Vardo Build

rustyshaklfurd

Test float successful!  Sorry no pics but I was solo today.  Did not want to risk losing the phone in the lake.  Yakima Bowdown racks worked well.  The good, it floats and is water tight as far as I can tell.  No obvious "weeping" through the skin, but it was hard to tell as I got some water in the boat via getting in and through the use of the GP.  I was out for about 20 minutes and I can honestly say it was one of the happiest, most exciting, and  oddly enough peaceful moments I can remember. The lake was calm and was not too crowded.  The boat moved through the water almost silently and with ease, even when paddled by a relative newb such as myself.  

The bad, but not too bad, the satin finish is "weak" in the sense the it rubs off easily with abrasion, i.e. paddle hits the side and a little rub off and transfer on the rack.

My question can the finish be "toughened"? If so, do I paint over it with a gloss oil based enamel?  Is there a polyurethane or another finish that will toughen the boat? Do I add another layer of the satin? If nothing can be done do I just resolve myself to touching up the finish every so often?

Thanks in advance and thank you Jeff for the awesome plans!  My goal was to have a boat by the time I was 30, missed it by a little over a month but man do I love the result of building your own.

• Like 1

Congratulations!

As for the peaceful feeling, I can relate. In my little pirogues and kayaks I always feel so lulled. The sensation is different than swimming, because that is immersion. It's also different in larger boats, like rowboats or small sailboats. Something about my little paddle powered boats makes me want to nap, and I sometimes do.

Paint can be weird stuff. I'd guess maybe it didn't fully cure, too, but I haven't used oil based paints in so long, I've kind of forgotten what it's like...

Thanks!

Totally agree about the swimming.  I think it could definitely be a curing issue, just too excited to test it out I guess.  

Severe thunderstorms were predicted for today so I took down the garage setup to get both cars inside.  So far nothing, but murphys law would state that had I left the car out it would have hailed as predicted.  Hopefully I can set everything back up tomorrow and touch up the few spots that got marred, it is really minimal but it bothers me after all the work.  I also might try getting the back band installed.

post-4951-0-12991800-1436758967_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks!  I am humbled.  I know that feeling, it continues throughout the build.  The forum was a huge help and I am indebted to everyone both in my own post and throughout.  

I'm still not 100% finished but thanks to everyone's input I plan on being done by the end of the week (fingers crossed).

Not quite launch ready but made some progress today.  Got the deck rigging 95% done.  The perimeter line is on as is the bungee up front. I thought 8ft might not be enough and I was right.  I'll have to pick up some more for behind the cockpit.  Decided against toggles at least for now.  Also touched up the few scuff marks from the test float.  Hopefully I can get the back band and back deck rigging on tomorrow.  Hoping to launch on Thursday.

post-4951-0-39555800-1436932878_thumb.jpg

post-4951-0-05605200-1436932888_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Got the additional shock cord today for the back deck and attached it.  Will add the back pad tomorrow if I can figure out wrapping it around the frame and such.  I'll blame today's heat and humidity for my lack of understanding on how to run the bungee.

Now for the exciting news.  In spite of not having the back band on I decided today was the day to launch as thunderstorms are predicted for the rest of the week.  Not to double post but I'll add pics here and in the launch forum.

post-4951-0-83802000-1437016525_thumb.jpg

post-4951-0-41122800-1437016558_thumb.jpg

post-4951-0-05765100-1437016595_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I totally need a red one to be sure.  Might be a curlew or shad.  The third one can be yellow or green, maybe a mix of both.

Got the back band on today.  I was totally over thinking the bungee cord.  

After learning sewing is not that difficult, at least my hackwork kind of sewing, I hand stitched together a cockpit cover for the winter months.  There are lots of good directions online. The best part is it only cost me about 12 bucks, ten for fabric and two for the cord stops.  It is just a bit large which I guess is better than small. I would not trust it on the freeway but might give it a try on the side streets.  The good news is I have enough fabric left over to make another.  

Forgot to add the I weighed the boat using the bathroom scale, might not be the most accurate but it comes in at 33.2 pounds.

Action, I saw in another post on spray skirts I read you had directions on how to make your own.  If you still have them I would be interested.

post-4951-0-52534400-1437169729_thumb.jpg

post-4951-0-92193200-1437169738_thumb.jpg

post-4951-0-54384600-1437169746_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll find them. I put them on my art table, which has a habit of assimilating things. Basically a few measurements of you and the boat, then a little easy math, and some sewing.

I've only ever used my own homemade skirts.

The only thing I won't sew myself is sails, which I got a new one of today...

@Rustyshaklfurd

Nice launch, nice boat, and a nice lake, indeed.

I ordered plans for a Short Shot yesterday, and I'm anxious to get started.  Got my table saw mods finished (new Delta T30 fence, and Incra 1000 SE miter....all on a rock solid 1983 Craftsman contractor's saw), and will start on a scarfing jig today.  This is going to be a Fall project, and I don't expect to be on the water until Spring.  When I get there, however, I have a large, similarly placid lake, just 1 mile away -- Loch Lomond, for any familiar with the Bella Vista, AR area.  Picture is from one of the fingers, where a boat launch is located.

Probably a Red-White-Blue flag motif, named "Freedom", since that's what she will be.....freedom.

Lon in NWArkansas

post-3727-0-61849200-1437297747_thumb.jpg

Okay. Some sketches of the details. Little vees of webbing attach female buckle halves to the chest hem. Then, another piece of webbing and three male buckle halves make the suspenders.

The drawstring tubes are pretty easy, too, just fold under the last inch or so before you stitch it down.

I would use probably 400 or higher denier coated nylon.

Like the kayak, it is much less daunting than your imagination will allow. Just breathe deeply, and dive right in!

post-4050-0-89687800-1437320316_thumb.jpg