I thought she'd take a while to get used to it but it took her 10 seconds.
  3. The clear urethane and a touch of wood stain turned out beautiful on the deck. The more layers you put on, the darker it gets which makes hitting a color hit or miss. I wonder if an initial coat of heavily stained urethan and subsequent clear coats would work. I'd like to see a few nylon boats to see how much they slack up. Some photos really show wrinkles tho.
  4. Even with random sizes, it's an enormous time saver to buy pre-ripped stringers. I bought the frames kit to save time in cutting. But that's a lot of intricate cutting. I don't know if I could justify $350 a boat for the stringers tho. For me: Cutting the frames for two boats seemed really tedious and a screw up meant throwing away a frame. The stringers were pretty fast work with a table saw. But, I do own a table saw. I think you're target for stringers will be a person without access to a table saw or band saw. There are a lot of those folks out there. Would it be such a bad thing to offer ripped lengths and let the builder scarf them to the right lengths? That's already a time saver. Maybe offer free plans to make a scarf jig for a hand saw.
  5. Everything except building the stringers and painting the dacron was done in my living room so, I was watching TV I had a personal goal to get these done as a fast project so, most everything else in life was set aside. Oh, and we have no kids if it wasnt for my OCD on the coamings and a snafu in shipping the urethane goop, I could have been done in a month.
  6. Yeah, central California has had it rough the last few years.
  7. Almost two months to the day, they are in the water. I forgot my phone at home and we didn't want to pass hers over the water so we only have photos of the one boat. Wonderfully stable boats. Even my wife who has only paddled two or three times was instantly comfortable and confident in it. More shots to come but it's raining today. This one shows the paddle. Very pretty, works well but too much hard wood to a touch heavier than I'd like. Will make a great second paddle.
  8. I didn't think about that with the paracord but, nylon does stretch a lot when wet. I did the hull with spirit lines goo and rare earth pigments as well and will never do that again. WAY too much work for the return. I ended up using all of the pigment for the two boats which might have been a little too much. If I do more boats, I will look into nylon and stain it as we really like the look. I like the reflective yarn idea as well. Thanks for the link!
  9. Nice! I ended up making a scrub plane as well as buying a draw knife. Even being a new blade, I still had a few hours getting the edge right. Between the two, I use the draw knife more. It's just me but I feel like I have more control with it. It might also be that I like to watch the way the blade works the wood.
  10. Beautiful looking boat and it's great that you built it together.
  11. Deck rigging done on boat #2. The leather is 1/4" but I think it's a bit too thin. We'll find out the first time I need to use it Side lines and grab handles are a continuous piece of para-cord stuff. Being that long, it has a fair amount of stretch but not so much to not be usable as a safety line. Loops thru the deck line holes hold the safety line in place. I'm pretty happy with everything - so long as the leather holds up.
  12. On the first boat, I couldnt figure out how to pull the fabric up to make the bow really neat and clean. So, first boat I sewed the curve. On the second boat I figured it out and was able to do the Bow with no seam. BUT when I tried to do it on the stern it didnt work out quite well. So, seam it was. I made up some maple and walnut rub rails for them that I plan to install with a few #6 screws. I still need to work that out.
  13. Here we are, watching paint dry The decks are oil based urethane. First coat was thinned out and a little stain added for color. The hull is skinboat's goop. Need to add the leather straps and toggles tomorrow but I should be on the water this weekend.
  14. I thinned mine with some turpentine to let it soak in and penetrate joints better. With marine plywood and cedar, I dont think rot is really a concern for the average boat. There's probably a valid argument to skip the BLO all together unless it will be left out in the weather.
  15. Thanks. I'm really enjoying the build but the finish introduced a level of frustration I wasn't prepared for. We're contemplating a regular urethane varnish on the decks vs risking it with the goop. The two tone would look nice and the lighter decks would stay cooler in the sun. The paw prints were my wife's idea. I plan to have more fun topside. I'm getting pretty good at drawing these little guys with a sharpie. The fabric bleed actually makes it look a bit more authentic too.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.