A Salty Dog

Chick Ludwig

Thanks Dale. I did have a difficult time understanding the words.

By the way, I'm originally from St. Pete. As kid, my folks had a summer home in Snug Harbor off the Gandy Causeway. I sailed and outboarded (Is that even  a word?) on Masters Bayou and the bay below Gandy Bridge. After I got married, I cruised in a Skipper 20, and later, an 18' wooden centerboard sloop while living in Crystal Beach above Dunedin. My sailing waters were mostly between Dunedin and Tarpon Springs. I really enjoyed that area.

I live on Clearwater Beach but mostly trailer sail my CS 17 Lively up in St. Joseph Sound which is the area you are describing between Dunedin and Tarpon Springs.

How are you enjoying the mountain area?  I have often though of moving up that way.  Especially this time of the year with usually high hurricane activity.

dale

I really like it here for the climate, beauty, and friendly people. While there are places within a couple hours to sail and kinda-sorta cruise, I miss the REAL water---salt water---to cruise on. I will be taking Summer Breeze on a couple or three sailing adventures per season to the coast of North and South Carolina.

Come on up for a visit with your boat / boats. I'll take you on a trip around the local lakes.

I'm sure I would enjoy it, but I still like porpoises, stuff washed up on the beach, tides, the feel of salt water, sea turtles, discovering places that have changed from tidal action and storms since last year, old fishing communities both abandoned and others still occupied for many generations, knowing that "that-a-way" leads to anywhere in the world, listening to the surf on the shore while spending the night in some gunk hole, jelly fish----well, maybe not swimming with them, and other stuff.

Don,

I have sailed the North Channel of Lake Huron with my nephew a few years ago and totally loved it.  I have always wanted to go back with my own 'Lively'.  We chartered a 30ft Catalina. It was strange the first time we anchored near shore not having to look around and check what the tides were going to do.  I liked that.

I love it up there in the summer but would not like their winters so much.  Love salt water.  In our local trailer sailing club we sail various places in and around FL.  There are many lakes to sail in fresh water around FL also. One thing i do enjoy is returning after a fresh water lake sail and not have to worry too much about cleaning the salt water off everything, flushing my 2HP, etc.

Our club.  check us out and come down sometime, you are all welcome to join any of our trips.  http://members.ij.net/wctss/wctss/

dale