The Arkansas Short Shot

Pilotlon

Finally got started on the Short Shot, after much delay for eye surgery, etc.  I hope to be on one of the many lakes here by the end of next month. Ordering skin, foot rests, etc this coming week.  Even "naked" in the garage, it looks so sleek, low, lean....can't wait to get the skin on.  Planning a flag motif (red-white-blue), but I won't be ready in time for July 4th, unfortunately.

Lon 

post-3727-0-71192200-1466357076_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good, really enjoy paddling my Short Shot. She tracks amazing well ( no need for a skeg or rudder)  but also is very responsive to turning. I am waiting on plans (laminated beam) to build a Shad but the performance of the short shot will be hard to beat.  Enjoy

Looking good, really enjoy paddling my Short Shot. She tracks amazing well ( no need for a skeg or rudder)  but also is very responsive to turning. I am waiting on plans (laminated beam) to build a Shad but the performance of the short shot will be hard to beat.  Enjoy

That's really good to hear.  Put in the last stringers and started lashing the frame today, and beginning to fair in the stringers at the bow.  Foot rests arrived yesterday, and skin, etc, should arrive by Saturday.  I hope to have some better pics next week.

I'm just putting on the last four stringers.  At the Short Shot frame 12' 9" there are two stringer notches along the bottom part of the frame....but no matching notches for them at frame 14' 9" (the bow). Do they simply come on forward to fair into the bow like the other stringers? Or, do they get trimmed, and end, at frame 12' 9".  I can't find a picture of this area of the bow in the book, since it's just general construction instructions.

EDIT:  Added picture to better explain question.

post-3727-0-16079500-1466849978_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Jeff.  I sure wouldn't have thought that this section applied to the Short Shot, since it reads "applies to Long Shot and Firefly only".  I'm assuming that I should trim those bottom stringers 2 1/2" in front of frame # 1; 0"

But this is the stern.  My question refers to the bow stringers.....and, the only picture I can find in the manual (p 36...illustration 108) shows a gunwale and a stringer meeting with the bow plate.  But, this is also not a picture of the Short Shot. So, I'm still not sure what to do with those bottom two stringers between frame 12' 9" and the bow.

EDIT:  Or, are you saying that the bottom two stringers near the bow, are treated in the same way as they are treated at the stern?

You must have an older copy of the manual.  Short Shot bow, the stringers are pulled together at the bow,  same as Long Shot is at the stern. Be sure they are pulled in enough the skin doesn't touch.

I forget that the manual has been revised several time to fix things like this and not everone has the newest version.

Thanks, Jeff.  Now I know how to proceed.  

The last four stringers are ready to go in tomorrow, and then I can concentrate on final lashing.

Got my supplies delivered...skin, needles, bungee, footrests, etc.  I'm hoping to be ready to skin in two weeks, max...maybe a bit sooner. Today, I worked on the bow area, and will lash in the bow tomorrow.

post-3727-0-57699200-1466882545_thumb.jpg

post-3727-0-57772400-1466882555_thumb.jpg

post-3727-0-89576700-1466882568_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Next time you need a hand holler at me, I'm 4 miles east of Springdale!

Farmboy.....excellent.  I'm just up in Bella Vista, and plan to be out on our local lakes by the end of July.

Here's my FROA.  Have a rocked yard, so no FRame On Grass.  Have to settle for a FRame On Asphalt, instead.  Off of the strongback this morning, for the next steps of outfitting.

post-3727-0-89555100-1467211585_thumb.jpg

post-3727-0-40757700-1467211603_thumb.jpg

• Like 1