BRS17 motor test

Phil Stallings

I have been breaking my motor in and the best hull speed I got was 16mph with a hand held GPS. The motor I have is a Suzuki 15hp 4 stroke long shaft. I took it to Graham Byrnes Saturday and told him that with the motor tucked in water would come in over the transom, when I kicked it out it was a little better but the bow was way up in the air. Graham decided that we should raise the motor on the transom about 1.25". This made made a tremendous improvement. I can now tuck the motor in and the water stays out of the boat and I am now running 17.3 knots per the chart plotter that I installed. Needless to say I am very pleased with the performance. When I got back to the house Saturday I started making the modifications. I will have to include the pictures in two post because of the size.

post-794-0-97587100-1300149121_thumb.jpg

post-794-0-46399700-1300149127_thumb.jpg

I have been breaking my motor in and the best hull speed I got was 16mph with a hand held GPS. The motor I have is a Suzuki 15hp 4 stroke long shaft. I took it to Graham Byrnes Saturday and told him that with the motor tucked in water would come in over the transom, when I kicked it out it was a little better but the bow was way up in the air. Graham decided that we should raise the motor on the transom about 1.25". This made made a tremendous improvement. I can now tuck the motor in and the water stays out of the boat and I am now running 17.3 knots per the chart plotter that I installed. Needless to say I am very pleased with the performance. When I got back to the house Saturday I started making the modifications. I will have to include the pictures in two post because of the size.

post-794-0-88403700-1300149310_thumb.jpg

post-794-0-74484700-1300149316_thumb.jpg

post-794-0-76203000-1300149319_thumb.jpg

She handles very well and and 17.3 knots was with a passenger. I built the boat mainly for fishing and didn't install a center board trunk. The weather is very warm down here and I am hoping to get back in the water this weekend and see how she preforms with 4 people. I can't wait to get back in the marsh and catch some drum.

For experimental purposes you can "shim" the engine up. On my outboard runabout (pleasure boat) I would shim the engine up with strips of cedar shingle or paint stirrer sticks. Jacked it up until the prop began to cavitate in a hard turn. Warnings: Clamps must remain on the transom, and if you do not have metal clamp plates be very attentive because the engine can shake loose. When you find the right height you can permanently attach a riser and make it all pretty and neat.

Phil, The speed of your boat sounds fine and getting the prop up where it should be is always a good thing. As said, the limit is often to get it high without having too much ventilation in turns. However, the aft bottom shape is driving the bow up and it is too high even with the passenger up forward. By too high I mean that the boat will slam and be wet and uncomfortable in a chop. The BRS does not have enough forward deadrise to overcome this problem. The aft bottom shape of the BRR would reduce or eliminate this tendency.

This was my first build and if I knew better when I started I would have built a BRR, but it is what it is and I don't know what I can do about it now and I am pleased with the way it handles being it is a non plaining hull. When I get the money saved up my next boat will be a plaining hull. Right now I am trying to finish the modifications so I can get it back in the water this weekend and have some fun.

Were you cruising Brices Creek about 10 AM today? Yes, I'm sure that was you - dark green boat. Sure is pretty. Do you launch from Merchants? If so I am a block away, often walk to Merchants to repair holes in our bread/milk/OJ supply. Going to the Beaufort Wooden Boat Show in May? I'll be dragging a couple of my creations down there.

Were you cruising Brices Creek about 10 AM today? Yes, I'm sure that was you - dark green boat. Sure is pretty. Do you launch from Merchants? If so I am a block away, often walk to Merchants to repair holes in our bread/milk/OJ supply. Going to the Beaufort Wooden Boat Show in May? I'll be dragging a couple of my creations down there.

That was me and the other wooden boat was a buddy of mine from Alaska. We were planning on running up to the Neuse today and decided to turn back before we got to Tidewater because it was blowing to hard. We did run up Brices Creek to the Wildlife landing. I volunteer at the Water Craft Center on Saturdays in Beaufort and had planned on taking my boat to the show this year but my brother decided to get married that Saturday. live right down the street in Deer Run and drop in Merchants all the time. I have been doing woodworking for a few years as a hobby and have built about 80% of the furniture in the house. If it isn't blowing tomorrow we plan on going out again, give us a holler if you see us. Do you build Hydro Planes? The guy that helps me at the boat shop on Saturdays use to build Hydro Planes.

That was me and the other wooden boat was a buddy of mine from Alaska. We were planning on running up to the Neuse today and decided to turn back before we got to Tidewater because it was blowing to hard. We did run up Brices Creek to the Wildlife landing. I volunteer at the Water Craft Center on Saturdays in Beaufort and had planned on taking my boat to the show this year but my brother decided to get married that Saturday. live right down the street in Deer Run and drop in Merchants all the time. I have been doing woodworking for a few years as a hobby and have built about 80% of the furniture in the house. If it isn't blowing tomorrow we plan on going out again, give us a holler if you see us. Do you build Hydro Planes? The guy that helps me at the boat shop on Saturdays use to build Hydro Planes.

I used to build stock outboard hydroplanes when I actively raced, but now I build rec boats. Probably miss you tomorrow. I have open shift at the airport (4 AM) so shortly after noon I should be napping. One of my boats (23' Parker named "Carolina Girl") is on the end slip at the NBYC docks near the mouth of the creek. All the other boats are at the house - no HOA in my `hood - Yahhoo!

• Like 1

Your star watching bow can be controlled to a degree with a "Doel-Fin" type of ventilation plate addition. On your boat, with it's expected speeds, don't use the delta shaped foils, but instead look for the longer wing like styles. They will permit you to jump up on plane faster and more importantly fairly level. With the hull shape you're working with, you're at a disadvantage, but a Doel-Fin type of ventilation plate foil will make substantial improvements in you trim angles.