X+2 feet

Gordy Hill

It seems to me that any boat one has for any length of time is two feet too short. Thus, the perfect boat is X+2 feet. This works well until the boat is large enough to need a dinghy. The dinghy, though functional, is too small. In order to have a 'proper' dinghy, one's boat needs to be two feet longer. One then discovers that the dinghy is used much more than the big thing tied to the dock, and is really much more fun. Actually, the dinghy would be perfect if it were just two feet longer....

This thread reminds me of the comic strip regarding how different people view your house.  It shows how you see it, the tax assessor, bank appraiser, insurance adjuster, etc..

Only in this case it is always you, but the location or circumstances are what change.  In the water your boat is too small.  When trailering or storing it away it is too big.  You just can't win.  I think we should all sell all of our boats and find a new hobby.  We can never seem to get it right!    ;)

I think the obvious solution is a dehydrated boat technology.  Upon launching, it would swell to 4x its trailered size, and shrink when not in use.  Of course, as it got older, it might lose some of it's ability to respond to the environment correctly, but I'm sure Pfizer could come up with a solution...

I think the obvious solution is a dehydrated boat technology.  Upon launching, it would swell to 4x its trailered size, and shrink when not in use.

I found the solution for myself. I tie my boat up to my ego - then it's always much bigger than I think it is.

For which there is no 'Fizer' solution.

Dehydrated boat--aha: water ballast! 

Actually, my CS20 Beatrice Ann is my first boat, and I've built only smaller since.  But it's still the Beatrice Ann that's used the most, and has the big adventures.  So far, I have no desire for anything bigger.