Action Tiger builds a Firefly. Slowly.

Action Tiger

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay. I'm free for a while, but am working on a non-Kudzu boat project collaboration with a sail maker friend of mine. Guess what kind of non-Kudzu boat ;)

I got some nice stringer wood, though, and I'm going to start ripping and scarfing. After I get my stock ripped, I can cut my frame notches and set up the frames on the horse.

Shoot, if I'm not careful, I may even build a Firefly one day...

The tenseness of my answer has gnawed at me.

I get wood from a local mill, a tree surgeon friend, a fence yard, an old fashioned lumberyard, or a specialty guy in town (from balsa to zebra wood), in no particular order. None are close, but my life is slow and simple, like me, and all these sources have become familiar, in the most literal sense, over the years.

Sometimes I buy wood from the cull stacks at the box stores, but mostly I just look at the piles and cluck my tongue. I do buy mis-tinted paint there like its crack, though!

These were lumberyard boards someone was supposed to make into a deck or somesuch. Redwood, but we know where they came from, and that they are sequoias. Some careless lumberyard worker keeps putting all the tight grained boards under a cover off to the side...

I got these beautiful pine boards from the tree surgeon, and I would have used them in a heartbeat, but my wife knows wood, too, and they're going to be porch chairs, instead. Stupid screen porch. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Still distracted by my sailing canoe project, recycling water for my garden and fruit trees, and wildfire season. My stringer stock is pretty dry and looks nice. I'm working on a simple, easy to make jig to make these scarf cuts by hand.

I ain't forget the boat. The frames are stacked on my drawing table, so I see them everyday. They remind me that I'm scatterbrained.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to checkout some 20ish foot long slabs of wood next weekend. Some pine and sequoia, which may yield something I can make full length stringers from. Snobby, eh? Then again, they may have grown so quickly as to be inadequate for boat use.

Anyway, other boat is still on the horse, so I got another few weeks before these frames go up no matter what.

I will paddle this boat before the year is out, though. Shoot, all the hard work is already done!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I should note to be careful about the cleat placement on your horse. I'm used to putting the cleat on whichever side of the line so the mold/frame ends up on the right side, but here, you have an extra player.

I had to reposition two cleats to make sure the frame ended up on the right side of the line, not the frame holder deal.

Nothing scary or difficult, just something to pay attention to. One of the innumerable ways to goof up! Trust me, I know lots of them. :)