PAR needs help

PAR

Hi Everyone,

I've lost my address book, contact lists, previously received and sent emails, the whole works. I now have to rebuild this data base.

I'd like to ask all that have had email contact with me to resend their last emails if possible or to just drop me a line, so I can update the new service.

Those of you using Embarq, strongly consider switching to another service. They've been purchased and mistakes are been made (like dumping a half a gig worth of my contact information for example) as well as new company policies that prevent the retrieval of old, stored lists, emails, etc.

Personally, I feel as though I've been robbed. In spite of some nice folks over there that tried to help, new policies, just implemented prevented them from doing much.

Drop me a line at PARyachts "at" Comcast.net so I can rebuild by lists.

Thanks folks.

Best Regards,

Paul (PAR)

Not meaning to capitalize on another's misfortune, but this is a good reminder to me personally to back up my stuff.

Sorry to hear about your major headache.

They had to install a new o.s. on my computer this week, and it's amazing how many little streamlined shortcuts and stuff you lose.

Its tough to lose things, and losing them to an online service is the worst; when they go belly up there's no chance of getting your data back.  That's why I think "cloud computing" won't happen any time soon.  Too much risk that some company will decide to pull the plug on everything.

But even locally stored address books and browser settings are tough to restore unless you are using disk imaging software.  There is a freeware utility I read about ... at http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=1154 ... that creates a back up of your email and browser settings.  Haven't tried it yet, but it looked interesting.